Florida-West Coast
Options

Etiquette Question..

So, my boss is getting married in November, and after months of telling myself and my co-workers that we were not invited due to budget constraints and that it would be a small intimate wedding, she has changed venues and now we are invited.  The catch, we aren't invited to the ceremony, the cocktail hour, or the dinner, but 4 hours later once the DJ and the cash bar starts....I have two question regarding this, do we get her a gift? I feel a little upset that maybe she is trolling for gifts here and that is the only reason we are invited.  My other question is, does this now mean that my fiancee and I have to invite her to our wedding when we weren't originally planning to invite her (my boss and I are not close personally and often butt heads)?  Any advice would be great!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Etiquette Question..

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly if it was me I would not get her a gift, maybe just a card. I also wouldn't attend the wedding (if you can even call it that)
  • Options
    mnmccloudmnmccloud member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's HORRIBLE- and definitely in poor taste. If you don't think its going to be an issue if you and FI don't attend- I'd pass. Get them a nice card- but that's it! Definitely sounds like shes trolling for gifts. Also, you are under no obligation whatsoever to invite her to your wedding. HTH! GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    First off how totally tacky of your boss. I can understand how you feel like an afterthought and being used for a gift. That being said. This is your boss. You piss her off, unfortunately there could be consequences in the workplace. So I would not attend the afterparty cash bar hoopla BUT I would give a nice card and a an inexpensive gift.
  • Options
    jennifer80808jennifer80808 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is extremely rude and tacky. I honestly, would not even go. I would get her a nice card. Definitely, do NOT feel obligated to invite her to your wedding.
    Photobucket Kennedy Aleise 2/19/11 Life As We Know It
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Get her a card. And don't invite her to your wedding. You don't have anything comparable to what she's offered to you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love all your responses!!  Especially since they justify that I am not going crazy, and that this was a pretty ballsy thing for her to do, not to mention rude.  I think I will probably end up going, if to only make sure my life isn't made a living hell if I don't, but maybe just a card is in order =))
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    signingjuliesigningjulie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is so tacky. Go if you want, if not send a card and if you're feeling nice, a small gift. But you are under no obligation to do so. Again, how tacky.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards