Honeymoon Discussions

Deciding honeymoon location

Im still trying to figure out where we should go on our honeymoon which will be the beginning of August. At first we were looking into Riviera Maya in Mexico because it is reasonably priced and looked nice and FI would like to see the Mayan Ruins. Then my FSIL recommended St. Lucia. I would like a place that has a beautiful beach with clear blue water and a nice all inclusive adults only resort with possibly a swim up bar. My FI wants somewhere where we can also do things off of the resort and explore. I was also thinking of Antingua. I have talked to two different travel agents so that hasnt helped me decide. We also want somewhere that will not be too long of a flight from Newark, NJ or NY airports and somewhere thats not too expensive. I just cant decide and FI says he wants to go where I want. I know we have to decide soon so if anyone can help I would appreciate it. TIA
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Deciding honeymoon location

• I am going to Sandals Grande St. Lucian for my honeymoon, and it looks gorgeous.  They do have a swim up bar lol!

I did a search on airline prices for Antigua vs St. Lucia.  For Antigua, the cheapest flight is $233 per person coach (pretty cheap compared to what I found when I was searching) on the way there, and the same on the way back.  After taxes and all that crap it comes to $1200 total.  The drawback:  No matter how you swing it you're going to have an overnight layover in Miami.  This cuts down on the time you actually get to spend at your destination. 

St. Lucia was a lot cheaper with $159 per person both ways, for a total of $830 after taxes (man I wish it had been that cheap when we booked!).  Plus, you only have a layover on the way back if you go with St. Lucia.  And I know that at least with Sandals, the resorts on St. Lucia are a bit cheaper.  St. Lucia also has 3 Sandals, and if you book at one, you get to eat and hang out at all three for no additional cost.

I have heard though that the Sandals on Antigua is amazing though.  So anyway, there's a novel of pros and cons for you to consider!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We've been to Sandals Grande St. Lucian and loved it. Also, Sandals Negril in Jamaica and The Royal Cancun in Mexico (loved those two also).

We are heading to Sandals Antigua next March.

Out of all three that we have been to I must say that I loved St. Lucia the most.

I will warn you that the farther you go in the Caribbean the longer the flight (obviously LOL). St. Lucia with layover there and back was 8hrs. Jamaica direct flight was 4 or 4 1/2 and Mexico direct was 4hrs (we flew out of Philly). Antigua will also be 8hrs with layover.

Here's the link to our website if you'd like to view all the pics from our trips. Go to photo galleries then choose VACATION from the first drop down then from the second drop down choose which place/day you wish to view. We are working on making the site more navagatable (is that even a word LOL) but it's gonna take some time yet. HTH

http://www.kristiandkerry.com/HTML/Index.html
  • I signed up for weekly emails from www.travelzoo.com. They peruse over 1000 travel websites and send you a "top 20" last minute destinations every week. So far I've seen lots that are enticing, but we aren't getting married for 16 months.

Their "last minute" is often 2-3 months in advance. Plus by clicking on the links you can find additional websites that most people don't know about.

Good luck.
  • I would definitely vote for the Riviera Maya. It’s absolutely beautiful! One resort, in particular, I would recommend is Secrets Maroma Beach. The resort is adult’s only, the service is top notch and the food is delicious. However, I would have to say, without a doubt, that the best thing about this resort is the beach. It is honestly one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. It truly was paradise. The resort also offers tons of activities if you’re feeling adventurous such as snorkeling, kayaking, and pool volleyball. You can definitely venture off the resort and the resort staff will be more than happy to help you. Trust me, if you choose this resort, you won’t be disappointed. Good luck with your decision!

• I can't offer personal advice, but some good friends got married in Antigua at a Sandals resort (on their own, had receptionp when they got back), and they loved it.  However, they have had some other friends who did honeymoons in St. Lucia and wish they had gone there, or plan to go there next trip they make, because there was more to do off resort like hiking and "adventure" stuff.  Again, this is all second hand info, but maybe it will be helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards