Florida-West Coast
Options

I know I should, but it's awkward

I just got a shower invite for my boss's wedding (this is a new job just started a month ago)I know I should go to the shower and the wedding, but I'm feeling kind of awkward about it :(  I'll know maybe a total of three people, (her and my two other boss' wives)Anyone else deals with a similar situation? Did you go, not go and just send a gift? (either way I plan on sending a gift for both events, honestly I planned on sending a wedding gift even if I wasn't invited)

Re: I know I should, but it's awkward

• Options
    edited December 2011
    New job.  I'd go.  It is your time to network with your boss and her friends and make a good impression.That is just me.I know it will suck, you won't know anyone, etc.  But...I'd still go.How is the job going?  And do you like this boss?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I do like my boss LOL and the job is going great (my office is only 4 ppl including me LOL) I know I have to go, but it's still going to be weird LOL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would feel very awkward too.  Apparently a person who works in my office asked a co-worker yesterday where I am registered because she heard I was getting married and wants to get me a gift...I have made it clear to my co workers that I don't feel comfortable with that....I have been in my office for a year, but only associate with the people in my section and not the whole huge office of like 150 people..talk about awkward...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah thats weird... some people like getting gifts for people, close or not. I used to do that at my old old old job for birthdays (but thats just because I LOVE birthdays!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LovingHim,I think it is very thoughtful someone in your office wants to give you a gift.  You don't have to feel obligated to invite them to the wedding because of this. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh No, I agree it is very very thoughtful.  I just feel weird about it because it isn't somebody I even talk to on a weekly basis or anything.  In my building they do LARGE office baby showers and wedding showers...and I made sure a few of my close co workers were aware that I really do not want anything like that.  That if the section I work in (9 people) want to do something, I wouldn't be bothered...but a huge shower with all 150ish people would make me very very uncomfortable...you know?  I thought with them not doing anything like that (that I am aware of) then I other people wouldn't think about me getting married...I guess I just talk too loud, lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I understand.  I work from home, but go out to San Francisco a couple times a year when my company is based.  In July we have our annual conference and I know people were talking behind my back like because they saw my ring.  I don't ever see these people, work with them, or interact with them because they aren't on my team.  Obviously everyone on my team knew I was getting married, but the others.One night we went to a party at the CEO's house  (keg party... love our company!) and this girl was like "I like your ring. Are you getting married?"  I mean come on, would I wear a sparkly diamond on my ring finger is I wasn't.But I felt awkward because I don't like to be the attention about superficial things like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't mind if I am BUYING the gift, but for people to buy for ME. I'm like...um...I BEG you to not! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh see, I'll take the gift.  I just don't want to unnecessary attention.  ha.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    signingjuliesigningjulie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, kinda awkward. I say go. It's a new job in a small office. They'll notice if you're not there. You're going to give a gift either way, so why not get something out of it? Besides, weddings are fun, and if you're anything like me, you can take notes on what you liked/didn't like and apply them to your wedding.
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    SHOWER: The guest list for the shower is supposed to be the bride's closest PERSONAL friends. You should not be on that list. I'd suggest dropping off a gift at the shower host's house the day before with regrets that you cannot be there in person. WEDDING; Go to the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards