Catholic Weddings

NWR: Catechism

I posted on here about this before, but I've volunteered to be a catechist for the 2nd grade.  That's the year our church has the kids celebrate their first Reconcilliation and First Communion.

Our first session is on the 25th.  I was wondering if anyone remembers anything special from their religious education - songs, projects, etc?  We have a book of crafts, but I know there are plenty of other wonderful ideas out there, and I figured you ladies might have some.
Photobucket

Re: NWR: Catechism

• edited December 2011
    I don't have any projects or anything, but I do suggest sharing saint stories each week.  You certainly have a curriculum to teach -- they need to learn about the sacraments they are about to receive for the first time.  But that doesn't mean you can't find a little time to squeeze in a saint story.  Saint stories can teach excellent lessons to the kids, and they also inspire!

When I taught pre-K religious education, I told them stories about saints.  When I taught 6th grade, I had the kids take turns, and each week one child would pick and research a saint to tell the class all about.  The kids always seemed to enjoy this, and looked forward to the last few minutes of class each week, since that's when we shared saint stories.

• edited December 2011
    We did a mock communion to practice for it. The catechist used purple kool-aid and shortbread cookies. It was a really fun way to learn about it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know if this is standard or not, but our catechism workbooks in second grade were special.  The one we had until reconcilation was silver, and the one preparing for the Eucharist was gold.  And they were sparkly.  And I loved them.  It just reinforced to 7-year-old me that these sacraments were a big deal.
  • zelis42zelis42 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nwr-catechism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:74a91e1a-dd6f-44c8-a771-17487d94265dPost:9300c532-83e4-4a32-8df8-51ccb49b1079">Re: NWR: Catechism</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know if this is standard or not, but our catechism workbooks in second grade were special.  The one we had until reconcilation was silver, and the one preparing for the Eucharist was gold.  And they were sparkly.  And I loved them.  It just reinforced to 7-year-old me that these sacraments were a big deal.
    Posted by Meg1036[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>We had those, too.  In fact, I was looking at mine the other day, actually (man, was I a bad artist).  Unfortunately, St. Joe's does not.  They have the Blest Are We books and that's it.  On the bright side, the kids get to keep their books.  We put their names on them and everything.

</div>
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards