July 2012 Weddings

I-Pod for music?

Anyone not using a DJ? We are considering doing a playlist & putting someone in charge of the I-pod. I have mixed emotions about this..on one hand we are already spending a lot of $ & I do not want to ruin it by not using a DJ, on the other hand I almost feel like it's a waste of $..I have heard some say a DJ can feel the room & keep things moving but I'm just not sold..What do you guys think? Has anyone ever attended an "i-pod wedding"?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I-Pod for music?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_pod-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a120531c-d4df-4648-bb69-e1b68cfee952Post:21f65229-09c3-4d94-9ae6-608edefb1807">Re: I-Pod for music?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never attended an Ipod wedding, but I don't have enough interest in picking out 5+ hours worth of music hoping that I will pick songs that people like.  Plus, think of the money you'd have to spend to legally get all of the songs you'll want to play anyway (unless you already have EVERY new, up to date song that you would want to hear for that long).  I looked around and found a DJ for $800, which is about $400 less than the average DJ where I'm getting married.  He's got great recs and was highly recommended by my DOC.  I'd rather leave it up to a pro to make my wedding great and have somebody be there to announce the bridal party, speeches, cake cutting, dances, etc, and not have a friend or family member "work" my wedding.  That's just my opinion though. 
    Posted by AllyG303[/QUOTE]

I agree with this exactly!  There are 2 things that people remember from a wedding the music and the food.  I don't think the whole ipod thing would go over too well.  Like you said if you are already spending all of this money I don't see why you wouldn't want to have great music.  If you have a good DJ everyone will be out on that dance floor.  You should post on your local board and find out some recommendations from other knotties.
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks everyone! Part of me was considering an i-pod wedding, because I'm a control freak and want to pick my own music. Basically, I don't trust dj's. In my region, most who work the wedding circuit really don't play my type of music, and the ones who I like think that weddings are not good enough for them or something. One of my friends offered to do it, but I wouldn't want him to have to work all night. This is a part of the planning that I don't enjoy. 

But, reading all of this, an i-pod wedding is off the list.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_pod-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a120531c-d4df-4648-bb69-e1b68cfee952Post:5bf31f94-f4fb-4606-958c-ad29d7db4d7f">Re: I-Pod for music?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I-Pod for music? : I agree with this exactly!  There are 2 things that people remember from a wedding the music and the food.  I don't think the whole ipod thing would go over too well.  Like you said if you are already spending all of this money I don't see why you wouldn't want to have great music.  If you have a good DJ everyone will be out on that dance floor.  You should post on your local board and find out some recommendations from other knotties.
    Posted by LADY324[/QUOTE]

This exactly!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Agree with PPs on the cons of the ipod wedding.

We are doing ipod for the cocktail hour. It's only an hour, so we can handle picking the tunes for that, and it will be in a back room so the guests won't even see where it's controlled from, so no worry of them interfering with songs. We are giving our DJ that list we played at the cocktail hour so he knows not to repeat from it, too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2012-weddings_pod-music?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:066005ef-215f-48b1-8655-328b41e07c52Discussion:a120531c-d4df-4648-bb69-e1b68cfee952Post:9a814342-c6ee-49d1-a130-78f6b4e43250">Re: I-Pod for music?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everyone! Part of me was considering an i-pod wedding, because I'm a control freak and want to pick my own music. Basically, I don't trust dj's. In my region, most who work the wedding circuit really don't play my type of music, and the ones who I like think that weddings are not good enough for them or something. One of my friends offered to do it, but I wouldn't want him to have to work all night. This is a part of the planning that I don't enjoy.  But, reading all of this, an i-pod wedding is off the list.
    Posted by Elinetrouwt[/QUOTE]

Eline, you can hire a DJ who will be willing to play your type of music completely. The best thing about them is that you can give them a "do not play" list. And he won't play any song or genre on it if thats not your wish. At least, you  can do this in my area.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards