• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
May 2011 Weddings

NWR- How much would you pay...

So I've been thinking about what I'm going to do this summer... let me explain... I work at a college and I will probably have 1 summer class to teach, which is all of like 1.5 hours a day.  So for the other 14.5 hours in my day I'll have nothing to do... maybe some cleaning, working out, and thats about it... Although that may sound great, I'm not the type of person to sit around and do nothing!  So I came up with the idea tonight to do some tutoring this summer... I used to work for a tutoring center and we did summer programs and it went pretty well... I honestly didn't think it would considering who wants to do school work during the summer, but lots of kids/college students who were taking summer classes or just wanting to get prepared for the upcoming year attended. 

So anyways, my question to you is, what do you think a reasonable price for tutoring is?  I've had experience tutoring (about 3 years), I've student taught, and I've taught my own class at the college level for 2 years, plus I hold a masters degree in Applied Mathematics... We originally thought $25, but I've been researching and some people ask as much as $50 or so... what do you think?

Re: NWR- How much would you pay...

• I don't know about prices for tutoring college students, but the going rate for tutoring elementary students is $25 an hour.

I would low-ball it. You can always increase later when you have a larger client base.
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • Is that per hour? Per session?  For private tutoring, or a group?  I think that depending on your area and your student base, it could really vary.

I'm working at a college also, but it's a community college and a lot of our students just don't have a lot of money to shell out even if they want the service.  If it were me, I'd try to work out a way to tutor small groups for $10-15 per person...and with 4 or 5 people, I'd still be doing pretty well.  BUT...say if I worked for certain Universities down the street where the students tend to have a lot more $$ at their disposal (ahem, Tulane, Loyola...) then I'd probably do one-on-one sessions and up the price quite a bit, hehe...
  • I've been out of college for almost 10 years now (wow I feel old) so I have no idea!
    Photobucket
  • I think $25/session seems really reasonable, but If you were to come in at $20 that might set you apart from the others.
    ~ Missie

Welcome Baby Grace to the world! (via emergency c-section @ 38w2d)
    2/24/12 12:03pm 5lbs, 9oz Birth Story
    image image image
    image image image
    Linky--> EP FB Group - March '12 FB Group <---Linky </b>
  • If others are asking $50 and you are doing this to not be idle with the benefit of making money I think $25- $30 is reasonable. 

I think you are very well qualified and could ask $50 but I don't know if you would draw the clientel this summer with that and being an "unknown"

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • I agree with aggie, I don't think you want to undervalue yourself by chargin $15 an hour, but you also don't want to price yourself out of the market.  I would imagine $25 or $30 would be a good place to start, and if you get a few clients and get going (or if you're at the point where you have enough people to keep busy) you could always up your rate and if anyone else signs on, then bonus!
    imageimage
  • I had a tutor for math in high school and I think we paid 60/session. He was a teacher at a local private high school and was awesome (I really really struggle(d) with numbers). I think you can start off by charging less to build up business, but I would not go too far below the going rate. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Well it's going to vary based on your area but if you're tutoring in mathmatics, you can go to the higher end of the range, to be honest. If you told me English or social studies, i would say the lower end.

But if you're really doing it to fill the time and not so much because you need the money, it might be nice to do it on the less expesive side  - that way someone who maybe can't afford as much as other kids could get the same great help. But I just read something about how disadvantaged kids have a harder time becoming top of the class because they can't afford the same quality tutotrs and experieces the other kids came so I'm feeling all altruistic right now about that.
    DD Lea, born 04/21/10
    BFP #4 It's a BOY!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    CP: July 2011
    BFP #3: 11/3/2011 M/C 12/12/11
    We miss you and love you always, little firecrackers!
  • In Response to Re: NWR- How much would you pay...:
    [QUOTE]Well it's going to vary based on your area but if you're tutoring in mathmatics, you can go to the higher end of the range, to be honest. If you told me English or social studies, i would say the lower end. But if you're really doing it to fill the time and not so much because you need the money, it might be nice to do it on the less expesive side  - that way someone who maybe can't afford as much as other kids could get the same great help. But I just read something about how disadvantaged kids have a harder time becoming top of the class because they can't afford the same quality tutotrs and experieces the other kids came so I'm feeling all altruistic right now about that.
    Posted by 8daysaweek[/QUOTE]
    Why would tutoring math and science be a higher price than english or social studies?
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • In Response to Re: NWR- How much would you pay...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR- How much would you pay... : Why would tutoring math and science be a higher price than english or social studies?
    Posted by uneek1323[/QUOTE]

Because tutors for math and science are rarer than tutors for English and Social Studies and therefore can charge more.
    DD Lea, born 04/21/10
    BFP #4 It's a BOY!
  • Uneek -  I know as a teacher you're going to say they should all be worth the same. This isn't my opinion - hell as a journalist I'm personally appalled by what is deemed to be acceptable in grammar, spelling and general comprehension and writing, especially considering that success in any other field is based on one's literacy.

However, OP is looking at high school and college tutoring and I know from experience that at that level, private tutors in math and science charged more and were considered of higher value than those in English. I have always tutored and edited for others and I could never get away with charging what my friend who is a physics tutor can charge.  There are more people who can edit and teach English well, therefore it is easier to find someone cheaper than I am who can also do a good job if I charge a higher amount.

DD Lea, born 04/21/10
    BFP #4 It's a BOY!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards