California-San Diego

Locals' Opinions WANTED! :) San Diego "must sees"???

Hello everyone,

My fiance and I are planning to be married in January 2012 right in Fallbrook CA and will be staying in San Diego for a few days prior to our wedding on the 12th as well as on the weekend after before heading to LA and back home to MInnesota.

We both LOVE to travel, yet we are not all for the pure "touristy" things.  We love wine, amazing food, or those secret places that you only find via word of mouth. Thus, our plea; we want to make the very most of our expense in having a destination wedding in California away from the Minnesota tundra in January and want to know what you would say is a "Don't miss".

any and all ideas welcome! thank you!

Re: Locals' Opinions WANTED! :) San Diego "must sees"???

• edited December 2011
    If you're not from around the city... San Diego Zoo (world class zoo and botanical garden) as well as generally wander around Balboa Park- Spanish village in Balboa is very cool too, Cabrillo National Monument- the tidepools are impressive at low tide (check the internet or local paper) and between the lighthouse/monument/bayside trail/tidepools it's so san diego... um if he's into military history- the Midway.

Depends what you're into... The Old Globe Theatre is a wonderful night out.  If you're never been over there the Hotel Del Corando and generally checking out Corando can be nice. 

Oh and for pretty beaches and ritzy stores La Jolla.
  • edited December 2011

I agree with COSmitty about Balboa Park.  Although, it's definitely toursity, it ist still my favorite part in the city and not to be missed.

There are a ton of great restaurants in the Gaslamp.  My personal favorite is Oceanaire. They have the most amazing seafood! 

I would also say to rent a car and just drive up the coast.  Therea re so many beach towns that have great cafes, shops, and beaches. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • angeliz172angeliz172 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bismillah Indian/Pakistani restaurant's food is awesome and very local and cheap...This is like the opposite of a touristy place lol! Just in case you need a good restaurant ;-)

Check out Solana Beach or even Escondido if you have time, the beachy towns have cute little shops/breakfast places..

Walk down Garnet st in Pacific Beach, the Broken Yolk cafe is awesome for breakfast, you can sit on the roof and look at the view! Lots of thrift stores, tattoo shops, fun restaurants and then at the end of the street you are rewarded with...the ocean!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards