Adam

SATURDAY, THE THIRTIETH OF OCTOBER
TWO THOUSAND AND TEN

Re: Honour, Honor? I'm not sure...

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    honour

are you having Mass/  if so, that should also be included on the invite.
  • lisaD26lisaD26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Where would you put that? It's not a full mass, still include?

edited December 2011
    not sure what you mean by "not a full mass"?   if you are having communion, then that means Mass is taking place.

you can add it here:

"at the marriage of their children, lisa and adam, and the celebration of the Nuptial Mass."
    edited December 2011
    also, double check the date format... i'm not sure if its TWO THOUSAND TEN or TWO THOUSAND AND TEN... i dont think you put the "AND" in... but not 100% on that...
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From an etiquette standpoint, it's two thousand and ten, although mathematically, that'd be wrong.

Honor/honour is your preference.  If you go with honour, make sure that you use favour on your RSVP card to maintain consistency.

If it's not a Mass, you might still want to include "the Sacrament of Marriage" somewhere in the body of your invitation to indicate that you are undergoing an important Catholic Sacrament.  I've seen it both ways, but it really touched my priest that I included that phrase.
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_honour-honor-im-not-sure?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d12aed7a-d23f-4f75-b9e4-94e99d4c13ebPost:d1f838db-be04-41cd-a42c-4059f8067915">Re: Honour, Honor? I'm not sure...</a>:
    [QUOTE]From an etiquette standpoint, it's two thousand and ten, although mathematically, that'd be wrong. Honor/honour is your preference.  If you go with honour, make sure that you use favour on your RSVP card to maintain consistency. If it's not a Mass, you might still want to include "the Sacrament of Marriage" somewhere in the body of your invitation to indicate that you are undergoing an important Catholic Sacrament.  I've seen it both ways, but it really touched my priest that I included that phrase.
    Posted by mica178[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto everything she said, <strong>especially on the Sacrament of Marriage part. </strong> Absolutely put that in.  Your marriage in the Church is a Sacrament.</div><div>
    </div><div>But for one thing, maybe it's because I'm an engineer, but two thousand and ten rubs me the wrong way.  The word "and" would denote a decimal point.</div>
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Its only a sacrament if both people are baptized.

I believe "honour" is british and/or canadian.
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_honour-honor-im-not-sure?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d12aed7a-d23f-4f75-b9e4-94e99d4c13ebPost:d58244d8-b86e-421d-9471-681eae2e3b3e">Re: Honour, Honor? I'm not sure...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honour, Honor? I'm not sure... : Ditto everything she said, especially on the Sacrament of Marriage part.  Absolutely put that in.  Your marriage in the Church is a Sacrament. But for one thing, <strong>maybe it's because I'm an engineer, but two thousand and ten rubs me the wrong way.  The word "and" would denote a decimal point.</strong>
    Posted by clearheavens[/QUOTE]

I am an engineer too and I had such a hard time getting over the 'and' in the invitations.  I ended up keeping it in, but it kept me awake at night.

Honor/Favor and Honour/Favour like PP said.  It's a preference thing, but you have to keep it consistent.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_honour-honor-im-not-sure?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d12aed7a-d23f-4f75-b9e4-94e99d4c13ebPost:4d4e3151-9896-41c3-8cb6-de3ff2af05cf">Re: Honour, Honor? I'm not sure...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I I believe "honour" is british and/or canadian.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]

Yep. We decided not to use the Queen's English version, cuz, well, we're in America and neither of us are descendants from there :-)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_honour-honor-im-not-sure?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:d12aed7a-d23f-4f75-b9e4-94e99d4c13ebPost:0a600868-e122-4e55-8ff7-21267e373b35">Re: Honour, Honor? I'm not sure...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honour, Honor? I'm not sure... : Yep. We decided not to use the Queen's English version, cuz, well, we're in America and neither of us are descendants from there :-)
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

Same here.

OP: I would perhaps take our your real names and location of your ceremony for internet safety's sake.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_honour-honor-im-not-sure?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:615Discussion:d12aed7a-d23f-4f75-b9e4-94e99d4c13ebPost:0a600868-e122-4e55-8ff7-21267e373b35">Re: Honour, Honor? I'm not sure...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Honour, Honor? I'm not sure... : Yep. We decided not to use the Queen's English version, cuz, well, we're in America and neither of us are descendants from there :-)
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

Same for us -- we used honor, the standard American spelling.
  • lisaD26lisaD26 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your help. This was great.
  • Bec20Bec20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, honour is the spelling used everywhere outside of the USA.  We like words that have "ou" in them... favour, colour, honour, labour, favourite, etc.  With or without the "u", the spelling is correct somewhere.  I prefer the spellings with the "u"s, because that's what I'm used to.
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards