Catholic Weddings
Options

Confused about "paperwork" process...

So quick background...
We're originally from outside of Pittsburgh, but we now live outside of Philadelphia. We will be getting married at a church in Pittsburgh, since that is where we are from. A priest from my childhood will be presiding over the ceremony. He is not the priest at the church where we are actually getting married.

And now my confusion...
The priest who is performing the ceremony told me to take care of the "paperwork" at my home parish. We met with the priest at my home parish here in Philly last night. He did the pre-nuptial investigation, collected our baptismal certificates, and our pre-cana completion certificate. Then he gave it all back to me in an envelope and told me to take it to Pittsburgh (we are going this weekend). I'm just a little confused as to who to give it to--the church where we are actually getting married? Or the priest who is marrying us? Does it have to be submitted to the archdiocese or anything? I guess I should have asked these questions last night, but I was so wrapped up in our conversation with him, I just didn't think to ask. I can try to call him, but he can be difficult to get a hold of at times, as our parish is large and he is very busy.

Can anybody shed some light on this? Maybe share a similar experience? Thanks so much!! Sorry this is a bit long...

Re: Confused about "paperwork" process...

• Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you are supposed to give it to the priest you did your pre-marriage prep with (your home parish).  He will submit it to the archdiocese for approval.  Usually this transaction is mostly handled by the church office staff, is there someone other than the priest you can talk to for verification?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds correct. We were also in the same situation. We were living in GA while we were planning our wedding. We got married in Ohio. Our priest in GA did all of our marriage prep and collected the paperwork. Then he sent it in a big envelope to our priest back home in Ohio that was going to marry us. If you are close enough to deliever it yourself, then I don't see a problem. However, you could always ask your priest there to mail it to the priest that is going to marry you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The church where we are getting married gathered this paperwork and submitted it to the diocese for us, with our application.

Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    Sternbug721Sternbug721 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the help. I spoke to our priest, and apparently each diocese has slightly different procedures. The diocese in which we are actually getting married has the final say, so I think I just have to call the church where we are getting married to check with them. My fiancee is a non-Catholic Christian, so I think we do have to get permission from the bishop, but the priest at the church should be able to help. I appreciate everyone's input! Thanks again. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards