• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
May 2011 Weddings

NWR-Could use some good vibes!

So..I was offered a promotion today within my dept..which I'm not insane about (we've had it rough for the last year or so...I was actually thinking about transferring out), but the thing is, they offered me the part-time position (I applied for full-time), so I will still have to be working my regular staff nursing job as well to make up the hours. The problem is the promotional job is days, I work nights. I crunched the numbers (actually Jim did), and found that between the two different pay scales (I would lose my night differential if I switched totally to days), I need a little bit of a raise. My manager (she's brand new, very nice and supportive) is going to ask her boss tomorrow. I'm not holding my breath. Thing is, I CAN'T take any paycuts. Period. We are scraping along as it is. The other thing I COULD do it rotate shifts...so I would work my promotional position on days 1 1/2 days a week, and still work 2 nights a week. (I demanded my nights be 12 hour shifts so I have more tunaround time. No way could I handle 3 night shifts and then turn back to days). Of course, I would much rather go back to days so I can feel human again...

Then today, of course, we find out that Jim's hospital is under a wage freeze (he works for the VA Hospital). AAHH! We were really counting on his increase coming up. He hasn't been able to find a nursing job in two years, so he's been working as a CNA with a nursing license. He does have an interview tomorrow in a different dept. for a nursing position. So even with this stupid wage freeze, he'd be making more, which we really need since his student loans are about to hit us anytime. 

SO, tomorrow is a big day for both of us. He has his interview, and I get to wait to see if I can take this new position. And, BREATHE. Surprised
"The best thing about loving and being hurt is that you get to know what true love really is. For as gold is tested in fire, and so will love be perfected in pain."
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Planning Bio/Blog

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: NWR-Could use some good vibes!

• Oh wow... no nursing jobs?!  we have those everywhere around me.  i really thought there would always be jobs in nursing.  I hope FI gets the better job and that you get the one you want.  It is very difficult working differentiating schedules.  I have been doing it for a year and I am exhausted with it.  I am sending good vibes your way though.  I hope everything works out for the best :)
  • **********SENDING GOOD VIBES YOUR WAY!!!!****************************

xx KimCool
    Photobucket
  • Thanks! No, not really. The problem is that we are in the middle of a "shortage," but the facilities can't afford to pay, so what they do is put up openings and go through the process, but then never end up hiring anyone. They say they can't find anyone qualified. The other thing that is happening is..orientation is expensive, so they don't want to hire new grads, because then they'd have to pay for all that orientation, plus whoever's orienting them and all the classes and such, yet they don't want to hire an experienced nurse because they would have to pay them more than a less experienced nurse. It's a vicious cycle. It's really bad because so many facilities across the country are so short-staffed and staff to patient ratio is insane, making it very dangerous for us and for the patients. Errors are happening all over the place, including where I work...errors that they are saying are due to staffing. 

It's interesting, because when FI was in RN school, he did a paper on this and found tons of facts on it...it's happening everywhere, but for some reason, the mid-west seems to get the worst of it. I lost my job in a hospital back in '08 and haven't been able to get back in since. The last job I had prior to this one went under a wage freeze on their own. The hospital I work for now (I don't work IN the hospital, but I am under them), have decreased their base pay rates. I think I was one of the last ones to get a hiring bonus. 

When I graduated in 2007, I was offered 7 jobs out of 8 interviews. When FI graduated, out of his entire class, 2 of them are working as RNs. Most of them can't even get an interview. What a difference! He's been lucky to get a few, but hasn't landed a job yet. And he's just looking for LPN right now. There are jobs in nursing homes, but once you go there, it's very hard to get back out, and he works in a hospital right now, so I'm making him stay. Don't want him to go through the same thing I did. 

I'm not sure I want this job or not...it wouldn't be back in the hospital, but I would be moving up the ladder and might be able to change a few things...not sure what to do yet. Can't wait around forever for jobs to open up either! lol
    "The best thing about loving and being hurt is that you get to know what true love really is. For as gold is tested in fire, and so will love be perfected in pain."
    Planning Bio/Blog

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks girls!
    Planning Bio/Blog

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Best of luck to both you and your FI! - Sending many vibes your way!!

Miss | Mrs | Blog
  • Sending awesome thoughts and good job vibes!
    ~ Missie

Welcome Baby Grace to the world! (via emergency c-section @ 38w2d)
    2/24/12 12:03pm 5lbs, 9oz Birth Story
    image image image
    image image image
    Linky--> EP FB Group - March '12 FB Group <---Linky </b>
  • Thanks girls! He said his interview went alright...I haven't heard back from my boss yet, which is unusual. She is the type that always gets back to us. Sigh...maybe I'll hear from her tomorrow. Had a hard time sleeping today..kept checking my phone. lol
    Planning Bio/Blog

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards