• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
March 2011 Weddings

Nails

Is anyone planning on getting acrylic nails for the wedding day?

I don't bite my nails or anything so they usually have a little bit of length to them but they also break so it's not uncommon for me to have 9 long nails and 1 short one, or for them all to be uneven.  I don't really know what they will be like come the wedding, so I guess I have to just wait and see.  I wonder though, can you do just like, acrilic overlay or something to help strengthen them so they are less likely to break, or...?
BFP Chart, EDD 4/21/13
It's a GIRL!

BabyFetus Ticker

Photobucket

3 babies in Heaven (1 miscarriage in 2006, 2 ectopics in 2012 - EDDs 9/29/12 & 1/29/13)
one on earth (DS born 10/29/08) and one in my belly. ?

WOOT!!! My TBBFF SweetC80 is KTFU!!!

my read shelf:
Kari Plautz's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Nails

• I am getting a regular manicure. I am not into the fake nails look. I think they are tacky looking.
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh.....you can just have them fix them at the nail salon to be all one length. My nails grow nice too and then one will break which means I cut them all. I hate having the different lengths cuz it feels funny.
    Part of That World Blog
    my read shelf:Jennifer (JSweetieXO) Cepero's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I totally plan on having acrylic nails, shorter nails, the "american tip because I think they're prettier and softer...i have fat fingers, and the nails make my fingrs look longer and photograph better....but If I had pretty nails I'd probably just go with a good manicure...maybe you could get some nail strengthener at a beauty supply store and that could help?
    image pregnancy
  • Yeah I am not a huge fan of them either, I just also don't want to have all long nails with one or two broken ones.  Lol.  right now they're all long except one of my middle fingers and it looks so ugly I think. 
    BFP Chart, EDD 4/21/13
    It's a GIRL!

BabyFetus Ticker

Photobucket

3 babies in Heaven (1 miscarriage in 2006, 2 ectopics in 2012 - EDDs 9/29/12 & 1/29/13)

my read shelf:
    Kari Plautz's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • You can do an acrylic overlay. I guess it depends on how my nails look. Right now they are even and usually pretty strong unless I catch them on something. I already decided the month before I am not doing housework so I wont break any lol I am hoping to just do a manicure but if they break I will get acrylic and keep them "short"
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also have a bad habit of, when Im anxious or nervous picking at my cuticles and chewing on my nails...so I will have to have them to keep them from looking like a 13 year olds! :)
    image pregnancy
  • kari....I just have them cut them down usually to be all pretty short where just a bit of white is showing. I think its much classier looking than having really long nails.
    Part of That World Blog
  • JSweetie - do they paint a french manicure on them then?  Do you have manicures regularly or just for special occasions?
    BFP Chart, EDD 4/21/13
    It's a GIRL!

BabyFetus Ticker

Photobucket

my read shelf:
  • I will probably be using my own nails just getting a manicure. However, I have seen  false nails done very well and looked natural. I think it was UV gels that were used instead of acrylic. You can also do an overlay as well which protects your nails from getting broken or from the polish tips chipping off.
  • I am going to keep my real nails. I can usually grow my nails out for a few weeks and then I cut them when they get too long. I am hoping that I can time it around the wedding where they will be not too long, but not too short. I am hoping they will last through the honeymoon too. I may look into overlays though. I just don't want them to ruin my real nails. I have never had fake nails and I don't like the fake look. Has anyone ever had the overlays??
    Photobucket Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • I agree with bride to be. Sally hansen works wonders on your nails!
  • I have a really bad habit of picking at my nails and sometimes biting them :( I've gotten better but they still look awful. Hopefully I can grow them out some before the wedding and just get a mani but if they look bad I'll probably get the shorter fake ones.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm waiting to see how mine look a week before the wedding.  There is this amazing woman here in town who does really natural looking gel/acrylic nails.  She's expensive, but they look amazing.  I'm planning to splurge on her if my nails aren't looking good by then.  When I get stressed out, I bite my cuticles (gross, I know), so the nails usually suffer.  
    Learning to live and work from home: My blog
  • I'm not getting acrylics either, they ruin my nails. They're too brittle for that stuff. I'm getting regular french manicure on mine. It's what I always get done with for my nails, and they always look so pretty! The manicurist can still do french even if your nails are short. Oh, and I also hate uneven nails! It irritates me! LOL 
  • Hey sorry...went to the mall....I don't get regular mani's I just got them done once in a while. I have a REALLY BAD HABIT of biting my cuticles. Not the nails...the cuticle lol. But when I get them manicured it makes them so nice and soft I have no urge to. Here is my nails now....I got em done yesterday for today =)

I seriously am in shock that the red has stayed perfectly so long...if I did my nails it either would have peeled off halfway by now or I would have bit it off. I have no urge to though when I go to the salon. Excuse Aaron he is playing Call of Duty lol
    Part of That World Blog
  • They also have a manicure at a lot of places now that includes a shellac coating that helps it stay on a lot longer, and helps keep your nails stronger/harder.

I've been going back and forth on this.... I think I might be doing the gel nails.  I really want my nails to look good through the wedding and honeymoon so I don't have to mess with it at all that whole time.  If I do get them, I'll be doing them a bit shorter though.

I can grow my nails pretty long easily, but they're pretty thin, and my nail beds aren't even, so a few of my nails actually grow in curved, so even if they are even, they don't always look like it.  I think that's mostly why I want to do something other than just my nails, and the gels look really natural if they're done well. 
    Photobucket
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

TTC since 2-09 Diagnosed with PCOS 12-11

• Jsweetie: Love the nails!! Very pretty! I love the feeling of just having them done and they're all smooth! lol And like you, I bite my cuticles too! hahahaha.. it's weird, but heck I've always done it, they get so irritating! 
  • Oh and I have gotten french manicures which I did for my friends wedding in Oct at her request and it stayed very well for quite a few days.

For the wedding day....I am going the day before to get my mani and pedi.
    Part of That World Blog
  • In Response to Re: Nails:
    Oh and I have gotten french manicures which I did for my friends wedding in Oct at her request and it stayed very well for quite a few days. For the wedding day....I am going the day before to get my mani and pedi.
    Posted by JSweetieXO

Same here! I'm going with my girls and the moms! Party of my WP gifts to them. I still have to make our appointment though! 
  • I am going to use my own nails. They have been growing good lately, so I hope they continue to do so.
    I am also taking a pill for hair and nails (my mom who is a pharmacist picked it out for me).

• I know how you feel. I broke one this morning and I just had this conversation with my mom.

I did this as a trial for my e-pics, and it turned out great. The salon where I get pedi's has a color-gel that can be painted on like a french manicure. Because it is gel, it hardens and looks really nice, strengthens and it lasted about a week and a half. Then peel it off and no damage to the nail. You'll have to look around because I know not all places do it but it's worth the looking around.

Hope that helps! :-)
  • I'm going to do my nails myself because I have all of the stuff to do it.  Tips, acrylic powder, tools, and everything else I would need to do them.

But since I'm starting school on the 10th of January, I just found out that I can have my nails done in the Cosmetology class for only $10 and they'll do my nails the way I want them done.

So depending on my time frame, depends on whether or not I do them myself.
  • You should start doing the new gel treatments, I think a few other brides references it above. It does not damage your nails like acrylics do, and it actually has a lot of vitamins in the treatment that helps your nails grow and be stronger. It's a little more expensive then a regular manicure, but also last longer than a regular manicure.

I did the gel treatment once and my nails were sooooo much stronger after a weeks and half, and they grew a lot.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards