Florida-West Coast
Options

My Mom's Dress

My mom just bought her dress for the wedding.  She sent me a picture & I don't really care for it.  I asked her to get a long dress (b/c the BM dresses are long), she got a short one.  Not a huge deal... but kind of annoying.  She said it's an olive/bronzy color but in the picture it looks black.  She said she'll return it if I want & sounded disappointed.  I told her if she likes it, then wear it.  I only mentioned to her that I was concerned that in the pictures it would look black.  Now I feel like a jerk...
PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers BabyName Ticker

Re: My Mom's Dress

• Options
    dsm111509dsm111509 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My mom is wearing a pant suit. I wanted her in a dress, especially because she is walking me up the aisle, but getting my mom in a dress? Fat chance. :(But she is my mom and I need to respect her decision and I do want her to be comfortable. Though it is your wedding you need to consider your moms feelings and as long as it isnt hideous, then let her wear what she wants. She doesnt have to match the BM's.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Could you go shopping with her?  If not, just tell her it's a beautiful dress, but not what you imagine for your wedding.  My (now ex-) MIL bought a black wedding dress for my June wedding.  The wedding colors were lilacs and pinks.  The color was too harsh for her and she didn't look like part of the wedding.  I didn't make a big deal about it because our relationship was already rocky and I didn't want to really "sweat the small stuff."  But after some suble hints and once the spring stuff started coming out she got on board and bought a dusty rose color which looked amazing on her.  It sounds like your mom is willing to do what makes you happy.  So just let her return it and make it something fun by going shopping with her.  Enjoy the day together and she won't think anything of getting a dress you didn't like in the first place.  HTH! 
  • Options
    jen812jen812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice.  No, I can't go shopping w/ her.  I live in MA & she lives in FL.  But what's funny is that we looked at dresses online together & the ones that we both liked look nothing like the dress she bought.  She was also so insistent about coordinating w/ the wedding party, but this dress doesn't match at all.  She said she's going to keep looking & bring this one back if she finds something better. 
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey, once everything comes together, you won't be that pre-occupied with what your mom is wearing anyway!!  Just be excited she's there to support you!  You'll have a great time no matter what anyone is wearing!  And if that's the worst that happens, you have nothing to worry about! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom is being a huge pain, too!!! My BMs are wearing long black satin gowns that I picked out a while ago, so I told my mom that she could wear whatever color she wanted as long as it wasn't black or white. What does she do? She goes and picks out and orders custom (NOT returnable) a long black gown with a 2-3 foot train that is COMPLETELY open back with the exception of a few rhinestone straps that cross. If it were cut any lower in the back, she would look like a plumber. The dress is rhinestone spaghetti strap and plunges in the front. My mom is a personal trainer with a body that could out-due Madonna anyday, but I don't understand flaunting and exposing at a wedding, much less your DAUGHTER'S wedding. I was FURIOUS when she showed me. THEN the kicker... I put my foot down and told her that she MUST wear a shaw during the ceremony and after arguing for what seemed like an eternity, she said she would, but she wouldn't keep it on for long. Since I told her she had to wear the shaw, the only color she wants to wear is WHITE, which wouldn't even remotely match the dress. Trust me, I feel your pain...!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards