Honeymoon Discussions

from your experience/in your opinion...

Hi all,

We are looking at Mexico (playa del carmen) for our Sept. honeymoon, but it is hurricane season, so we are a little nervous about that.  But it has everything we want--Mayan Ruins, zip lines, hikes, scuba lessons, great snorkeling, Cozumel, etc. We also found that the resorts that are in our budget are quite nice in this area of Mexico.  Our back up plan is Aruba, as it is out of the hurricane belt, but it is more expensive and seems to have less to do.   

Anybody have experience with Aruba?  Or Mexico during the hurricane season?  In your opinions (and experiences!) would you say to spend a thousand dollars less and go to the place we really want to go and risk bad weather, or pay more and go to where we know we will have good weather but maybe not as much fun? 

Thanks!

Re: from your experience/in your opinion...

• Buy a good travel insurance policy and stick with your Mexico plan! That is, if you wouldn't mind having to rebook at the last minute.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • PDC is an amazing part of Mexico and we are considering going to that area as well for our honeymoon (first week of November).  I would do Mexico.  Sounds like you are like us and want the beach and the adventure and although Aruba is nice, it is a flat desert island and you won't have the jungles and ziplining adventures like you will in Mexico.  Another place we are considering is St. Lucia, so you could look into that as well - although in the hurricane belt it's pretty far south and it has lots of mountains and beaches.  Similar, IMO, to what we want in Mexico.
  • I agree with PP-PDC is an awesome place!  I've been twice, both at the end of August with no problems.  If you really want to go there, you should, it's your honeymoon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have also been to both Aruba and Mexico (Cancun and Cozumel) and I would definitely choose Mexico over Aruba especially if you're looking for the adventure excursions like you mentioned. If you go with Mexico, definitely make a day trip to Xcaret!

http://www.xcaret.com/

I would also suggest doing a sunset dinner cruise. Very romantic and FI and I had a wonderful evening. There's also a great ATV and waverunner excursion we did through the jungle and on the beach. I think they also had the ATV combo with horseback riding if that's more your thing than renting waverunners.

Oh and one more must see tour is Chichen Itza de lux tours. It takes you to the pyramid formations from the Myans. If you do the de lux tour you also get to go to the cenotes and cliff jump. I've included pictures below.

• i love mexico-i've been to cancun/rm once a year for the past 7 years.
    i don't like aruba.
    you do also know that while aruba is under the proverbial hurricane belt that they do, in fact, get hit from time to time? it's less than the rest of the area but it happens.
    purchase a good trip insurance policy and go to mexico.

• Thanks, gals!  I LOVE PDC and have been multiple times and love going to the Mayan Ruins, etc.  We chose our resort last night and are so excited to book our trip there!  Thanks for the encouragment, it was just what I needed!
  • Summer, where did you stay when you went?  When I went to PDC it was right in the town, and we are looking for a good AI for our honeymoon, possibly Secrets Maroma or The Royal Suites Yucatan.

Shauni, what did you pick for a hotel??  Do share :)
  • We went to Mexico (close to Playa del Carmen) the first week of October for our honeymoon and the weather was perfect.  No hurricanes, no rain, just sun!  If Mexico is where you really want to go, that is where you should go! 
  • hibiscus girl, we are likely going to stay at secrets capri riviera which is a few minutes from downtown pdc.  we were also looking at the valentin imperial, which is also just a few minutes from downtown as well.  both are having great deals right now!  the secrets capri riviera was voted the number two resort in all of mexico and they have a great honeymoon package that includes couples massages, champagne specials, an ocean view suite, dinner on the beach, etc.  good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards