Florida-West Coast
Options

Toasting Flute Stress - lol

FI's 95 year old great aunt bought us toasting flutes as an E-Party gift. They are Lenox crystal, and pretty, but just not what I had in mind. They are not engraved, and Things Remembered is going to charge my mom almost $75 to get them engraved! I don't care for the cake serving set that matches, and just told my mom that we would have to have them so they didn't match. She doesn't like the flutes at all and wants to buy us new ones, but I feel guilty doing that. She thinks that FI (and the great aunt) wouldn't remember what they look like, and she could replace them with something nicer and more our style. I honestly don't care that much if they match or not. I guess I'm willing to suck it up and use them just because of the sentimental value. But the more my mom goes on about how she doesn't like them and wants to buy something nicer the worse I feel. Of course, she emails me the set she wants to buy and I LOVE them. :sigh: I know this is all ridiculous....it's a stupid pair of toasting flutes, but ugh....
Photobucket Kennedy Aleise 2/19/11 Life As We Know It

Re: Toasting Flute Stress - lol

• Options
    longboatbridelongboatbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who's wedding is it? Your's and your FI's or your mom's? Your mom can buy you lot's of lovely things in the future. Make a 95 yo lady feel special and use them.
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1.  Have your mom get the set she wants that you love. 2.  Take BOTH sets to the reception venue. 3.  Put the great aunt toasting flutes at the place setting for MOH and Best Man.  Put the Mom toasting flutes at the place setting for you and FI/DH.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry but I'm going to have to agree with longboatbride here! It's toasting flutes. Nobody is going to remember what your toasting with!
  • Options
    Mrs.KristenMrs.Kristen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a similar situation where we got them from a family member and they weren't really what i wanted however we used them to make the person happy and I wasn't looking to insult anyone...No one was looking at the flutes anyway
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How bad could they be? They are only toasting flutes, I'm not even buying special ones, it's kind of unnecessary IMO. Use the ones your Aunt gave you :) I looked at the lenox website...[url]http://www.lenox.com/index.cfm?dept=wedding&cat=ceremony&subcat=toasting[/url]The only ones that are ugly enough not to use are the floating hearts LOL (sorry if someone has these!) and honestly I'd just remove the hanging heart things and be done with it :)
  • Options
    jennifer80808jennifer80808 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I came to a good compromise with my mom. She's going to order the other set and we'll use them for our rehearsal dinner. It's not that the other ones are that bad, just not our style and don't really go with the style of our wedding. My mom told me she's had these picked out since we got engaged and was really upset to know that someone else got the flutes, and even worse that we didn't "love" them. So it's all good.... :)
    Photobucket Kennedy Aleise 2/19/11 Life As We Know It
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay I know you already came up with a compromise, but I feel like I need to put my two cents in.FI's sister/BM did this to us.  We had already found the PERFECT vintage toasting flutes.  They were gorgeous.  My mom & I spent forever looking for them.  Then at my bridal shower BM gifted us a set of engraved crystal flutes.  I just think that any wedding related purchase should be run by you (the bride & groom that is).  It might not be that big of a deal, because it is after all just flutes.  But for so many couples every detail is carefully thought out.  I mean what if you were using the same set as your parents?  Or what if you had already purchased a set?I'm probably going to sound like a b!tch of a bride, but we're using the flutes that we fell in love with.  It's our wedding.  We'll be using our gifted flutes separately while we're getting ready on the big day drowning in mimosa's.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards