• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
May 2011 Weddings

Come in here...

And celebrate!  Jay and I put in an offer in on a house this weekend and it was accepted!!

We move quickly over here...

Aggie - when do you close on yours??

Re: Come in here...

• Congrats Joy! That's great news! It happened fast for us too. Seems kinda surreal, right? I'm so happy for you!
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • Thank you!! 

It's very surreal.  I couldn't sleep last night while thinking and stressing over different things. 

How are you doing?
  • Congrats!!!!  How exciting Joy. :-)

We close on the 18th so 2 weeks from today and I *think* we are mostly coasting until then.  

when do you close? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • oooh!!  So exciting, Aggie!

We need to do an inspection very soon and, assuming all goes well, we'll close at the end of April.

I have to find movers.  Jay and I decided we're too old to move stuff ourselves anymore.
  • Movers are a good idea. It took them 3 hours to get all of our stuff from the apartment to the house. Well worth the money for it not to be an all day event.
  • Sounds about right, all in all ours purchase will take about a month.  And I am envious of your movers.  H is determined we don't need them, and I guess we don't need them, but moving furniture from the third floor to the third floor does not sound appealing.  

Tell us some details about your place! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • YAYY!!!!! Congrats, Joy!!
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2011-weddings_come-in-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:645Discussion:67686994-d568-4aa0-9120-0e1848f96c53Post:3ee13771-f342-43aa-b806-f813216c1fe2">Re: Come in here...</a>:
    [QUOTE]  Tell us some details about your place! 
    Posted by aggiebug[/QUOTE]

You, too!!!  I haven't heard anything about yours!

We live in the city, so things are small here.  We ultimately decided house over condo.  They would be essentially the same monthly rates, the condo would be broken into mortgage + condo fees while a house would be simply mortgage.  We decided it was better to put all the money towards a mortgage.

It's two floors.  First floor is kitchen and living room/dining room with a small patio out back.  Second floor has two bedrooms and a bathroom.  Lots of natural light due to the large windows and skylights.  We also have a basement that Jay is super excited to finish.  We're going to add a half bath down there.

It's a stone's throw from the Art Museum in Philly.  It was important to me to still be super close to a part of the city.  We could have easily moved into a dense neighborhood of the city, but then I wondered what was the point.  If we're going to buy in the city, I want to still be able to walk everywhere.  This is a great balance.
  • Very neat! Is is a single family home or a townhome?

We avoided Condos like the plague because of their fees.  As it is we have 2 HOAs blech.

Ours is a 3 story end unit townhome.  The bottom story is the "basement" but its walk in level with a single car garage.  The middle level has the kitchen and living area with a half bath.  The upper floor has 3 bedrooms.

I am so looking forward to the majorly upgraded kitchen and the much larger masterbedroom.

Fred Rogers
  • oooh!!  It sounds so nice!!

Yes, I believe it would be classified as a townhouse, but we have no HOA fees or anything.
  • All this house buying going on makes me want to buy one, too. 

my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Congrats, Joy! Movers are definitely a good idea. We needs pictures now. :)
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's horrifyingly expensive, Jess.  Does that help you want to buy one less??  Once we pay down payment and closing costs, I might throw up.  I saved for years for this and now the thought of closing my savings account is killing me.

Jay says "It's not gone, Joy.  It's now in the bricks of the house!"  Sigh.  :-)
  • The dollar amounts can make your eyes bulge out. On the plus side though - we've been in our house for a year and we just got a letter from the bank that the value of our house went up by $40,000 in the past year. That was fun to find out!
  • Oh I know that we're not ready to buy a house. We're saving, but it will be a while. Plus, we're not even sure if we'll be here in this exact area long, so buying a house now would just be silly. 
    DH's mom and her husband are moving, so I just look at houses for her instead. haha! 

I agree with Kris! We're going to need pictures of all these houses! 
    my read shelf:
  • omg so expensive!  And we do need to add a fence, buy some furniture and ideally build a deck pretty quick out of the gate and that is a lot that is not in our mortgage.  

I still go through swings of panic about money and excitement about all we can do with our own home.    It does appear this house will delay our Austrailia trip (and thus a baby) for a bit longer.  Le Sigh.
    Fred Rogers
  • How exciting Joy!!! YEAH!!! And I will second the movers idea. I have never had movers but the idea of movers seems wonderful. If we ever had to move now movers would be involved. We own way to much sh!t now.

Aggie your place sounds lovely. I hope the fence and deck work go fast. Are you guys doing the work yourself or hiring it out?

JLQ: Owning a house isn't all its cracked up to be. I miss the days where we rented and the driveway magically shoveled itself, the lawn mowed itself, and when there was a problem you called someone and a note was left on your counter saying all fixed.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • YAY JOY!  How exciting :)  I'm sending you good home inspection vibes!!  We are all growing up, it's so exciting!

Nothing exciting here.  I stayed up until 1:30 last night finishing a book and I'm exhausted.  Oops!

Aggie - I didn't know you guys wanted to do an Austailia trip!  How exciting (even if it is now delayed...)
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
    Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Degrea we are hoping to build the fence but contract out the deck. 

Evita Australia has always been a dream trip of mine. And my wonderful H doesnt want to it go by the wayside when we have kids. So it's kind of turning into a babymoon. Its also a joke among my family, they keep asking when we arw going since the know it's no babies before. 
    Fred Rogers
  • HI! Anyone around?  just testing the waters.

We are supposed to get hit with a major snow storm Tues night/Wed with upwards of 10 inches.   The local weather blog has named is SnowQuestration which I find HIGHLY amusing.  

Fred Rogers
  • Hi.
    I talked to my in-laws last night. They're in Richmond and said they might get a foot of snow. That's crazy in general but moreso in March!
  • I'm ready for winter to be over.  That is all.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
    Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2011-weddings_come-in-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:645Discussion:67686994-d568-4aa0-9120-0e1848f96c53Post:417f92f1-0d80-4c51-b91e-21a95a816f94">Re: Come in here...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm ready for winter to be over.  That is all.
    Posted by LaBellaVita23[/QUOTE]
    The first day of spring is 16 days away!
  • Has it been snowy for you e?  We have had a pitiful snowfall this year (saud the Texan ha!) This storm is the best chance for snow in the last 2 years. Our winter hasn't been terrible so I am not anxiously waiting spring, but I love all seasons so maybe that is why.

Fred Rogers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2011-weddings_come-in-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:645Discussion:67686994-d568-4aa0-9120-0e1848f96c53Post:00d7c039-3431-463b-ade1-e35b8b96d91b">Re: Come in here...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Come in here... : The first day of spring is 16 days away!
    Posted by uneek1323[/QUOTE]
    If only Michigan weather would listen!

It actually hasn't been too bad but I just hate the cold and I'm sick of wearing all my winter work clothes.  I can only rotate my sweaters so many times.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
  • I didn't we were suppose to get a snow storm. So I checked and we aren't. Must be a down south thing. It is suppose to be nice this week. In the 40's or high 30's. Bye Bye snow.

I am not ready for winter to disappear quite yet. H has only got to ride his snowmobile once and I feel bad. One good more snow storm would be nice for him.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2011-weddings_come-in-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:645Discussion:67686994-d568-4aa0-9120-0e1848f96c53Post:00d7c039-3431-463b-ade1-e35b8b96d91b">Re: Come in here...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Come in here... : The first day of spring is 16 days away!
    Posted by uneek1323[/QUOTE]
    So is my birthday! 
    my read shelf:
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2011-weddings_come-in-here?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:645Discussion:67686994-d568-4aa0-9120-0e1848f96c53Post:22cb842c-7270-4d4e-ad92-737dea250b1f">Re: Come in here...</a>:
    [QUOTE]JLQ: Owning a house isn't all its cracked up to be. I miss the days where we rented and the driveway magically shoveled itself, the lawn mowed itself, and when there was a problem you called someone and a note was left on your counter saying all fixed.
    Posted by degrea[/QUOTE]<div>We are responsible for yard maintenance and shoveling, so we're used to that anyhow. We also tend to fix most little things ourselves around here because our landlord has to call his fixer guy and sometimes it takes too long so we just do it ourselves and send them receipts for anything we had to buy and take it off our rent money.  

</div>
    my read shelf:
  • We haven't gotten crap for snow! I actually miss it.  My hometown gets way more snow than we do here. Booo! 
    my read shelf:
  • Congrats ladies!!  

Pre English Reception Pictures at H's High School
    Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards