May 2011 Weddings

whats your opinion?

Have you heard the news surrounding Penn state?  Them removing JoPa's statue from infront of the stadium, and people calling for them to vacate some of his wins?

What do you think. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
Fred Rogers

Re: whats your opinion?

• I'm so freaking tired of hearing about this crap. Seriously, it's all anyone talks about around here.
    The man is DEAD. Just leave him in peace! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • jess that is kind of how I feel (and I don't live close!)  

I feel like taking away wins is silly in general, ummm I am pretty sure the players that played that game know they won.  I think JoPa holds a recod, so taking away wins would take him out of record books?  I am still not sure it will impact anything really.  His legacy has been set, he will go down in history both his success on his field and this scandal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • degreadegrea
    2500 Comments

I have an UO on this one as well. He reported it up to his boss; they didn't do anything with the information. If I reported something to my boss and nothing is done about it what I am I suppose to do. Nothing or you lose your job.

He was a great coach. This scandal doesn't change that. Leave the poor man and his statue alone for crisis sake. People need to calm the eff down and remember that it wasn't JoPa that was hurting children. He suspected it and reported it.

I am also sick of hearing about it.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • degrea I pretty much agree with you.   I am also terribly saddened for his family.  I feel like they aren't able to properly mourn the loss of their husband, father, grandfather because of all this and it breaks my heart.  

Jess maybe you can help me with a few facts I don't rightly know/ remember.

After the incident was reported how long was the SOB still working there?

Fred Rogers
  • I could count the number of politicians, etc. on two hands from IL/Chicago who have buildings and other stuff named after them and the large majority of them were involved in some kind of scandal.  Does that make it okay? No, but plenty of people f*uck up majorly and then turn themselves around. Media has really sensationalized this one; especially sports reporters, who really have no business talking about investigative reporting. Brown University (where Paterno went) removed his name from an annual award they give, and are considering removing him from their athletic hall of fame. My dad went to Brown and has always been a JoePa fan, but I haven't had a chance to ask him what he thinks about all of this.

He's dead and can't defend himself. Let him RIP.
  • I feel bad for H. He grew up pretty much idolizing the football program. We even got Chase some Penn State onesies and H has shirts and hats of PSU. After all this happened and news came out that JoePa knew more than he let on, H said he didn't think he would wear any Penn State stuff anymore and didn't think we should put the Penn State stuff on Chase that we have. I told him that all the people involved are no longer there. That shouldn't change how he feels about the school.

Now me, they shouldn't take the wins away from him. He was a great coach and has nothing to do with the scandal. He earned those wins. And I'm kind of with Degrea...he reported it. He did his job. But he did know it was still going on, right? I'm fuzzy on that. If he did, then he should have been more proactive and done more. I don't have an opinion on the statue. I don't think it should be removed is y initial thought. They put it up because of his wins and how great of a coach he was. Just my $0.02.

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel like if you look at his reputation as a coach and as a role model for his student athletes that this incident sticks out like a sore thumb. He is known for pushing his athletes to be better students and people. And I think that is why all this doesn't quite make sense (that he would just let it be). I feel like he handled it the way he thought was best for those kids and his beloved university. Was it enough? hardly and I think even he would say that, but at the time I bet he did what he thought would be best for everyone. crimes against children makes me angry like want to get violent angry and I hope Sandirtbag rots in some dark corner. I just feel like JoPa's role in this has been blown to an extraordinary proportion. He is taking more blame than Sandirtbag and all the higher ups who actively covered up this scandal combined and that seems wrong.
    Fred Rogers
  • I think TK is eating posts!
  • it so is aimers
    Fred Rogers
  • In Response to Re: whats your opinion?:
    I don't think they should take away wins, it's not the students faults the coach was a dirtbag.  I do think it's fair to take down the statue, though.  It'll just stand as a reminder that his sports legacy was more important than the welfare of the kids he failed to protect.
    Posted by Beaniebeach
    If anything, it's symbolic to the victims and the victims families that the University is trying to right the past mistake.  By keeping a statue of a man who knew (or at least had heard) children were being molested, I think it sends a terrible message to the public.  LIke yeah, we know he did a bad thing but we're going to keep it because he made us a lot of money over the years.

He may have had a lot of wins but how can you be a good human being and knowingly sit by and allow this to happen?

Think of it this way.  An assistant principle hears from someone that one of their teachers is molesting children.  He tells his principle.  But nothing happens, do you think the assistant principle should get off the hook "because he told."  No.  You follow up.  Until you hear that someone has been cleared of the accusations, you continue to follow up.  If your higher up wont' do anything, you go to the police.  You go to your boss' boss.  Or your boss' boss' boss.  Until sh*t gets taken care of.  These are children for christsake.  When did football become more important than children?

/rant and I'm getting off my soapbox.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
    Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: whats your opinion?:
    I feel like if you look at his reputation as a coach and as a role model for his student athletes that this incident sticks out like a sore thumb. He is known for pushing his athletes to be better students and people. And I think that is why all this doesn't quite make sense (that he would just let it be). I feel like he handled it the way he thought was best for those kids and his beloved university. Was it enough? hardly and I think even he would say that, but at the time I bet he did what he thought would be best for everyone. crimes against children makes me angry like want to get violent angry and I hope Sandirtbag rots in some dark corner. I just feel like JoPa's role in this has been blown to an extraordinary proportion. He is taking more blame than Sandirtbag and all the higher ups who actively covered up this scandal combined and that seems wrong.
    Posted by aggiebug

I agree.

I went to Penn State...Although I did not go to main campus, have never been there or to a football game, and couldn't care less about football in any variety (Penn State, pro, or otherwise).  So I don't have a blind attachment to the football program and it's storied coach, as some diehard Penn Staters do...  I think Paterno is to some extent taking the brunt of some things that he shouldn't because he's not here to defend himself.  Unless more info comes out to the contrary, like Aggie I'm inclined to think that at the time, he thought he was doing what was best for those involved.  Looking back, he might have done things differently, but hindsight is always 20/20.  

I don't think the whole school should be blamed for the (albeit disgustingly heinous) actions of a few people involved in a football program, nor should the entire football program and it's on-field achievements pay for the off-field actions of a few individuals who were involved with it.  

Vacating wins for something that had nothing to do with how that win was obtained, IMO, is just petty.  If he was giving players steroids or something it would be a different story.

Paterno's legacy will forever be tied to both the Penn State football record AND the Penn State sex scandal.  There's good there and bad there...it's not fair to the students who were also part of that football record to mix the two up.  Don't make the students pay for the crimes of someone else, which may or may not have been covered up by their coach and which didn't affect how they played football.  Let the man and the good he accomplished rest in peace for the sake of his family, and deal with whatever part (however major or minor in comparison to the actual perpetrator...) he may have played in the abuse scandal as a separate issue.  Think what you will of the man, but unless information is uncovered to the contrary, his on-field Penn State college football performance and whatever involvement he may or may not have had in the Sandusky coverup are two completely independent things.

Love 06/2005 | Marriage 05/28/2011 | Baby! Peanut born on his due date, 9/30/12 Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to Re:whats your opinion?:
    In Response to Re: whats your opinion?:I feel like if you look at his reputation as a coach and as a role model for his student athletes that this incident sticks out like a sore thumb. He is known for pushing his athletes to be better students and people. And I think that is why all this doesn't quite make sense that he would just let it be. I feel like he handled it the way he thought was best for those kids and his beloved university. Was it enough? hardly and I think even he would say that, but at the time I bet he did what he thought would be best for everyone. crimes against children makes me angry like want to get violent angry and I hope Sandirtbag rots in some dark corner. I just feel like JoPa's role in this has been blown to an extraordinary proportion. He is taking more blame than Sandirtbag and all the higher ups who actively covered up this scandal combined and that seems wrong.Posted by aggiebugI agree.I went to Penn State...Although I did not go to main campus, have never been there or to a football game, and couldn't care less about football in any variety Penn State, pro, or otherwise. nbsp;So I don't have a blind attachment to the football program and it's storied coach, as some diehard Penn Staters do... nbsp;I think Paterno is to some extent taking the brunt of some things that he shouldn't because he's not here to defend himself. nbsp;Unless more info comes out to the contrary, like Aggie I'm inclined to think that at the time, he thought he was doing what was best for those involved. nbsp;Looking back, he might have done things differently, but hindsight is always 20/20. nbsp;I don't think the whole school should be blamed for the albeit disgustingly heinous actions of a few people involved in a football program, nor should the entire football program and it's onfield achievements pay for the offfield actions of a few individuals who were involved with it. nbsp;Vacating wins for something that had nothing to do with how that win was obtained, IMO, is just petty. nbsp;If he was giving players steroids or something it would be a different story.Paterno's legacy will forever be tied to both the Penn State football record AND the Penn State sex scandal. nbsp;There's good there and bad there...it's not fair to the students who were also part of that football record to mix the two up. nbsp;Don't make the students pay for the crimes of someone else, which may or may not have been covered up by their coach and which didn't affect how they played football. nbsp;Let the man and the good he accomplished rest in peace for the sake of his family, and deal with whatever part however major or minor in comparison to the actual perpetrator... he may have played in the abuse scandal as a separate issue. nbsp;Think what you will of the man, but unless information is uncovered to the contrary, his onfield Penn State college football performance and whatever involvement he may or may not have had in the Sandusky coverup are two completely independent things. Posted by christyhal
    I am glad someone saw my post... I can only see yours on TKmobile.
    Fred Rogers
  • Oh I know BB.  My response was supposed to be furthering your point and I meant to say I agree with you but decided to jump right into my rant to begin with.  Sorry for the confusion!
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
    Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • In Response to Re:whats your opinion?:
    I think TK is eating posts! Posted by aimers1525
    They're on the mobile site! I had to come here to see them.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • well I had a fairly elaborate post but TK has eaten it and seems to want to keep it mostly a secret. basically I don't think he is perfect or entirely innocent but I do think people feel like its just that his legacy beyond the scandal is just wins and losses and that if they don't try and erase him they are standing for scandal. he did a lot for student athletes and the community. he pushed academics and civic responsibility when no other college coach did. again I don't think he is innocent and that the scandal needs to be forgotten but I feel like he is taken a brunt of the fire storm more than Sandirtbag and the higher ups in the program combined which is ridiculous
    Fred Rogers
  • In Response to Re: whats your opinion?:
    degrea I pretty much agree with you.   I am also terribly saddened for his family.  I feel like they aren't able to properly mourn the loss of their husband, father, grandfather because of all this and it breaks my heart.   Jess maybe you can help me with a few facts I don't rightly know/ remember. After the incident was reported how long was the SOB still working there ?
    Posted by aggiebug
    Sorry, didn't see this. We were out and about town.

I really tried not to pay too much attention to this whole thing when it was in the news. So I really don't know much about it all. 

I could actually care less what happens. 
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards