Catholic Weddings

Wow - pls read this amazing little excerpt from "Life Of Christ"...

. . . by Archbishop Fulton Sheen, relating to the Blessed Mother and our Lord's ministry.  (I may have posted this last year- I can't recall - but it just gets me every time I re-read it!)

There were, in His life, two occasions when His human nature seemed to show an unwillingness to take on His burden of suffering. In the Garden, He asked His Father if it be possible to take away His chalice of woe. But He immediately afterward acquiesced in His Father's will: "Not My will, but Thine be done." The same apparent reluctance was also manifested in the face of the will of His mother. Cana was a rehearsal for Golgotha. He was not questioning the wisdom of beginning His Public Life and going to death at this particular point in time; it was rather a question of submitting His reluctant human nature to obedience to the Cross. There is a striking parallel between His Father's bidding Him to His public death and His mother's bidding Him to His public life. Obedience triumphed in both cases; at Cana, the water was changed into wine; at Calvary, the wine was changed into blood.

He was telling His mother that she was virtually pronouncing a sentence of death over Him. Few are the mothers who send their sons to battlefields; but here was one who was actually hastening the hour of her Son's mortal conflict with the forces of evil. If He agreed to her request, He would be beginning His hour of death and glorification. To the Cross He would go with double commission, one from His Father in heaven, the other from His mother on earth.

Re: Wow - pls read this amazing little excerpt from "Life Of Christ"...

• edited December 2011
    I've heard this before, but I agree it's amazing!
  • caitriona87caitriona87 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for posting!

I just love Abp. Sheen. I just started reading a book of his called The World's First Love, about Mary. It is excellent so far. =)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards