May 2011 Weddings

So I Read Divergent and Insurgent Today...

I loved them.

But I wanted to address something mentioned in this thread.

Edith isn't Tris's mom.  Tris's mom's name was Natalie.  Edith was probably her grandmother (or any number of great-grandmother).  I think the whole '2nd generation' thing was probably a reference to her being 2nd generation Divergent (since her mother was Divergent as well).

Also, I hate cliffhangers.  It needs to be Fall 2013 NOW. That way I can read the last book and watch Catching Fire.
Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket

Re: So I Read Divergent and Insurgent Today...

• Thank you for clearing that up, I was confused because I didn't think Tris' mom was 'first generation' but couldn't remember why I thought that without re-reading.  Now I know!

Glad you enjoyed them, I am anxious to read the ending as well :)
    imageimage
  • Did you read them both in one day Alex?? :) Impressive! I think I'm going to read them again because I got so excited about what was going to happen, I think I read over some important details, KWIM?
  • Yeah, they took me about ten hours.  I couldn't put them down!
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Yesssssssssssssssssssssss. We've converted another.  :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • That doesn't mean her mom isn't first generation.  Typically first generation is that who is actually born in that society.

In the real world. First generation Americans have immigrant parents who gave birth to them here in the USA.  Does that make sense?

Alex since you just read it. Wasn't Edith described as to be a resemblance to her and her mom?  

I don't own the books or  I would reread that part?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Tris recognizes her when she smiles, just before she announces her name will be Edith Prior.  The only physical description they give her is having brown hair.
  • Multiple places on google tell me that it is her grandmother.

And here is my question (and it is a dystopia so things can be different) but isn't your last name from your dad, so wouldn't Edith Prior be her dad's mom or something? How would she look like her mom if she had her dad's last name. Unless I missed something that says in the Divergent-verse you get your mom's last name...
    I am married to my best friend, my soulmate, my fence post.
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to Re: So I Read Divergent and Insurgent Today...:
    Multiple places on google tell me that it is her grandmother. And here is my question (and it is a dystopia so things can be different) but isn't your last name from your dad, so wouldn't Edith Prior be her dad's mom or something? How would she look like her mom if she had her dad's last name. Unless I missed something that says in the Divergent-verse you get your mom's last name...
    Posted by ms.jess
    this is exactly what I was thinking. I really thought the impression was of her mom but that could be my instinct and not actually in the book which is why I asked.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards