Catholic Weddings
Options

Is anybody doing "in memory of" at the ceremony?

I am wondering what people are doing/did (if anything) in memory of those friends/family that have passed away at the ceremony. 

At our reception, we thought of putting their pictures on a table with their names. While this is seems like a good idea for the reception, what, if anything, should I do during the ceremony? 
118 image
Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!

Re: Is anybody doing "in memory of" at the ceremony?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In our programs we wrote "Here in spirit and in our hearts"  and listed their names. FI didn't want to do memory candles or draw a lot of attention to it.   At the reception we have thought about doing just like what you said and putting pics on a table. 
  • Options
    lburkey21lburkey21 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're listing the names on a pages in our program. Hadn't thought about doing anything at the reception yet. Maybe just a candle and a single flower for each person on a table with a simple poem. We'll see. But definitely names in the program
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We are having a memorial candle set up in front of the first pew at our church for my mother.  My father and I will light it after he walks me up the aisle.  We are not having it announced while we are lighting it what we are lighting or why, but it is noted in our program.

We are having a wedding mass so during the  General Intercession/Prayer of the Faithful, we also included this as one of the prayers:

For those who have died:  especially, Brides’s mother, Jane Doe, Groom’s uncle James Smith, and other members of the Doe and Smith families, that they live in happiness with God, enjoying forever what eye has not seen, ear has not heard and heart has not dreamed.We Pray to the Lord.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    All of those are really nice ideas. But we decided to just mention them at the back of our program. I think you can really do whatever you are comfortable with.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hadn't thought of doing this. thank you for posting this. I'll make sure I put together a list (lots of people have passed in my family and FI's) and get that to my sister who is making the programs.
  • Options
    akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You're welcome mcdol. 

Thanks everybody those are great suggestions. 
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did a mention in the program, and also added an intention in the Prayers of the Faithful:

"For all those who have died, especially [Gulfcoaster's mom] and [Mr.Gulfcoaster's sister and grandpa], may they enjoy eternal rest and happiness in Christ, and may we one day join them rejoicing at the heavenly wedding feast of the eternal and spotless Lamb, Jesus Christ.  We pray to the Lord."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Many people where I am from do a special flower vase on the alter, maybe you are looking for something a little more original though? Maybe you could dedicate something after the mass (release of doves) or something to the loved ones you have lost?
    ~basquing in the wedded bliss~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea of including it in the prayer to the faithful. I am def doing this. We arent using programs.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Fl and I haven't talked about doing anything like this yet. I would love to do it for his grandpa who passed. We are getting married in the church that did this funral. he was a huge part of the family. Also my dad's dad as he was catholic too ( i didn't know him at all he died when i was 5).

thanks for bringing this up! I will need to talk to fl to see what he would like to do!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards