Catholic Weddings

NWR music/psalm question

Our music director quit in June and DH and I have been filling in for the summer until a new director is hired and the choir resumes in September.

Along with our pastor and liturgical committee, I've found this resource very useful in helping us pick hymns:
http://www.npm.org/Planning/yearc/index.html

My question - on any given Sunday, the site lists a "psalm of the day" which I know is the same psalm listed in the lectionary... so what is the "Suggested Common Psalm"? I always thought the common psalm was the alternative seasonal psalm, but there is a different suggested common psalm for every Sunday. Can it be used in place of the psalm of the day on a given Sunday?

(This is just to satisfy my curiosity, as our choir will be resuming in 2 weeks which means I'll no longer need to do this.)
Baby Birthday Ticker
Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w

Re: NWR music/psalm question

• agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I couldn't find where it said "suggested common psalm'...but from context I can take a guess.

There are usually several seasonal common psalms to choose from, especially during ordinary time. When choosing to do a seasonal, the best thing is to have it relate somewhat to those readings, rather than just singing a random psalm. Perhaps these common psalms were suggested because they relate well.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks agapecarrie. It didn't occur to me that there are SEVERAL common psalms, but that makes much more sense.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards