May 2011 Weddings

SuBC Check In

What did you read this week?
May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: SuBC Check In

• The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway - book set in an Olympic city - 15 points

I'm on the fence about this one. I think it was well written, but I didn't love the story.

Dracula by Bram Stoker - watch movie then read book - 25 points

I don't know which version of the movie I watched, but it was awful. It had all of the characters, but only followed maybe 20% of the plot. The rest of it had nothing to do with the original storyline. I'm glad I read the book after so I knew what the real story was. It was definitely better.
  • Read a book by one of your favorite authors: The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks (10pts)

It was good, pretty standard NS.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • I read Insurgent by Veronica Roth. Can you read the same category twice? If so, author under 25 for 15. If not, outside on the cover 10. Also I couldn't find the list of 25pt categories... I liked Insurgent, but Tris really gets on my nerves. The twist at the end kept me interested, so I am looking forward to the third one.
    I am married to my best friend, my soulmate, my fence post.
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I was a busy little bee this week:

- That Summer by Sarah Dessen - 5 pts (read a book under 200 pages)
    - Back Spin by Harlan Coben - 15 pts (read a book with a two word title)
    - Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - 15 pts (read and discuss the July NBC book)
    - Neither Here nor There by Bill Bryson - 15 pts (read a travelogue)

That Summer was really blah.  It was Dessen's first novel and you could definitely tell.  There seemed to be no plot, character development, or anything interesting of note.  Thankfully it was only 140-some pages so it wasn't very long.

I listened to Neither Here nor There on audiobook and it was ok.  It was about the author's travels across Europe.  It was rather dry but there were spots of humor here and there.

I really enjoyed Perks of Being a Wallflower.  Although I kept wanting to know if the main character had some sort of autism/Asbergers.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
    Elizabeth's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • @ Jess - you cannot "reuse" a category and still collect points.  One book/one category.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
  • I finished ...

The Wave: In Pursuit of the Rogues, Freaks and Giants of the Ocean (read a book with a picture of the outdoors on the cover, 10 pts)

The Perks of Being a Wallflower (read and discuss the July, August or September NBC book, 15 pts).

I actually borrowed The Wave from DH, but I really ended up loving it - it combined some of the science of rogue waves with big wave surfing stories.

I haven't technically discussed The Perks of Being a Wallflower yet, but I plan to tomorrow when it comes up on NBC.  I really really loved this book, it was a quick read (it's pretty short actually) but I was fascinated by the main character.
    imageimage
  • I read a book this week but I'm not sure yet where I want to put it, so I'll save it for next week's check in. 

Dannie and BLV - I'm glad you guys liked Perks of Being a Wallflower. I enjoyed it too. I was interested in the main character but moreso with with the friend he was writing to. I really wanted to know who his friend was. BLV - Just curious, what made you think he had autism/aspergers?
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
  • In Response to Re: SuBC Check In:
    Dannie and BLV - I'm glad you guys liked Perks of Being a Wallflower. I enjoyed it too. I was interested in the main character but moreso with with the friend he was writing to. I really wanted to know who his friend was. BLV - Just curious, what made you think he had autism/aspergers?
    Posted by uneek1323
    I did definitely wonder that as well, although I guess technically the person he's writing to isn't a 'friend', the way he puts it makes it seem like they have no connection other than the letters.  I would love to know whether this person actually reads them, though, and what he thinks, and part of me was hoping that he would write back at some point.
    imageimage
  • Just his mannerisms and complete lack of social awareness.  Based on my limited knowledge of Asbergers, that seems to be a common trait and would explain a lot of his behavior.  Then after doing some research on the book, it seems to be a common theory.
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
  • degreadegrea
    2500 Comments

I read Between The Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys for 15pts July, Aug. Sept NBC book.

I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it to anyone. I didn't learn anything about this part of WW2 and it was eye opening.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. - Unknown Why is electricity so expensive these days? Why does it cost so much for something I can make with a balloon and my hair? - Dennis Miller
  • In Response to Re:SuBC Check In:
    Jess you cannot quot;reusequot; a category and still collect points.nbsp; One book/one category. Posted by LaBellaVita23
    Thats what I figured, so I will count it as 10 for outside on the cover. :
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I've got a couple ..

P.S.  I Love You  - Find a movie based on a book, watch the movie first then read the book - 25 points

Matched - Read a book suggested by whatshouldireadnext.com  - 10 points

Technically, I haven't finished this yet, but I know I'm going to finish it today, so  I'm going to list it anyhow. 

The Diary of Darcy J. Rhone  - Read a book under 200 pages  - 5 points

When I picked P.S. I love you, I was really excited about the book. I've seen the movie a bunch of times, and love it. I cry ever ytime, but it's so so good. I had high hopes for the book, and I think because of that it fell a little flat. The movie and book are so different. The movie was "americanized" - the book is set all in Ireland as apposd to the US like the movie. So that was different. But the basic plot line is the same. The book was still really good, and I would still recommend it. 

I liked Matched. It was a YA dystopian novel, but I didn't feel as though I was just reading the same story as other YA dystopian novels. It was a bit different, and interesting enough that I read it in just a couple days.  I'm already ready to read the sequel! 
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Jess -

Here are the 25 pt categories:

- read a book with a Christmas word in the title
    - find a movie based on a book and watch the movie before reading the book
    - read a book located in a school
    - read a book that intimidates you for whatever reason
    - read a new to you book that is not part of a series and write a prequel or sequel summary
    May 21, 2011

my read shelf:
  • Thanks, I will bookmark it. 

@JLQ- So you would recommend Matched? I downloaded and read a sample on my Kindle and I liked it, but I wasn't really sure where the story would go after reading the first two chapters. If you recommend it, I will go ahead and buy it. 
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just his mannerisms and complete lack of social awareness.  Based on my limited knowledge of Asbergers, that seems to be a common trait and would explain a lot of his behavior.  Then after doing some research on the book, it seems to be a common theory.
    Posted by LaBellaVita23
    Hmmm - Interesting.
    **TTCAL** A little Irish cuteness- Cillian Murphy
    TTC #1 since December 2011
    Dx: Hypothyroidism, PCOS, one test away from confirming DOR
    BFP #1 1/16/12 EDD 9/16/12 m/c 1/26/12 }Sweet Pea{
    BFP #2 10/18/12 EDD 6/29/13 cp 10/24/12 }Bug{
    BFP #3 11/22/12 EDD 8/1/13 m/c 12/7/12 }Turkey{
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mah Chart * Mah Literary Blog * Mah Other Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic image
    ~*~Everyone is welcome~*~
    Thanks, I will bookmark it.  @JLQ- So you would recommend Matched? I downloaded and read a sample on my Kindle and I liked it, but I wasn't really sure where the story would go after reading the first two chapters. If you recommend it, I will go ahead and buy it. 
    Posted by ms.jess
    It wasn't my favorite YA dystopian novel. It went on a little longer than I felt was necessary .. It sort of stopped in a weird place.
    I would say try to borrow it from the library or a friend, unless you can buy it for cheap. It was good, and I'm not sad that I read it. I did enjoy it, and will probably read the sequel, but I'm not sure if I would pay for it myself. But I'm also poor and cheap. haha. 
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I will look to see if my library has it first lol. Thanks :
    Anniversary
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards