• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
July 2011 Weddings

Diet Dilemma

Hi Ladies!

So I was about to start a diet tomorrow (lower-carb) and my mom jumps all over me about it and says it isn't maintainable..blah blah blah. I'm not quite sure what to do..I just want to do SOMETHING!!!! Exercising and counting calories hasn't worked...I don't know if maybe I'm not eating enough calories or what!!!

What diets are you ladies doing or do you recommend? I don't have money to spend on anything...so I can't really get information on the new weight watchers or anything. I was ready to go with low carb and now my mom has me second-guessing myself. It's the only diet that has ever really produced results for me (I know that a lot of it is water weight..but still!)

I'd be interested to hear what you ladies are doing or have done. :D
Wedding Countdown Ticker
290image Made the Cut!!
175image Are Ready to Party!!
56image Are Party Poopers!!
59image Still Checking the Calendar!!

Re: Diet Dilemma

• sparkpeople.com

It not only tells you how many calories you should eat, but also how many carbs, fats, protiens, etc.  It's very helpful and is a great resource.  They also have a lot of recipes, articles, etc. that can help!  Give it a try, it's totally free and can't hurt!!
    My goal for 2013...Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Different things work for different people, but when I follow these "rules" I always see results:

1.  Eat within 15 minutes of working out because your metabolism is at its peak

2.  It's not about counting calories, it's about portion control.  Take whatever portion of food you normally would and then put half of it back.

3.  Don't eat after 7:00 p.m.

4.  Don't deprive yourself of anything... again, it's about portion control not the foods you eat (unless, of course, all you're eating is junk food)
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2010
    def. agree with peaches...

but I'm also trying out sparkpeople.com to see how it works.  I have an older version of weight watchers that I'm going to try to incorporate too.  You may be able to find WW kits online that are for sale. 

I've also tried the Southbeach diet in high school..it worked awesome, I lost 20lbs in a month and a half.  but I tried it again and it just wasn't as effective.  I felt too deprived and restricted.  It just doesn't work with my lifestyle anymore. 

I just need to remember, like peaches said, portion control and limiting the junk food as much as possible.  I don't drink pop (soda), I don't eat candy...my weakness is ice cream.  I just have to limit how much I eat it during the week and keep to the recommended serving size.

so we'll see how it all works!  good luck!  if you need any motivation or just wanna chat you can always PM me!
  • just to piggyback off of what littlemoments just said about having an ice cream weakness... I do too!!  I found that the real fruit popsicles by Dryers satisfy my craving for cold sweetness and only have 80 calories!!  Perfect!
    My goal for 2013...Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Carb restriction isn't always the best way to go.  Complex carbohydrates (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc) is actually good for you and keeps you fuller longer.  If you cut out all carbs then you aren't helping yourself fight off your cravings.  Definately avoid carbs like sugars and junk food carbs (cookies, donuts, etc) but don't cut back carbs all together!!
  • I agree that Spark People is great. It's about eating the right amount of calories for your body and getting them from the right places. it doesn't actually matter WHEN during the day you eat (whether it's 10 AM or 10 PM); it matters HOW MUCH you are eating. Drink lots of water, eat balanced meals, portion control, and exercise. Also realize that sometimes you might be losing inches but not necessarily pounds.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Sorry, I didn't have time to read all the other posts yet (getting ready for work) so I apologize if I'm repeating someone else!

I follow weight watchers. I'm one of those "diets never work for me" people, but ww does work. I lost 20 lbs last year, and I've maintained that (in fact lost a couple more pounds) for 10 months now. I don't actually count points anymore, I just practice very strict portion control.

Some tips:

Try to balance your protein & carbs at each meal. Remember a serving of protein is the size of your palm, and a serving of carbs is the size of your fist.

Eat 6 times a day. 3 meals plus 3 small snacks. And make lunch smaller than you think it should be. You don't have to eat a whole lot for lunch if you know you've got 2:30 snack coming up!

Try to stay away from all those 100 calorie snack things. They're empty calories. Reach for fruit & veggies instead.

Try to be active for at least 30 minutes three times a week. You don't have to go overboard with working out (unless you LOVE working out), but try to do SOMETHING (even if you just get down on the floor & do crunches, pushups & leg lifts while you watch Oprah).

Find a buddy to work out with. You're way more likely to get off your butt if you know you'll be letting someone down if you don't.

Allow yourself a treat day each week. Seriously. On Saturdays, I eat whatever I want. It gives you something to look forward to, and it tricks your body into thinking you're not dieting anymore, so you'll have a little jump start the next day when you get back on the wagon.

These are all just things that work for me. I know how hard it is to find something that works.

Oh, and I agree with your mom, to a point. Don't limit your carbs dramatically. Especially if you're a carb-whore like me, it'll make you cranky and then you'll binge. Just balance the carbs out with protein.
  •  i also learned this tip from my gay husband bob harper from biggest loser...

your meal should be 1/2 vegetables, 1/4 protein, 1/4 starch.  "nobody ever got fat eating vegetables"

i also use mrs. dash to season my vegetables...it adds a bit of extra flavor without adding salt.

to help with portion control...i only cook the exact amount i should eat...that way, there is no ability for seconds.  and, try chewing gum after a meal...it helps trick me and FI into thinking we are getting something sweet and getting more food, when it's just a stick of gum.  oh...i always buy sugarless gum, but NEVER count calories of gum.  just a bit too ridiculous for me.
  • I'm not on a diet, per say, but I'm trying to eat healthy 6 days a week and then have 1 day off (really just 1 meal that day). It's only been two weeks, but it seems to be working out pretty well.
  • I get what all of you are saying! Here is what I eat on a typical day

two snacks - one usually a banana, one a veggie
    breakfast - small bowl of honey bunches of oats
    lunch - salad or half sandwich
    dinner - 4 oz. chicken or fish, a cup of broccoli, and either rice or pasta

I think I have decided that I should do Weight Watchers. I really think I'd see the most results from low-carb (I am not a snacker and I don't have any cravings for sweets, salt, butter, or anything) but I do want it to be more of a lifestyle thing and less of a diet.

Would you recommend signing up for the online thing or just do it on my own?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    290image Made the Cut!!
    175image Are Ready to Party!!
    56image Are Party Poopers!!
    59image Still Checking the Calendar!!

• In Response to Re: Diet Dilemma:
    [QUOTE]just to piggyback off of what littlemoments just said about having an ice cream weakness... I do too!!  I found that the real fruit popsicles by Dryers satisfy my craving for cold sweetness and only have 80 calories!!  Perfect!
    Posted by Leah&JP[/QUOTE]

I am going to have to look into this!! Thanks!!
  • In Response to Re: Diet Dilemma:
    [QUOTE]I get what all of you are saying! Here is what I eat on a typical day two snacks - one usually a banana, one a veggie breakfast - small bowl of honey bunches of oats lunch - salad or half sandwich dinner - 4 oz. chicken or fish, a cup of broccoli, and either rice or pasta I think I have decided that I should do Weight Watchers. I really think I'd see the most results from low-carb (I am not a snacker and I don't have any cravings for sweets, salt, butter, or anything) but I do want it to be more of a lifestyle thing and less of a diet. Would you recommend signing up for the online thing or just do it on my own?
    Posted by Brodie and Chevelle[/QUOTE]

When you say you are going to go "low-carb" what are you going to cut out from your regular diet here?  You are only eating 2 servings of carbs here to begin with (cereal and rice or pasta)... I'm not sure I see where you could go low-carb.  I would try upping your vegetable intake though.  Try eating more balanced meals too - ones that contain a protein (ie meat, beans, eggs), a carb (ie. brown rice or whole grain cereal), and a fruit or vegetable.  On a 9 inch plate you should have half of it covered in vegetables, a quarter in protein and a quarter in carbohydrates.

Just my opinion..
  • i loveee WW. i do the online thing only, and it works for me because i don't really have time for meetings. i like WW because i can still eat what i want, i just have to be careful about what i eat. for example, i can eat those fries, but they may be 10 points or something, which will cut into my dessert (i'm a chocoholic!). so it definitely makes me think about my food choices. also, their new plan gives the majority of fruits and veggies, if not all, 0 points...so you can essentially eat any fruit/veg you want!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards