Catholic Weddings
Options

Update: Ceremony Music

I wrote a while back questioning if churches allow secular music for the the processional & recessional and most everyone advised that No, it wouldn't be possible, it must be liturgical music and it must be live, no pre-recorded music.

I met with our priest this weekend and he said we could certainly use the songs we'd like for our entrance & exit, pending his approval.  Our recessional will be Natalie Cole's (This will be an) Everlasting Love, haven't decided on what our processional will be yet.   He said that only during the service, we MUST use liturgical music and he would like it to be live, but he is ok with recorded music.

Also, in regards to Church fees, not everyone charges $500-1500 for use of the Church.  Our priest advised any money given is a Donation, not an Expected Fee, but the suggested amount is $75. 

I just wanted to post an update in case any new brides to the board have the same questions I did.  I guess the moral of the story is:  Just check with your Priest, all he can do is say no... Or Yes, like he did for us!

Re: Update: Ceremony Music

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, some churches are more strict than others regarding music. Most, like mine, just request that no secular music be played during the ceremony itself. No huge fee here either, just a donation fee.
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I agree that many of the questions that get asked on this board are really best answered by the bride's own priest, not strangers from all over the world.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, ours is really strict about allowing secular music. Our expected contribution/donation is $150 total, but I guess we are getting a little bit of a deal since we will be having the Priest and Deacon.
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_update-ceremony-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:fd8f4bc8-4c6f-4188-8b35-6f4d16648b13Post:b101af49-7bc1-4f1b-8edb-cb5b8b616793">Re: Update: Ceremony Music</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, I agree that many of the questions that get asked on this board are really best answered by the bride's own priest, not strangers from all over the world.
    Posted by ring_pop[/QUOTE]

Absolutely correct!

Secular music was allowed, no fee for the officiant or the church and the only requirement was that the soloist/organist had to be paid $250, used or not.
  • Options
    Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your church is awesome.  
  • Options
    Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    oot!  long time no see.  i've missed butting heads.
  • Options
    mswood1977mswood1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Every parish/diocese has different requirements and restrictions - the only way to know for sure is to contact the parish where your wedding will be held.

My parish does not charge for the use of the church if you are a registered contributing member, but noncontributing members and non-members are charged a fee.  We do pay a refundable cleaning deposite.  Our priest does not charge, thoug it is customary to offer him $200.  Our parish requires you to use the church organist and cantor (both of which have a fee)  if you are having a full mass, if you are doing a ceremony outside of mass you can either have no music or use the church organist/cantor.   Our priest does allow the Wedding March, but no other secular/non-classical music, and he must approve all music.  We are not allowed to use pre-recorded music.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Mommy 3 Months Old image Tristan 3 Months Old Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards