Catholic Weddings
Options

We are now looking for a new Deacon. *Follow up to the meeting.*

Well, we were supposed to meet with the Deacon to begin the marriage prep process. If you read my other post, we were very much looking forward to this meeting because we had been trying to schedule it since December.

FI and I went about 30 minutes out of our way to meet with this guy, since he wasn't going to be at the church. We finally get there, and a lady (who was very nice) said that the Deacon had left several hours earlier and had not been back.

She got him on the phone, and he asked to speak to FI. FI had it explained to him that the Deacon literally told him that he "forgot to write down the time of the meeting, and therefore left the premises and would not be returning that day."

When FI asked if we could reschedule, the Deacon said "well, I'm not sure.... I'll give you a call at some point."

You have got to be kidding me. I'm sorry, but I've been patient through two months of no returned emails or phone calls, rescheduled appointments, etc. We FINALLY get to the point where we are standing in his office at this other random location, and he simply forgot to write it down?!

We left, and then I called the parish office to ask if we could please work with a different Deacon. They explained that no, that's not a possibility because the Deacons take turns doing marriage prep, and it was his turn. Then this guy hung up the phone.

FI and I are doing marriage prep with a different parish.
118 image
Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!

Re: We are now looking for a new Deacon. *Follow up to the meeting.*

• Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good decision. I'm sorry this has been so difficult for you. That deacon needs to re-examine his priorities and time-management skills. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you meltoine. I mean if he is so busy that he can't remember to write down appointment times, then he's clearly too busy to have to do marriage prep stuff.

Oh, he also told FI that he hasn't "made a mistake like this since.... forever ago!" So I'm like, "you mean he's done this BEFORE?!" Which honestly doesn't surprise me, but what does surprise me is that nobody said anything to the parish about this. Either that, or the parish didn't do anything about it.

It's just such a huge waste of time. Plus, people with no sense of what the word appointment mean tend to bug me.
    118 image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow!! I am so sorry to hear all this, sounds very frustrating. Hang in there and remember to smile.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I ca't even believe that.  Very irresponsible.  My fiance's father is a deacon so he is performing our mass along with the pastor.  I wish we were closer, I would reccomend him
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, I would be absolutely livid! That is ridiculous and so irresponsible.  I'm proud of you for finding a different parish. Way to go. In fact, I would go specifcally with a parish that has a wedding coordinator that only does marriage prep.  That way, you know the person will give you the attention you need. 
  • Options
    akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks ladies!

118 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards