Ohio-Cincinnati

Pictures at Union Terminal (or another indoor location suggestion!)

Hey all!

We are meeting with our prospective photographer in February (Jay Murdock) and we are doing a 1-hr engagement session with him to get a feel for how he works and then we will book him if we like his work.

Since it is winter we can't do a lot of photos outside so he suggested meeting up at Union Terminal (Cincy Museum Center) to get a couple outdoor ones- then using the lobby inside.  He said they have some neat neon signs for the Amtrak area, and a photobooth to pose with, etc....

Has anyone been there recently? Or taken pictures there (highly unlikely haha) and think it would work out well? Do you think the museum people would have any problem with taking pictures inside? Any suggestions for another indoor place for pictures?

Re: Pictures at Union Terminal (or another indoor location suggestion!)

• itsriaitsria member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the museum center is a very popular place for pics. I have seen tons of them on other wedding vendors blogs, so I am just assuming the Museum Center allows it.
  • edited December 2011
    We are marrying there in June. The possibilities are fabulous in the rotunda, and maybe downstairs in front of the train murals. Inside the museum (you will need to buy tickets for the three of you) there is a trolley car and a riverboat in the old Cincinnati exhibit. If you ask really nicely at the ticket kiosk they may give you access to the president's office and board room where the public doesn't ususally go, but these areas are shown on the tour of the building. The Amtrak waiting room is the old men's smoking lounge and the murals on the walls are fabuous. The ice cream shop is entirely tiled in flower rookwood pottery tiles and would make a darling "ice cream themed" shoot.

Here is a recent spread from Style Me Pretty wedding blog that was shot at the Museum Center:

http://www.stylemepretty.com/gallery/gallery/1474/7

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JLDowd83JLDowd83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can also use the lobby of the Contemporary Arts Center for free!
  • SunBear22SunBear22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also getting married there in September of 2012, and I don't see why they wouldn't let you have pictures taken there. As mentioned above you will need to pay to get in to the museums- there are two of particular interest the science and the history, both have great perks!

The Khron Conservatory would be wonderful as well, plus it's warm!
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've taken a lot of pictures of just the architecture, no problems there.  I don't think they would mind at all if you took yours there, either.

I also suggest looking into the Cinci Art Museum.  The stairs there are dramatic and gorgeous.  There are also some hotels downtown that have beautiful drapery that you may want to take some shots of if you have time.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    THANKS for all the tips and suggestions. I'm glad to hear it has at least been done before- it seemed kind of strange to take pics in a random museum LOBBY haha, so I wasn't sure.

I actually have a reciprocal museum pass for a place in Chicago that works at the museum there- so I could get us in but I dunno how they would feel about pics inside. At least there is plenty of pretty stuff in the lobby and right outside!

Decobelle THANKS for that link- so fun! It will be different for us since there will be a lot of people in the museum, but hopefully it won't be too busy. I will DEFINITELY be hitting up that ice cream parlor- how stinkin cute is that?!

Can't wait now! I'll post pics when I get them back :)
  • edited December 2011
    When I got married in 2008 you had to ask for permission to take wedding photos inside Union Terminal.  Even then, you were only allowed to do so in the Rotunda area.
  • edited December 2011
    Christine- did you ask permission ahead of time, or just when you walked in? Did you have to pay a fee? Were they engagement photos or actual wedding day phoos? Thanks!
  • JLDowd83JLDowd83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married three months ago and wanted to use Union Terminal as our rainy day location for photos.  I spoke to the manager, and this is what I found out: 

You don't have to ask for permission to take photos -- wedding OR engagement -- you just have to be prepared to pay the entrance fee for you, your hubby, and your photographer(s) if you end up taking photos inside the museums themselves.  If you use the rotunda, you're good to go, free of charge.  The history museum has lots of cute storefronts, a recreation of the original Public Landing, a trolley car, etc...  In my opinion, it's worth paying the entrance fee!  The only other caveat the manager gave me was that there WILL be other patrons in the museum.  Still, I'd have to hope that people would be cooperative with a bride and groom taking photos.  :)
    Good luck!
  • mschneid02mschneid02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we got married there and ended up not doing any pix outside b/c of crowds.  I'm sure people would cooperate, but there are still museum patrons.
  • Jeff SchaeferJeff Schaefer member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Get permission at Union Terminal Museum Center. They allow portrait sessions, but will work with you and allow you more access if you have permission first.

www.jeffsphotograpahy.com" target="_blank" title="Jeff SCchaefer">Jeff Schaefer

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards