Catholic Weddings

Male Bridal Attendant

My best friend is male and I want him to stand on my side during the ceremony. It does make a huge difference to me whether he stands on my side or my FI. My theory is this, while our siblings are becoming family to both of us during the ceremony and thus can be separated by gender just fine, my best friend is still MY best friend, and so I want him next to me on the most important day of my life. Also, the idea that a girl can only be close to other girls has always struck me as outdated and sexist. Does anyone know though if the Catholic Church lets you do this? 

Re: Male Bridal Attendant

• mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I can't see why they wouldn't allow it. Talk to your priest and ask.
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Usually in a Catholic ceremony all of the attendants except the honour attendants sit in the front row, while the honour attendants stand / sit near the couple on the altar. It shouldn't make a difference to the Church which side he sits on. Definitely a question for your priest, though.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Yep, check with the priest.  Every archdiocese has a different take on what is appropriate and then the priest can make his own determinations about certain things.
  • bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My priest was fine with it. My cousin was my bridesman. But I would ask just to make sure.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I am having a Man of Honor and he is standing at my side and my church is allowing this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards