Ohio-Cincinnati

Grooms family matching bridal party

Hey guys,

I need your opinion. So my wedding is coming up and all along my fiance's mom and stepmom have been asking what our colors are so they could coordinate their dresses. I guess I assumed they would pick a color that would compliment the color of my bridesmaids but apparently they each bought a dress the  exact same shade as the ones my bridesmaids are wearing. My fiance's sister also bought a dress that matches the color of my bridesmaids.

I am pretty easy going and like to avoid conflict, and I honestly don't care what color they wear, but I really don't want them to wear the same color as my bridesmaids. I just feel like it takes away from my bridesmaid's part in the ceremony. I don't feel like I am overreacting but my fiance has said somethign to each of them and they each got very upset about him asking them not to wear that color dress. They said its customary for them to match the bridal party.

I am just at the point where I want to not care, but I do and its really bothering me. What do you guys think? Am I overreacting??

Re: Grooms family matching bridal party

• edited December 2011
    Im not sure who told them it is customary because I have been in 8 weddings, been as a guest to 15 and NEVER have I EVER seen the family MATCH the bridesmaids...ohhhh Im upset for you...lol

I see complementing colors, and tones...but never matching! I think it is OK for you to be upset about it, but I think there is very little that can be done now. One thing to consider is that generally they are in no group pictures together. (You dont usually have your whole bridal party in shots with family).

They should have asked first, but what is done is done and just try and not worry about it. I feel your pain though and I can tell you that I would be upset too.
  • HSchallHSchall member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry but I would have to agree with them.  I think you are overracting.  You say that honestly you don't care what color they wear but clearly you do.  Would you really be happier if they wore a color that was bright and flashy and clearly stuck out or clashed with your wedding colors.  I think it is customary for the families to coordinate with the wedding colors and I am guessing that they probably thought they were being thoughtful by working hard to get colors that matched your wedding colors.  I think I would take this as a compliment that they really want to be a big part of your and your fiance's day.  I don't think they are taking away from your bridesmaids--moreover, these are your fiance's family members aren't they just as important or more important than your bidesmaids?
  • mschneid02mschneid02 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree. If you had in mind specific colors or families of colors, you probably should have made that clear.  They aren't even going to be in pictures with your bridesmaids.  Who cares? 

My opinion: everyone will be looking at you and your fiance.  Everything else is window dressing.
  • edited December 2011
    aren't they different styles?  would you have this same reaction if your bridesmaids were wearing black and so were your groom's family and a ton of guests?

I don't think anyone is going to confuse you fi's mom for your bridesmaids.
  • kelklumpkelklump member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I loved that my mom wore a coordinating color and style of my bridesmaids, and I wouldnt have cared if anyone else did either. People will know who your bridesmaids are even if you think they are wearing the same colors.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree w/ the pp - they will not be in pictures with you and your bridesmaids, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. At least they didn't buy the SAME dress as them...just a similar color and like pp said, at least it's complimentary, not something flashy that will take the attention away from you. 

I was in a wedding over the weekend and we all had on black dresses and both mothers were asked to wear black so that it flows better. I think you will be fine.

If this is the biggest problem you have during your planning process....say a prayer now! ;)
    Anniversary
  • aloulou86aloulou86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Everyone!
    Its helpful to hear everyone's insight. I was worried about everyone being all matchy matchy  but I think you guys are right about me thinking too much into this.
    I also didn't want my mom to feel left out since she now is the only one not  matching the bridesmaids. But I dont think she will mind.
    I appreciate everyones responses!
    :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards