Honeymoon Discussions

Grand Wailea in Maui...

My fiance and I are planning on staying 12 nights at the Grand Wailea in Maui for our Honeymoon.  We haven't booked it yet and want to see what people think about it.  About how much should we budget per day?  Does anyone have any good ideas about things that we should make sure to do while we are there?  Any great restaurants?  Thanks!

Re: Grand Wailea in Maui...

• ok, first let me preface that this is a gorgeous hotel. We stayed 2 hotels down at the Fairmont.  I am so glad we did.  The Grand Wailea is totally overrun by kids.  They charge $40 per night additional (you pay this when you get there) for a resort fee.  They also allow off site guests to pay for the water park so you have non guests using all the chairs.  We loved the Fairmont and were still able to make reservations at the SPA at the Grand Wailea because it is renowned and not pay those crazy resort fees. The Fairmont is all suite (rooms are goreous) and all ocean view too. Now I didn't know all this on my own...as we were like you, going to hit the Grand Wailea, but I used a knottie recommended TA and hawaii guru (Rhonda at VIP Vacations) and not only did she give me the skinny on this but also saved me a ton!  We loved Wailea itself, the shops, the beach and jogged the pathway past the Four Seasons and Grand Wailea every morning.  PM if you need any other info!
  • Mm, they have SUCH a gorgeous spa!

Go tour around upcountry Maui - the winery and Surfing Goat Dairy are fun - plus poking in places like Makawao and Paia are a great time.

Surf school - Goofy Foot in Lahaina

Kayak & Snorkel trips (I really do love them, they'll point out all the wildlife for you and explain about the history/ecology of the area) - Maui Eco Tours

Eating - Sansei, Roy's, Mama's Fish House, Paul David's Lahaina Grill, Merriman's, the Haile'imale General Store, the Old Lahaina Luau (if you're going to do one, this is a great option).
  • We did a helicopter tour of Maui, Lanai, and Molokai.  That was a lot of fun and if you have the $$ (it's about $330 pp) I strongly recommend it.

Mama's Fish House is a great restaurant (it's a bit expensive so we made sure to budget for one really nice meal).

The Road to Hana is beautiful but I recommend taking some dramamine because those roads are super curvy.

I highly recommend doing a snorkeling adventure out to Molokini.  It's about 1/2 a day and you get to see a ton of fish and big sea turtles.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We also loved Sansei (for sushi) in Kapalua and the Road to Hana.  Wailea was the one area we never got to see so I can't help there.  This will be a must when we go back!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards