Florida-West Coast
Options

what is a grooms cake?

I am starting to hear about it more and more but I dont really understand what it is...please explain

Re: what is a grooms cake?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    As far as where the tradition comes from, I can't tell you.I do know that in the south, most weddings I've ever been to have a groom's cake.  It is the brides' gift to the groom.  The one thing at the wedding that the groom loves.  Most groom's cakes are designed in the groom's alma mater, favorite sport team, hobby, etc.  I will have a groom's cake with the peace corps logo since my fiance was in the peace corps and that is how we met.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i think it was usually a chocolate option or something like that...if youve ever seen steel magnolias-it was the bleeding armadillo!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A long loooong time ago they gave pieces of the grooms cake as the "favor" and sent guests home with it. My FI hates cake so we're doing a grooms pie however he just found out they can put fruit fillings in cake so now who knows!
  • Options
    dogluver315dogluver315 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our grooms cake is a football jersey with the Notre Dame Irish logo, the number 2 for our wedding date and our last name across the top of the jersey. It is, as PP said, something the groom likes.
  • Options
    signingjuliesigningjulie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    our grooms cake is a pile of poker chips since my FI loves poker
  • Options
    jennifer80808jennifer80808 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't decided what exactly I'm doing, but it will be golf related. I'm going to do it in Red Velvet since that's his favorite cake but not what we chose for the wedding cake.
    Photobucket Kennedy Aleise 2/19/11 Life As We Know It
  • Options
    sara76sara76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You just gave me the best idea!  We haven't come to an agreement on the middle layer flavor of our cake because I really don't like red velvet, I guess I just don't like cream cheese frosting.  I want the macadamia flavor that chocolate pi does, since we are going to Maui for the honeymoon.  I can do a red velvet grooms cake instead.  Perfect!  I can get what I want and come out looking like it was all for him, :) JK.  But I do think I will do that!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    From WEDDING CHANNEL.COM: A groom’s cake has its roots in the South, and this once-neglected cake has been making a huge comeback. Intended to be a gift from the bride to the groom, the groom's cake is usually dark (often chocolate or liquor-soaked) and designed with a nod toward what's traditionally considered "masculine" (i.e., no rosettes in sight). The groom's cake can serve many purposes, from dessert at the rehearsal dinner to an alternative choice to the bride's cake at the wedding. It's customary for the groom's cake to be displayed next to the bride's cake and later cut and put into boxes for guests to take home. And believe it or not, legend has it that single women are supposed to sleep with a slice under their pillow the same night they receive it -- and if they do, they'll dream of their future husband. Boxed slices of groom's cake can also serve as your wedding favors. If you go this route, take advantage of the opportunity to get creative with the packaging -- an additional way to reflect your bridal style. A current creative trend in groom's cakes is to have the cake reflect the groom's interests and hobbies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards