Pennsylvania

Seeking a Stroudsburg Area Officiant

We originally planned to use FIs uncle, who is a judge in NY state, to officiate our ceremony, but after digging through the Pennsylvania marriage laws site, I discovered that he won't be allowed to officiate.  Thankfully we hadn't asked him yet.

Anyways, I'm looking for an officiant to perform our ceremony.  No one religious.  Sex/race don't matter.  Just someone pretty laid back who will do all of the basics without any religious aspects thrown in.  Maybe a notary or a judge that often performs ceremonies?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you Smile

Re: Seeking a Stroudsburg Area Officiant

• sparkleslovesparkleslove member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look into punniptials. They travel everywhere and do ceremonies that you are looking for. That is who I am using for my October 2011 wedding.
  • peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Lois Heckman.  She's a "Celebrant" local to the area.  She's a little pricey but she writes your whole ceremony from scratch and will do whatever you want with it.  She's very laid back and not religious at all (unless you want her to add any religious tones to it).  She also likes to incorporate some sort of "ritual" into the ceremony.  If you don't mind spending a little more, she will perform a very individualized ceremony for you.  If you want something a little more basic and simple than you might be better off with a judge or something like that.  But check out her site just in case!

• BeckyBevillBeckyBevill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes Lois Heckman was our first choice if a friend of the family couldnt perform it!you can also try (sorry it's so big, i just copied and pasted)
    A Beautiful Affair Of The Heart
    Pennsylvania Wedding Ceremonies
    Rev. Philip Passantino Rev. Louis Conselatore
    Rev. Jim St. George Rev. Larry Hall
    1-800-935-3565
    http://www.ABeautifulAffairOfTheHeart.com
    perfectweddings@optonline.net
  • julbgordojulbgordo member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I have heard of Lois Heckman so maybe I will look into her.

Thank you Smile
  • myfeverplaysmyfeverplays member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am also using Lois!! Her price is a bit high (atleast higher than what I was expecting to pay for an officiant) but after meeting with her we decided that she was absolutely worth it!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-northeastern_seeking-stroudsburg-area-officiant?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:624Discussion:388ce219-3719-4ecc-ab16-c28625ea7582Post:79475f3c-f8db-439a-80f3-af804a4d0b0c">Re: Seeking a Stroudsburg Area Officiant</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am also using Lois!! <strong>Her price is a bit high</strong> (atleast higher than what I was expecting to pay for an officiant) but after meeting with her we decided that she was absolutely worth it!
    Posted by myfeverplays[/QUOTE]

<div>I just contacted her ... I really don't know if her cost is worth it, especially since we're pretty low maintenance and our ceremony won't be longer than 20 minutes.  That's pretty steep.</div>
  • myfeverplaysmyfeverplays member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought it was high as well and didn't respond back to her right away after seeing it. I spent time looking for other oficiants and emailing some back and forth but I didn't really meet any that made me feel comfortable and that I felt I could reailly trust.

I emailed Lois and we decided to meet with her, no obligations. The whole way there I told FI that the price was at least double what I was expecting to pay. Like I said earlier though, after meeting with her my entire perpective changed. She took about an hour and 15 minutes asking us tons of questioins about how we met, our families, our ethnicities, our view on religion, on details of the ceremony that I never thought about and probably never would have. She explained a bit of her writing process and how she not only writes a personalized ceremony, but you actually help her write it so its done the way you want. I couild not find any other officiants with as many wonderful reviews as Lois'... we just felt very comfortable with her and appreciate how she gets to know you as a couple before playing such a huge part of your marriage!

I understand how you feel that it may not be worth it though. I thought the same thing before meeting her and walked out of her home not being able to picture anyone else for the job!

*Sorry about the typos, my Mom's laptop was doing some crazy things while I was typing and the curser kept jumping up in the middle of sentences I aleady wrote!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    edited December 2011
    I really appreciate your account of meeting with her.  I guess I'll just have to do some of my own research as to the other options.  Like I said on the June 2012 board, "who knows?  We might even end up booking her."  I still want to see who else is out there though.  I feel like as of now, she would be my fall back if I really couldn't find anyone else.  I know she would do a wonderful job, but for my own peace of mind I need to make sure there isn't anyone else who could also do a wonderful job for a fraction of the cost (which I have found with every other vendor I have booked).
  • edited December 2011
    I am also using Pun Nuptials!  They are a husband & wife officiants that I found at the Shawnee Inn Bridal Show!  Prices are good too!  http://www.punnuptials.com/ Super sweet & you can check everything out on their website. 

In my search I also talked with Lois Heckman & though I love her blogs & work I could not justify paying triple the amount I wanted to pay with travel for a 20 minute ceremony. 

Hope it works out!
  • edited December 2011
    Try Susanne Wilson with Journeys of the Heart. We're using her in November and her price is quite reasonable. She's very personable and we really liked her. Our 1 hour consultation ended up lasting 4 because we all couldn't just stop chatting!! 

• CoCoLibrarianCoCoLibrarian member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I contacted Journeys of the Heart and thought they were WAY too expensive. I'm using Reverend Connie but I'm not sure if she'll travel up to Stroudsburg. She definitely works in the Lehigh Valley. She has a website but you have to call her (beware that something is wrong w/ her phone and it always cuts out). http://www.revconnie.com/index.htm Her prices were really reasonable, around $150 plus another $50 if you wanted her to come to the rehearsal the night before the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards