Maryland
Options

cant get married in my parents catholic church - suggestions?

So i live in va (close to the NC  border) but grew up in Maryland.  I contacted the church i grew up in about getting married there, and was basically told I cant since a) i dont go there anymore and I have to for at least 6 months before a wedding can even be scheduled.  b) I am not a registered catholic at a church down here.

I understand it to an extent but not really.  How can my friend who hasnt been to church in years, lives with her boyfriend and is pregnant get married in her catholic church?  I'm sure I'm not the only girl who has ever wanted to get married at the church she grew up in, instead of one that I have no ties to in virginia. 

Any suggestions?  Does anyone know a catholic church in the anne arundel or Pg or even baltimore area that would marry me and my fiance?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: cant get married in my parents catholic church - suggestions?

• Options
    ElasaidElasaid member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is really interesting to me. Quite against my personal wishes my mother insisted that I should get married at the family church in MD, and my fiance and I live (together) in VA. When I contacted the parish priest I met with no resistance at all. It could be because my family has been and is still very active in the family church, but I have never signed the paperwork to register at my local church, so our situations would seem to be similar.

Have you sat down with the priest and explained things in person? If your family is still active there you might ask one of them to have a word with the church as well. Maybe if you do register with a local parish it would help. Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but every church has differernt rules.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    St. Pius in Bowie (PG county)
    St. Elizabeth Anne Seton in Crofton (Anne Arundel County)
    St. Mary's in downtown Annapolis (AA county)
    St. John Neumann Mission in Annapolis (AA county)

I've been to all them they're great !
  • Options
    soccerella7soccerella7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    St pius is actuall my church and the one that said we cant get married there :(

Ive talked to the priest again and hes explained things a little better, but still doesnt look like I could get marrie dhtere when i want to (sept) since I have to be registered in a church down here 6 months before they will schedule a date.  I am going to contact a) the church I attend now, even though I am not a member and b) The church I plan on attending after I am married (1.5 hours from where i live now) to see what they recommend
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    soccerella7soccerella7 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    elasaid - yea it seems our situtions are similar.  I had a friend get marrie dat one of the chruches mentioned about (seton) and she said that she was never asked if she was attending or registered at her church in SC at the time.   And another friend who is very catholic said even she doesnt know what they mean by registered since as far as she knows all that means is she is on their mailing list (though i think what they want is weekly donations)

its all a bit odd, but i'll update you guys if i find anything new!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards