Ohio-Cincinnati

Veil question

Wierd question but I'm planning on doing a low looser updo for my wedding and am wanting a chapel length one layer veil to go with my dress.  My hairdresser asked me whether I wanted the veil to be underneath my hair or right over it where you could see the updo through the veil... Needless to say I had NO idea.  She said she most commonly does over the hair because it's easier to hide the comb but she will do whatever I want.  I'm only wearing the veil for the ceremony.  What are your thoughts and what do you commonly see?  Thanks!

Re: Veil question

• edited December 2011
    Honestly, I think it's just personal preference.  If I were you, I would pull my hair into a loose ponytail and then try a veil on over and under and see which you like. 

I have also seen girls wear the veil with the comb at the top of their head, so that the veil falls on either side of their face, but if you do that (depending on your hair's texture), you might mess up your hairdo when you take the veil out for the reception.  I, too, am wearing a low loose bun at the back of my head, but I think I am going to put the veil in at the top of my head.  But I have naturally curly hair, so I don't have to worry about messing it up when I take the comb out.
  • edited December 2011

Since you are only wearing it for the ceremony, I would say wear it over the top of the hairstyle. Are you having a trial with your hairdresser?? If so that would be the best time to play with either idea.

FWIW: I had my hair half up/down with loose curls. My veil was on top for the reception/photos. But took it totally out for the reception to show off the combs that were my something borrowed. Smile

• edited December 2011
    Definitely a personal decision, but in general, most people prefer the veil on top for lower hair styles, and below for higher updos. You can do whatever you want though - it's YOUR day   :)
  • cassondrecassondre member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    http://weddings.theknot.com/theknottv/knot_tv_ondemand.aspx?id=howfmtrp

I hope this link works, if not go to the knot homepage, videos, bridal beauty, and choose the 3rd or so video titles "veils- dos and dont's"

This video helped me a bunch....i had no idea about most of it.
  • dschuck23dschuck23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ahhh Thanks!!  Yes I''m having a trial but she told me I need to know for when I order the veil so they can be sure to order the veil long enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards