Catholic Weddings
Options

Where have you traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play!

To keep the board buzzing, and to "meet" some of the newbies/lurkers:

Where have you travelled within the US?

Where have you travelled outside of the US?

Where is your favorite place to vacation?

Re: Where have you traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-have-traveledfavorite-vacation-spots-lurkers-come-play?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:76d9a6a1-cfb9-4b71-9edc-130dfb74c726Post:1c3991a4-457f-48c8-bb3b-750f5f0c3028">Where have traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play!</a>:
    [QUOTE]To keep the board buzzing, and to "meet" some of the newbies/lurkers: Where have you travelled within the US? Where have you travelled outside of the US? Where is your favorite place to vacation?
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div><strong>Within the US:</strong>  A bit of a hodgepodge... mostly Wisconsin, Michigan and the North Shore of MN! Have also been to or through Colorado, South Dakota, North Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Texas, North Carolina, New York, Ohio, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Ilinois, Oregon & California.</div><div>
    </div><div><strong>Outside the US: </strong> Toronto, Canada and Italy</div><div>
    </div><div><strong>Favorite places to vacation: </strong> So far, my favorites have been southern Oregon, San Antonio TX and Colorado!  I do love me some north shore and cabins in northern MN and WI, though...

</div>
  • Options
    Within the US: All over Michigan, Ohio, Chicago, Northern Minnesota, California, Florida, New York (city and Niagra,) and when I was younger a bit more on the East coast that I don't remember much of: Philadelphia, West Virginia, Delaware.

Outside the US: Canada, Mexico, Honduras, London, Northern Ireland, Italy, Paris, Germany

Vacation: I really like just going up to Northern Michigan where my family has a cottage. I just have so many happy memories from there! But, I also like a good lay-on-the-Caribbean beach vacation!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    FL (Melbourne), GA (Atlanta), NC (OBX, Charlotte), MD, NY, MA, CT, NH, OH, PA, RI....basically, the whole east coast/NE, and OH
    Nowhere :(
    OBX is a favorite of mine.  Close second/third are Boston and Cincy

• Options
    Within the US--Mostly the West/Southwest, Northeast, & Southeast. Spent a lot of time in New York & DC, Savannah & Charleston. I've been to probably 30 states but a lot of it was driving through.

Outside the US--England, Ireland, Australia, Dominican Republic

Vacation--I've really enjoyed everywhere I've been. I would really love to see more of Europe. We may try to go to Spain to see DH's relatives in the spring depending on how airline prices go.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Where have you travelled within the US? Besides, NY...MA, RI, CT, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, VA, NC, SC, FL, TN, IN

England, France, Mexico, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Tortola, Australia

Where is your favorite place to vacation? Our family spot is very southern Jersey Shore... NOT at all what you see on the show. It's gorgeous and peaceful. I hope to continue going every year and share it with our children.

Otherwise, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Australia. I lived there for a few months and just fell in love. I would move there completely if I could convince my family. It is an amazing country.
  • Options
    Where have you travelled within the US? WI (obviously), AZ, CA, CO, FL, HI, IL, IN, IA, KS, MD, MN, MO, NV, OH, PA, SC, TX, UT, WA, DC

Where have you travelled outside of the US? Just got back from Bermuda as my first international trip. It was awesome.

DH and I like to explore major cities via public transportation and walking all over the place! Our favorites are Washington DC, Boston, Chicago, San Diego, San Antonio and Philly.
  • Options

Where have you  traveled within the US?
    I barely travel, but have been to Cape Cod several times, Maine for a wedding where my husband and I started dating, Key West and Hawaii. 

Cancun is the only place I've been outside US!

Cape Cod for sure. LOVE it there, so many family memories. 

My husband has been to many places and keeps telling me of places he thinks I'd love to see. Hopefully we will travel some time! I want to go to Italy, Greece and some of the Isands.
    ~ES~
  • Options
    ChloeaghChloeagh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2012
    Where have you travelled within the US? All over! I've been to about half of the states. Oregon to New York to Florida to Texas. My home is in Minnesota. This summer I took a road trip and I once went on an awesome backpacking trip in the UP, but most of the places were just random traveling with parents.

Mexico, Canada, the Phillippines when I was 2, and Greece this past winter. I still get a "tingly" feeling when I think about that trip to Greece (it was a month long study abroad).

Although Greece was an absolutely amazing trip, my favorite place to vacation is Grand Marais, MN. It's this tiny town on the North Shore, about 3 hours north of Duluth. It's a beautiful place with a lot of really cool things to check out and I have some very special memories from my trips there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ME, NH, (VT, from there), MA (live there now), RI, CT, NY, VA, PA, FL, WI, MO, WA, OR, CA, AZ, NV

Toronto and Montreal, Canada, Bermuda, Iceland, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Belgium, France, Netherlands, Italy, Bahamas.

I try not to visit the same place twice as there are so many places i want to see!  But the Maine coast is a frequent trip since its only an hour away and of all the places ive been, Bermuda is hands down the most gorgeous.  id go every year if i had the money to do it and see somewhere else on the bucket list.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Not enough places!

New Jersey, obviously.:)

New York, Ohio (Lived in the Cleveland area for a while as a kid, since that is where my Dad is originally from) 

Pennsylvania, Virginia, DC, Boston, Lake Champlain, VT.
    and I've been through Maryland briefly.
    Basically all of the weekend driving states!

I'll be going to Florida for our mini honeymoon, which will be my *gasp* first time ever on an air plane..

No where :( FI and I want to get to Italy in February. I'm sure I'll be getting to Potugal eventually since my Fiance has family there.

Ocean City, NJ. It's so peaceful, clean, and relaxing. It's my happy place. I wish I could live there all summer long.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Where have you  traveled within the US?
    I'd say I've been to almost every big geographic region... favorites were my recent cruise to Alaska, and I love the beaches of the Carolinas. I also visited San Diego in college and thought it was the most awesome city ever, mostly because the weather was so perfect!! 

Canada, Mexico, France, Switzerland, England, Italiy, Austria, Hungary, annnnd Germany. I loved Italy, especially Rome and the Vatican, but Florence was my favorite city there. I've also been to the Bahamas which was glorious (we did a cruise there, too)... and in college, I went scuba diving in Bonaire/Aruba/Curacao, which was *amazing*.

FI and I have decided we're definitely beach-goers!! Hoping to save up for a Hawaii honeymoon. We loved our trips to Wrightsville and Hilton Head too, though. Basically anywhere with a beach will be great for us :) The beaches in the Bahamas were just amazing (though crowded, but it didn't bother us).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• Options
    I've been to/through a lot of states for various road trips, but I've actually spent time in ND (western part of the state/Badlands, in addition to where I live now, SD, MN (mostly Twin Cities area), WI (various, hoping to get to the Dells sometime), IL (Chicago only), NY (Buffalo area, where my grandma lives), and VA 

I've been to Canada once, the summer before 9/11 when my mom and I were at Niagara Falls and you could just walk across the bridge to the Canadian side just by showing an ID.  I've also been to Puerto Rico, which is technically a US territory, but still felt like I was really going somewhere!

I love spending time in Buffalo, NY and seeing my grandma.  I also had a great time in Chicago, and plan to go back there sometime with FI (we've both been there separately, but never together). 
  • Options
    Mainly East Coast (VT, MA, RI, CT, NY, NJ, PA, MD, DE, D.C, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL, TN) but also Chicago and Salt Lake City.  (Also Puerto Rico and USVI) I was born in CA but don't remember it or the cross country move to the east coast.  My parents just moved to TX, so I will visit Dallas for the first time over Christmas.

Rome, Spain, Morocco, Hong Kong, Guatemala, Panama, Venezuela, Mexico, Canada, Bermuda and just about every Caribbean island.  I have also visited the Philippians and Singapore but I don't remember them (I was under 4 years old).

Aruba is my favorite island.  I would love to see more of Europe.
    We Do - Since November 3, 2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-have-traveledfavorite-vacation-spots-lurkers-come-play?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:76d9a6a1-cfb9-4b71-9edc-130dfb74c726Post:c03efa27-6d12-4a60-9091-0c6edbb75b1d">Re: Where have you traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play!</a>:
    [QUOTE]. Where is your favorite place to vacation? Ocean City, NJ. It's so peaceful, clean, and relaxing. It's my happy place. I wish I could live there all summer long.
    Posted by christinamarie325[/QUOTE]

Our spot is Sea Isle City :-)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-have-traveledfavorite-vacation-spots-lurkers-come-play?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:76d9a6a1-cfb9-4b71-9edc-130dfb74c726Post:c03efa27-6d12-4a60-9091-0c6edbb75b1d">Re: Where have you traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play!</a>:
    [QUOTE] I'll be going to Florida for our mini honeymoon, which will be my *gasp* first time ever on an air plane..
    Posted by christinamarie325[/QUOTE]

Christina Marie, my FI's first time on an airplane was in June when I took him to meet my dad's side of the family in CT.  I've been taking planes since about 3 months old I didn't believe him at first!
    We Do - Since November 3, 2012
  • Options
    Where have you travelled within the US? I have been to like 30 states -- I've missed the midwest, deep south, Alaska, Hawaii, Connecticut, and Rhode Island.

Where have you travelled outside of the US? I have been to Canada and Mexico (but there is way more to see there!). I have been to France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Switzerland, Prague, London, Venice, Monaco. I studied abroad for a semester in Southern France.

Where is your favorite place to vacation? I like to mix up my vacation spots, but have special fondness for San Diego, NYC, and Santa Barbara (where we went for our mini-moon). I would loooove to take H to France. There are so many places I want to go!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-have-traveledfavorite-vacation-spots-lurkers-come-play?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:76d9a6a1-cfb9-4b71-9edc-130dfb74c726Post:6b63eae7-9f88-4b66-922f-95080065278d">Re: Where have you traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where have you traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play! : Our spot is Sea Isle City :-)
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

<div>Mrs. Brizzle's buns are fabulous there :)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-have-traveledfavorite-vacation-spots-lurkers-come-play?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:76d9a6a1-cfb9-4b71-9edc-130dfb74c726Post:98eff89b-8379-455b-9af2-f77ddae3f046">Re: Where have you traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where have you traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play! : Christina Marie, my FI's first time on an airplane was in June when I took him to meet my dad's side of the family in CT.  I've been taking planes since about 3 months old I didn't believe him at first!
    Posted by kgrawedding[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Glad I'm not alone!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-have-traveledfavorite-vacation-spots-lurkers-come-play?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:76d9a6a1-cfb9-4b71-9edc-130dfb74c726Post:ded73276-b3ef-44c4-a1a8-580327a4e8b7">Re: Where have you traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where have you travelled within the US? I have been to like 30 states -- I've missed the midwest, deep south, Alaska, Hawaii, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. Where have you travelled outside of the US? I have been to Canada and Mexico (but there is way more to see there!). I have been to France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Switzerland, Prague, London, Venice, Monaco. I studied abroad for a semester in Southern France. Where is your favorite place to vacation? I like to mix up my vacation spots, but have special fondness for San Diego, NYC, and Santa Barbara (where we went for our mini-moon). I would loooove to take H to France. There are so many places I want to go!
    Posted by bibliophile2010[/QUOTE]

How was Monaco?  That is my ultimate dream vacation.  FI and I considered it for our honeymoon, but it ended up being a bit out of our price range, so we settled on Belize instead.  We're thinking of saving Monaco for when I finish my PhD program, as a "graduation celebration" of sorts.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've been to Canada once, the summer before 9/11 when my mom and I were at Niagara Falls and you could just walk across the bridge to the Canadian side just by showing an ID. I've also been to Puerto Rico, which is technically a US territory, but still felt like I was really going somewhere!

Erin, i went to school in burlington, vt pre-9-11.  we'd drive over many a weekend to drink and party (hey, you only had to be 18 in canada!)  we used to have such fun with border patrol who knew full well where we were all going and why.  half the time they didnt even check our ID's!  oh, the simple times.....
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-have-traveledfavorite-vacation-spots-lurkers-come-play?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:76d9a6a1-cfb9-4b71-9edc-130dfb74c726Post:f8baa987-8504-4eb6-9f47-e10297d9ce5e">Re: Where have you traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where have you traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play! : How was Monaco?  That is my ultimate dream vacation.  FI and I considered it for our honeymoon, but it ended up being a bit out of our price range, so we settled on Belize instead.  We're thinking of saving Monaco for when I finish my PhD program, as a "graduation celebration" of sorts.
    Posted by elbow23[/QUOTE]

I was only really there for a day, but honestly, that was plenty. I would suggest using Nice as a homebase and daytripping to Monaco and the other cool towns in the area.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Christina, I didn't fly until I was 22 years old.  It was my first job out of college, and I had to fly to Atlanta for two weeks.  By myself. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-have-traveledfavorite-vacation-spots-lurkers-come-play?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:76d9a6a1-cfb9-4b71-9edc-130dfb74c726Post:83b89cca-9f60-46fd-9a32-6fea1d62f0a2">Re: Where have you traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where have you travelled outside of the US? I've been to Canada once, the summer before 9/11 when my mom and I were at Niagara Falls and you could just walk across the bridge to the Canadian side just by showing an ID. I've also been to Puerto Rico, which is technically a US territory, but still felt like I was really going somewhere! Erin, i went to school in burlington, vt pre-9-11.  we'd drive over many a weekend to drink and party (hey, you only had to be 18 in canada!)  we used to have such fun with border patrol who knew full well where we were all going and why.  half the time they didnt even check our ID's!  oh, the simple times.....
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

When we walked over, I didn't even have any photo ID (I only had a learner's permit at the time and hadn't bothered to bring it.)  The border control consisted of asking if we were US citizens, looking at my mom's ID, and her verifying that I was her daughter.  Hard to believe these days that something like that would've been possible!
  • Options
    Inside the US: Philadelphia, PA; Tampa, FL; Fredericksburg, TX; Upstate New York; Charleston, SC; and one time that my family drove from Mississippi to New York and back to pick my sister up from college.  I've also been all over the midwest for regattas.

Outside the US: The only place I've been outside of the US is Dubai, UAE, which was a pretty big trip for the first time out of the country!  It's where H and I got engaged.  =)

Favorites: Well, Dubai will always have a special place in my heart.  I also really loved Charleston (I'd kind of like to move there) and Fredericksburg.
    Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-have-traveledfavorite-vacation-spots-lurkers-come-play?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:76d9a6a1-cfb9-4b71-9edc-130dfb74c726Post:5750b2d2-d39a-43fa-b0e9-d182973c6240">Re: Where have you traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Christina, I didn't fly until I was <strong>22 years old. </strong> It was my first job out of college, and I had to fly to Atlanta for two weeks.  By myself. 
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I would have been really nervous! I think just navigating the airports alone would have been daunting.</div><div>
    </div><div> I'll be 25 tomorrow, so I still have you beat. ;)</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm Canadian but I'll play too because I'm bored and waiting for a client to show up (she's 2.5 hours late...)

Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota and Florida

Well, I am Canadian and so I have been to BC, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and PEI (born and raised in Manitoba). I'd really like to see our northern territories someday.

Outside of North America I have been to Ireland and South Africa (and technically I've been to London England but I've only seen the airport so I'm not counting that) and H and I are going to Namibia and South Africa next summer.

What is your favourite place to vacation?

I really can't choose between Ireland and South Africa. They are both my favourites for very different reasons. I went to SA when I was 19 and it had been a life long dream of mine. I volunteered on a wildlife sanctuary and had the time of my life. H and I got married in Ireland last year and spent two weeks total there. It was fantastic! H and I both felt like we were "home" there. I even got emotion on the plane ride to and from the Emerald Isle. We both get a little choked up now whenever we see anything about Ireland on TV because we both want to go back so badly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This thread makes me want to travel! Especially the mentioning of the MN north shore. My husband goes up to Duluth, Tofte and Grand Marais quite frequently for work so as much as I whine to him about going, he just doesn't have any interest. Sad. As far as international travel, I studied abroad in Scotland 10 years ago and want to go back again. But when it comes down to it, a week at a lake resort with family in northern MN is my ideal vacation.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_where-have-traveledfavorite-vacation-spots-lurkers-come-play?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:76d9a6a1-cfb9-4b71-9edc-130dfb74c726Post:090e3fe2-6ebe-4a80-a0de-28838e2a5bbf">Re:Where have you traveled/Favorite vacation spots? Lurkers come play!</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>This thread makes me want to travel!</strong> Especially the mentioning of the MN north shore. My husband goes up to Duluth, Tofte and Grand Marais quite frequently for work so as much as I whine to him about going, he just doesn't have any interest. Sad. As far as international travel, I studied abroad in Scotland 10 years ago and want to go back again. But when it comes down to it, a week at a lake resort with family in northern MN is my ideal vacation.
    Posted by TeaForMe[/QUOTE]

<div>YES!  My family really didn't do a lot of traveling when I was growing up, so H and I have agreed to pick a new city each year and travel there for a few days.  =)</div>
    Anniversary

• Options
    Where have you travelled within the US?  I have only been west of the Mississippi once and I was 2 years old so I don't remember much.

Where have you travelled outside of the US?  Yes, once on our HM. We went to Jamaica.

Where is your favorite place to vacation? I love the ocean, especially the Clearwater area of FL.
  • Options
    Where have you travelled in the US? New England, New York, Florida, Seattle WA, and Maui and the Big Island Where have you traveled outside US? Italy, Paris, London, Aruba, Carribean Islands, Bahamas, Barcelona, Munich Favorite place to Vacation? Favorite place I've vacationed is Hawaii but favorite place to vacation that we can go every year is Burlington and Stowe Vermont area
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards