Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Costa Rica in May

We are looking into honeymooning in Costa Rica during late May. Is this a good time? Does anyone have any suggestions of things to do or places to stay?

Re: Costa Rica in May

• Options
    Timing is great. The weather will be amazing. 

The highlights for me were Arenal (the semi-active volcano), Monteverde Cloud Forest (serious rain forrest), and Quepos (beachier, jungly, lots of monkeys and sloths). Get off the beaten trail and don't be afriad to let local guides take you on private trips. That's where the magic happened for me.
  • Options
    Just know that the Arenal volcano hasn't been active for a few months at least (maybe a year?)... if you google it you can read about it.  Costa Rican gov seems to be trying to keep it on the DL so that tourists keep coming to see it erupt.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_costa-rica-in-may-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:2b023e71-cdcc-4cb8-bc57-f50d42aef49bPost:d656cb75-74fd-4d4e-9dc2-6a0da9153d6d">Re: Costa Rica in May</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just know that the Arenal volcano hasn't been active for a few months at least (maybe a year?)... if you google it you can read about it.  Costa Rican gov seems to be trying to keep it on the DL so that tourists keep coming to see it erupt.
    Posted by hoffse[/QUOTE]

<div>That's sad. I got to hike to a nearby peak after dark and watch it spit fireballs and molten rock that tumbled down the side. Priceless. That was a few years ago. There's a website that tracks the current eruption status around the world. According to them Paos (in Costa Rica) is erupting right now.</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/erupting_volcanoes.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.volcanodiscovery.com/erupting_volcanoes.html</a></div>
  • Options
    Two placed we loved - El Silencio Lodge and Spa and Lapa Rios.   Both were amazing - rooms, service, food, activities.  Both would be excellent for a honeymoon trip - we were there for our first anniversary.  We also went to Arenal (great for activities but not our favorite place in general) and Uvita, but the cloud forest and Osa Peninsula both made the trip.  
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • Options
    I was there in June its where I got engaged! I would absolutely recommend it, and weather was perfect in June so I imagine May will be wonderful as well. We stayed on the Papagayo peninsula and for ultimate luxury I cannot think of anything better! However we also traveled around; we stayed dirt cheap 35 one night in a great surf town called Samara, we visited the Lanos de cortez waterfalls which was one of my favorite things we did, and also wen to Arenel. Though the volcano is no longer active there is still a lot to do in the area, we were super adventurous as decided to go waterfall rappelling through Desafio Adventures. If your a thrill seaker I would absolutely recommend! Nothing more exciting then rappelling down part of a 200 ft waterfall then basically ziplining the rest of the way down! I wish we had stayed the night somewhere in Arenal to experience some of the natural hot springs as well. All in all an amazing vacation! If I wasn't having my wedding in the middle of their rain season I would absolutely be going back for my honeymoon!
    Always try to be a little kinder than is necessary. ? J.M. Barrie
  • Options
    I LOVED LOVED Hotel Nayara near Arenal Volcano. The staff is fantastic and the view is amazing. We actually got engaged there :) I cannot say enough good things about this place. The rooms are huge. You have your own little hut thing. It's quiet and pretty much filled with couples. I saw one family the few days I was there. I booked all of our activities through the hotel and they were helpful in telling me what I may like and what I may not like based on what I told them. We did white water rafting (I was TERRIFIED but it ended up being a blast and i felt so safe), we hiked up a volcano and through a rainforest, we went ziplining (a must do), etc. The food there is great too and everyone speaks English. I really encourage you to check out this place. It's 3 hours from the nearest airport but well worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards