Florida-West Coast
Options

Anyone thought of steaming their own dress?

I am just having sticker shock about steaming a dress and was wondering if anyone has thought of doing their own or know someone that has.  I can buy a nice steamer for the cost a bridal shop will charge and then own a steamer for future use.  I am worried about damaging my dress and don't know if this is an easy endeavor or not.  I am not trying to sound cheap but spending $80 (more than the cost of my alterations to steam a dress seems ridiculous!  Just curious about what you girls think.
image Simon & Simon image Simon at 10 Months Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone thought of steaming their own dress?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Call CiCi's if you are in/near St. Pere.  They are doing mine since I am coming over from Orlando and they said either 30 or 35 (I can't remember!)  As for steaming your own, I'm sure it would be fine!  I was just in a wedding and after traveling it was pretty wrinkled so I just ironed it on a low setting and that was fine!
    BabyFruit Ticker pregnancy
  • Options
    koolcat22koolcat22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Daisy to do my alterations and I'm pretty sure she's only charging me $15 bucks to steam my gown and veil...you might want to check her out...813-246-4630
  • Options
    IdeasOPlentyIdeasOPlenty member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I own a stand-up steamer (like the kind you see in dept. stores, with the log pole you can hang the dress on) so I'm doing my own.   I asked the lady doing my alterations, and she said as long as you're careful to not get any water (condensation) droplets on your dress, it will be fine. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards