• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
April 2011 Weddings

Unpopular Opinions

I saw this idea on another board and thought it was a fun conversation starter. So, I'm kind of stealing the idea :) They do this weekly, but we'll just play it by ear.

Type below an opinion you have that is against the mainstream. This is a good way to start discussion. Of course, we'll disagree with one another but we're all adults here so no hard feelings.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• I don't get why people "check in" to work on facebook. Do ya want a frickin cookie for being a grown up?

Really, I don't get the check in thing at all. To me, it's like you're asking to get robbed or stalked.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • i also hate the check in thing. it does seem like an invitation to get your home burglarized.
    i possibly have the most unpopular opinions here. i hate twilight. seriously. my friends made me go see one of the movies with them, and yikes. it was the worst. i don't get why two guys are fighting for some melodramatic girl who has no discernable personality.
    also, i don't get the harry potter craze. seriously. it's for kids, people. 
    i hope you all are still speaking to me later. :)
    Anniversary image<br
  • My UO: that everything surrounding the Treyvon Martin case is being blown way out of proportion. That a tragedy is being turned into a political agenda. Yes, it's horrible that the kid died. But we don't know all the facts and Zimmerman is being presumed guilty (and apparently a racist?) automatically. That drives me nuts. As far as we know, he was attacked and was acting in self-defense.

The media is obviously influencing and fueling this insanity. Hence the using old photos rather than current ones to cast Martin in a good light and Zimmerman in a negative one. For example:

Innocent until proven guilty. There's a reason that we have a court system and people aren't tried by the raging masses. 

Again, the truth may come out and it shows that Zimmerman did not act in self-defense. But until then calm the freakin' heck down. 
    The Happiest 5K on the Planet! Color Run 2012
    "I think the threat of 'You've ticked off The Brides!' might do it." Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Lisa, I'm not a fan of Twilight or Harry Potter. Plus, I'll go ahead and throw in Lord of the Rings. The female lead in Twilight (Kristen something) is enough to keep me away from the movies.

Mel- I wish I could openly comment on things like this lol. Unfortunately, that is all I am able to say.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions:
    [QUOTE]i also hate the check in thing. it does seem like an invitation to get your home burglarized. i possibly have the most unpopular opinions here. i hate twilight. seriously. my friends made me go see one of the movies with them, and yikes. it was the worst. i don't get why two guys are fighting for some melodramatic girl who has no discernable personality. also, i don't get the harry potter craze. seriously. it's for kids, people.  i hope you all are still speaking to me later. :)
    Posted by lisab613[/QUOTE]
    That's it! We're no longer friends! If you don't like every single book and movie that I like, then this friendship cannot continue. 
    "I think the threat of 'You've ticked off The Brides!' might do it." Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    [QUOTE]Lisa, I'm not a fan of Twilight or Harry Potter. Plus, I'll go ahead and throw in Lord of the Rings. The female lead in Twilight (Kristen something) is enough to keep me away from the movies. Mel- I wish I could openly comment on things like this lol. Unfortunately, that is all I am able to say.
    Posted by corkietn[/QUOTE]
    We aren't friends either. 
    And see - this is why I could never work for the government. Cause I love to openly comment!! :D
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : That's it! We're no longer friends! If you don't like every single book and movie that I like, then this friendship cannot continue. 
    Posted by MelissaAnne88[/QUOTE]

lol mel, don't ban me!
    Anniversary image<br
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : We aren't friends either.  And see - this is why I could never work for the government. Cause I love to openly comment!! :D

I have come to terms with it.  Most other gov employees can state their opinions publicly, just not the judiciary. Womp womp.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : I have come to terms with it.  Most other gov employees can state their opinions publicly, just not the judiciary. Womp womp.
    "Hi. My name is Courtney and I have zero opinions. Well, at least zero opinions that I'm allowed to share."
    Wow...threadjack...sorry :(
  • I also hate the check in thing!
    Lisa- I also do not see what is so big about Twilight but I do love Harry Potter.

I'm glad Mel brought up the Treyvon Martin thing. I don't know what happened but I'm glad this is getting attention because the law that is keeping Zimmerman from being arrested "Stand Your Ground" law, has been nothing but a right to kill law ever since it was enacted. FL's homicides have tripled since the law was put into place in 2006.
    Zimmerman was not standing his ground he pursued the kid and confronted him and I'm sure the kid was scared and pushed Zimmerman away. Zimmerman was on the phone with 911 he could have called them back and reported Martin to the cops instead of shooting a scared kid who had a bag of skittles in his hand.
    That kid would still be alive today if that guy hadden't followed him and thought that he was the law and could pull a gun on anyone he thought was suspicious.
    Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • haha, total threadjack ;) They haven't stripped me of my opinions, just the ability to share them on a public forum. I have enough opinions, that's for sure! Kind of ironic that I would be the person to start a thread on unpopular opinions when I can't share my opinions on politics or controversial topics in the media. hmph

Let me think what else, I don't like Barbara Streisand. I'm not sure, but I think most people like her. Ohhh, and I strongly dislike every-single-song by Katy Perry. All of them.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Court- that is kind of funny that you started this but can't comment on some of it!

I like Lady Gaga...
    Anniversary LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • I think Justin Beiber is a nice kid. And while his music style is definitely not something I enjoy, I still think he's a nice kid and it's a shame that he gets picked on so much. We need more nice kids out there. 
  • I agree with the "check in" thing.

I do not understand the fascination with Kim Kardashian and/or her family!
    TTC since January 2011

February 2012: 1st RE Appt.

HSG, B/W, & SA: All normal

September 2012: Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked left tube, Damaged right tube.

Next step: IVF #1. Started BCP 1/16/13!

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/rigcd3.jpg[/IMG]
  • ah! kim kardashian, that's another one! i am with you, i don't see why anyone cares about her!
    Anniversary image<br
  • I'll play.  I see no value in the following:
    Harry Potter
    Twilight
    Hunger Games
    LOTR
    Any Star Wars
    Any Star Trek

I think the legal drinking age should be lowered.  I don't think we'd have such a problem with binge drinking if it was never a big deal to begin with. 
  • I think marijuana should be legal. And then taxed. We might pay off some debt with a little pot tax money!

[QUOTE]I think marijuana should be legal. And then taxed. We might pay off some debt with a little pot tax money!

Color me surprised on this opinion!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions : Color me surprised on this opinion!
    I know I know...radical libertarian here! While I personally have no desire to smoke pot, I don't see why consenting adults can't if they choose to. If cigarettes and alcohol are legal, why not pot?
    And think of all the money we'd save because we aren't locking up loads of college students that got caught with a 1/2 oz of marijuana!? :D
  • I'm home and Gus is in time out before we got to the park, so I have time to share my opinions...

I hate LOTR.  I suffered through the movies, and appreciate there cinematic qualities, but good lord the story was horrid.  

I also will never see twighlight or Hunger Games.  I tried to read Twighlight and thought it was worthless drivel.  

I think the media attention of the Martin case is ridiculous.  How may people were killed in NYC or LA or Chicago since then?  And how much media have they gotten?  I'm sick of hearing about it.

I don't like Lady Gaga.  And don't get why so many people think she is so amazing. 

I think we should have more vacation time and focus more on life than work.  
  • Twilight - don't get me started.

And I love kids, but not every event needs to be kid friendly.  Case in point.  A few years agao, they started a free outdoor ADULT movies series down on the lakefront - wonderful, sponsored by a regional brewery, showing movies like The Hangover, The Big Lebowski, The Wall, and other cult faves.  It was billed as being for adults and to leave the kiddos at home.There was a lot of complaining that thisw HAD to be family friendly.  Guess what, there are several other outdoor, free movies series in town that ARE family friendly, this is the only one that isn't.  Get over it, kids can't be everywhere - are they at bars - no....are they supposed to be at R-rated movies - no.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
    [QUOTE]Twilight - don't get me started. And I love kids, but not every event needs to be kid friendly.  Case in point.  A few years agao, they started a free outdoor ADULT movies series down on the lakefront - wonderful, sponsored by a regional brewery, showing movies like The Hangover, The Big Lebowski, The Wall, and other cult faves.  It was billed as being for adults and to leave the kiddos at home.There was a lot of complaining that thisw HAD to be family friendly.  Guess what, there are several other outdoor, free movies series in town that ARE family friendly, this is the only one that isn't.  Get over it, kids can't be everywhere - are they at bars - no....are they supposed to be at R-rated movies - no.
    Posted by gundy21[/QUOTE]
    Yes. Exactly. Same with weddings. A wedding is an adult event. If the two adults getting married want to have kids there, so be it. But if not, don't complain and whine and moan because you have to be separated from your kids for one freakin' evening!!!
  • edited March 2012
    I wonder if it's the law itself, or the police/DA's intrepretation of that law that is the problem. I have heard of people being prosecuted for shooting a burgular in their home, and maybe that was the whole goal of this law in the first place- to prevent that scenario. However, I agree, that maybe Florida's intepretation of the law is in question here. I agree with Mel though, I think there is a lot of emotion surrounding this fueled by the media somewhat. I think a lot of people forgot that you are innocent until proven guilty. My UO about it - I don't think that the President of the US should've commented on this particular case because it has nothing to do with him and only hinders the fact that this guy could get a fair trial.

My UO's:
    -Kids are raised "too soft" these days and are coddled too much.
    -I don't think healthcare is a right.
    -I don't think a child should have a cell phone unless they are driving. Especially an iphone with interent access and facebook.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    [QUOTE]I wonder if it's the law itself, or the police/DA's intrepretation of that law that is the problem. I have heard of people being prosecuted for shooting a burgular in their home, and maybe that was the whole goal of this law in the first place. However, I agree, that maybe Florida's intepretation of the law is in question here. I agree with Mel though, I think there is a lot of emotion surrounding this fueled by the media somewhat. I think a lot of people forgot that you are innocent until proven guilty. My UO about it - I don't think that the President of the US should've commented on this particular case because it has nothing to do with him and only hinders the fact that this guy could get a fair trial. My UO's: -Kids are raised "too soft" these days and are coddled too much. -I don't think healthcare is a right. -I don't think a child should have a cell phone unless they are driving. Especially an iphone with interent access and facebook.
    Posted by elizp267[/QUOTE]
    These aren't very unpopular in my opinion...Liz, you're so popular! (at least to me)
  • I agree with most of these- except you Hunger Games haters. ;)

I read Twilight and saw the first two movies, and IMO, it isn't even on the same level as HG.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MagheetaMagheeta member
    500 Comments Third Anniversary
    edited March 2012
    I've gotta say, I think the majority of my opinions are unpopular.  

funny_zpsd60c785f

SAVE TIME AND MONEY WITH E-MEALZ MEAL PLANS

"...And he just came out of my imaginary birthday cake." -its apelila

[QUOTE]I've gotta say, I think the majority of my opinions are unpopular.  
    Posted by LDMainsy[/QUOTE]
    Thank goodness you're pretty. 
  • LOL, I love you, Mel. 

funny_zpsd60c785f

SAVE TIME AND MONEY WITH E-MEALZ MEAL PLANS

"...And he just came out of my imaginary birthday cake." -its apelila

• I love you too :)

And the potentially controversial UO thread is now officially a mushfest!
  • I think the world needs more mush.  As long as it is lovey dovey mush and not mushy food!  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards