May 2011 Weddings

Happy Olympics Day!

I don't know about you but I am beyond excited for the Olympics to start.  I absolutely love them!!  What are your favorite events?  Mine are gymastics (#1), swimming, and diving is usually pretty cool too.

We have our staff inservice today so I won't be around.  I hope everyone has a fantastic Friday!!
May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: Happy Olympics Day!

• love the Olympics! I like track, diving , equestrian,gymnastics. pretty much like to watch anything on. I am quite irritated with H today. bahhhhhhhh
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • I'm so excited for The Olympics! I'm with you. Gymnastics, swimming and diving are my favorites to watch too. I could do without the beach volleyball just because they show it every day. Soccer started a couple days ago, which I thought was weird.

So I'm riding in style today. My car is going in this weekend to be looked at. The engine light came back on a couple weeks ago and hasn't gone back off. Plus, if I'm stopped at a stoplight for too long, my AC stops being so C. Well, last night I was stuck in accident traffic and I saw my heat guage slowly creeping up. Once it hit the middle line, I ended up getting over and got off the freeway. And at one point, I was stopped at a light and the needle went up to in between the 1/4 mark line and the 1/2 way line. We were going to take it in while we went on vacation, but after last night and with Chase in the car, it couldn't wait 3 weeks. So after over a year of having his car, H finally let me drive it. It's a 2011 Dodge Charger and I get to drive around with a license plate that says "Go Phils" haha I'm terrified of how much this is going to cost me, though. I'm thinking I'll have to dip into my savings. And all this after we paid for our vacation and my part was about $750 (we split the flight, car and hotel cost in half). My poor savings. :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to Re: Happy Olympics Day!:
    I think gymnastics might be my favorite.  H's favorite is womens beach volleyball...I wonder why...  This is going to make me sound like a loser, but what time do the opening ceremonies start tonight?
    Posted by Beaniebeach
    7:30 I think...
    Anniversary
  • I'm excitedfor the Olympics but sad because we have no cable. During the last winter olympics they showed a lot on the one station we catch but the station has changed companies and we won't get any this time. In the eastern time zone opening ceremonies are at 4 and repeat at 730 on our Canadian channel. 2pm is the preview. I love diving, gymnastics, canoeing, kayaking, rowing, and volleyball.
  • degreadegrea
    2500 Comments
    I heart the Olympics as well. I love all the events but will miss softball this year. Booo!

Not too much doing on here today. I have a half day and than we are making the last push before the party this weekend. We are in good shape just need to dust and straighten up some of the rooms. O and H needs to put the door knobs on most of the doors. Hopefully the weather holds out because I don't want all those people in my house.

O and JLQ I saw your post yesterday about lightening hitting the substation. As a FYI we do study to prevent lighting from hitting substation and put up lightening mass/rods if they are in danger. Also if lightening was to hit a substation we insall lightening arrestors to prevent the equipment from getting damaged. So the chances of lightening causing a substation to blow up is really none. I can't think of any substation that have blown up because of lightening.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • Looooveee the Olympics! My fav is gymnastics (duh), swimming, soccer, track and field and volleyball for sure! I'm purposely not going out with a friend tonight and staying home to watch lol

On a different note, the Olympics are a bit bittersweet. One of my dear friends died while vounteering in Beijing for teh 2008 Olympics, so this is teh 4th anniversary of her death. Sorry to be a debbie downer this morning!

Aggs, sorry you are not happy w/you H :(
  • I'm so sorry, Aimers! :( Was it related to the Olympics, or it just happened over there during all the hoopla?

Aggs, why are you irritated with your H?
    Anniversary
    I'm so sorry, Aimers! :( Was it related to the Olympics, or it just happened over there during all the hoopla? Aggs, why are you irritated with your H?
    Posted by kris2131
    Thanks, Kris. It's actually a really bizzarre story, and there are conflicting reports about how she actually died. It was related to the Olympics, I guess, because she was there  volunteering, but what her family was told was a little far-fetched.
  • aimers, that is strange and scary.

aggie, hope you and your H work things out, care to share more details?

I am excited about the Olympics, I want to watch the opening ceremonies tonight.  I heard some interesting teasers on the radio this morning, I'm sure it will be quite a show!  Gymnastics is my favorite to watch, even though I have a hard time not thinking about how those girls punish their bodies to get to that level.  I still find it fascinating.

I can't believe it's Friday already, this week has flown by for me!
    imageimage
  • good morning!!! we are leaving for the Outer Banks tonight!  packing myself, Andrew AND the baby ugh!   I just had to buy a tankini BLECHHHHHHHHHHHHH but my stomach is not quite ready yet for my bikini - boo :(
    photo 079784b6-db39-45bd-baa4-d4d1663846f3.jpg Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • oh we are fine just the typical drive you crazy stuff. We now have ants in our kitchen because he didn't want to pay for an exterminator which I have wanted since we moved in. They were on the counter with his cake and I didn't feel bad. that and I go to load dishes into the dish washer and it was so full why couldn't he start it last night? that is why we get into streaks of constantly having dirty dishes which he doesn't like (nor do I)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Morning. 

I enjoy gymnastics.  I want to like the swimming since I was a competitive swimmer for so long, but I don't.  I'll watch it, but I'll be bored in about three minutes. 

I always wanted to learn how to pole vault.  Doesn't that look just awesome?

Here's an interesting article about women gymnasts: http://deadspin.com/5929406/happy-girl-sad-girl-shawn-johnson-and-dominique-moceanu-tell-the-two-stories-people-want-from-their-sport
    Joy, that was really fascinating.  I have a great respect for what those girls go through to become athletes at that level, and I agree that it's unfair for them to be portrayed as either adorable, bubbly children or abused kids who are forced by their coaches and parents to do what they do.  I'm not sure I could take the pressure at that level even if I had the talent (I used to choke up during high school tennis matches sometimes), so I know that they are both athletically and mentally tough if they've made it to the Olympics.

Also, pole vault kind of scares me, I tried high jump in high school and that was almost more than I could handle - guess it just turns out I'm not cut out for serious competitive sports!  Good thing that's not what I wanted to do :)
    imageimage
  • AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem
    5000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Happy Olympics Day!:
    In Response to Re: Happy Olympics Day! : Joy, that was really fascinating.  I have a great respect for what those girls go through to become athletes at that level, and I agree that it's unfair for them to be portrayed as either adorable, bubbly children or abused kids who are forced by their coaches and parents to do what they do.
    Posted by dannie134
    Right?!  It was an actually interesting point.  Gymnasts have high profiles at the Olympics so we see all these pictures of petite, little girls and we make assumptions based on it.  Why doesn't that sweet-looking girl also have the same drive an determination as a 15 year male diver or 25 year old female swimmer?  A very young Kerri Strugg made the choice to go to the Karyolis because it was what she wanted.  It's so easy to forget that or be blinded by their sweet faces.  You almost have to think they were forced there, but that's probably not true most of the time.  Shawn and Dominque merely represent two extremes.

I had no idea that Shawn Johnson's road was straight forward.  Did you read about Dominque's adopted out biological sister?  That story is crazy!
  • degreadegrea
    2500 Comments

Joy that is a great article and interesting point. I guess I always taught of them as little girls as well. But it is very true; they choose this path and worked extremely hard to get there. O and thing about the sister is crazy and very wrong.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
    O and JLQ I saw your post yesterday about lightening hitting the substation. As a FYI we do study to prevent lighting from hitting substation and put up lightening mass/rods if they are in danger. Also if lightening was to hit a substation we insall lightening arrestors to prevent the equipment from getting damaged. So the chances of lightening causing a substation to blow up is really none. I can't think of any substation that have blown up because of lightening.
    Posted by degrea
    This makes me feel so much better! hahah! I seriously fear the thing blowing up and us dying in the process. 

Thankfully nothing bad happened here yesterday with the storms, but my hometown got hit super hard. Places are without power and the fire department was being called out left and right. My uncle has a crazy big tree down in his backyard, just missed his house. It's all crazy. 
    Apparently they also don't have cell servie up there, so that's all over my FB and I'm so annoed. Like surely you people can live for a few hours without cell service while they fix more important things like ya know, givine people their power back. Geeze. 
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Also, I'm not excited for the Olypmics since we don't have cable so I won't be watching any of it.  :( :(  :( :( :(
    And I really like the Olypmics. boooo!!!! 
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • degreadegrea
    2500 Comments
    JLQ: Rest easy that even if our substation blows up unless you are standing with 10 feet of what blew up you will be fine. It is an impressive fire and that is about it. We clear electricity for the equation in 30 cycles= 1/2 second. So really really quick! Honestly people worry about substation and transmission lines but we really do a lot to prevent injuries to the public. For instance you will receive more EMF from a hair dryer or your cell phone than if you are standing under a transmission line.

Just remember if you see a line down stay away. If a line falls down around you, hop with your feet together away from the area. If you are stuck in a lightening storm squat down with you feet together. If your lights go out call the power company; it helps us determine where the problem is the more calls we get. O and number pet peeve of mine... it is a utility pole not telephone pole. If you have any other questions just ask. I build substation and design distribution and tranmission lines for a living.
  • hahah - I totally call them telephone poles! Old habits die hard! 
    You are now my go-to person for all questions regarding power things! 

I do have to ask - why is it so important to keep your feet together? I think I know why, but I want to be sure. 
    my read shelf:
    If your lights go out call the power company; it helps us determine where the problem is the more calls we get. O and number pet peeve of mine... it is a utility pole not telephone pole. If you have any other questions just ask. I build substation and design distribution and tranmission lines for a living.
    Posted by degrea
    This is fascinating.  I always assumed that the power company would be like "Yes, we know the power's out!  We're working on it so please stop calling!"  Haha.

And I'd call it a telephone pole Embarassed
  • I'm so freaing annoyed right now.
    Yesterday DH came home from work and realized he couldn't find his ID badge, which he needs to get in and out of the building at work. It was either lost between his car and our apartment, in his car, or at physical therapy. Instead of going out to look for it yesterday, he was just like "oh well"
    So then he calls me 5 minutes ago and says I need to go to PT and get his ID badge for him because that's where it is and they close at 1:00.  Seriously??? No. 
    ARGHHHH. 
    So.Annoyed.
    my read shelf:
  • degrea: I had a job one summer at a construction group where they placed ground rods.  My job (as a summer temp) was to determine where the ground rods should go based on some nebulous set of rules I was given by my boss, who was rarely around to tell me if I was doing it right.  That made me nervous.

On the flip side, I designed an Excel spread sheet system for them while I was there that let them actually keep track of who was assigned to what region and whether the work had been completed, so at least I contributed something useful.

I am amazed looking back at my time as a temp at what important jobs I was given with very little training.  But I bet you could explain to me exactly what I should have been doing!  My family still teases me about ground rods to this day :)
    imageimage
  • degreadegrea
    2500 Comments
    edited July 2012
    JLQ: you keep your feet together so you are at the same potential. If you separate your feet one foot could be at a different potential than the other making your body a path for ground. Joy: I thought the same thing. But we have software based on your address that determine if something on the feeder like a fuse opened or if the distribution breaker open or do something more major like transmission problem. Also some people call and say that the wire is down. That information is helpful as well. O and I called it a telephone pole too. Till I started work for the utility. No worries. Dannie: what company did you intern for? NStar?? Ground rods are really not that super important. I think we have a every five poles you put in a ground rod. They are being dug up all the time because they are cooper.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards