• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
August 2011 Weddings

need advice - kinda long

My best friend is getting married next weekend and I am her maid of honor.  I took my dress in for alterations two weeks ago to a place that was recommended by a co-worker.  When I called to make the appointment, I asked if they could tell me roughly what they expected the alterations to cost (knowing that the exact amount may not be known until I actually took the dress in).  I need the dress to be hemmed (basically taking off all the extra length I was forced to add on because I'm 5'8" and the regular length is for people who are 5'7" or shorter), taken in slightly in the bust, and slightly on the sides.  On the phone, they told me it would be between $75-$125, which was fine.  I bring the dress in and as I'm checking out, they tell me it'll be $112.  Perfect.  Then she proceeds to tell me I'll pay the other $112 when I pick up the dress.  $225 in alterations for a dress that cost $185?? Are you serious?  I was so in shock I didn't know what to say at that point but the more I thought about it, the more I was furious about how much it cost.  I feel like I was intentionally misled and had I known the cost, I would have taken my dress elsewhere.  I can understand if it ended up being $25 or so more than what they quoted but $100 more than what they said most bridesmaids dresses cost is just insane to me.  If I had more time, I would have taken it elsewhere but I was concerned about there not being enough time to get the alterations if I left.  I was out of town last weekend, so this weekend would have been the earliest I could have gotten in for an alteration and I didn't think I would have enough time before the wedding.  

So...long story short, should I bring this up when I go pick up the dress on Saturday?  Or do you think that alteration places won't budge on this and it's not worth my time?  Ugh - I'm so angry about this!  

End rant.  Any advice?    

Re: need advice - kinda long

• I would mention it, I would also bring up that you're getting married and due to the fact they misled you about the pricing on their alterations, you won't be getting your alterations or referring your bms to get their alterations there.  Write a review on yelp too.
    August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Totally bring it up!  Just say you were quoted this price and while you understand it's a quote it is just unacceptable that it is over $100 more!
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards