• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
September 2011 Weddings

Anyone else worried that gas will affect attendance?

So my friend who moved to Oregon went to buy his plane ticket yesterday and it was almost $500 which is almost double what he paid a year ago. A lot of our guests are driving in from OOT. I am starting to think more people are going to decline because they can't afford the gas. Anyone else worried about this?
Anniversary image

Re: Anyone else worried that gas will affect attendance?

• I never even thought of this.. and clearly it's not going to get better anytime soon.  If it were to be a reason of some guests not showing up I would fully understand, it'd be unfortunate, but paying for gas anymore is gut wrenching.  We travel home every other weekend for FI to work.. the other weekends we like keeping open to visit his family if we're able to because we don't see them often and pulling into the gas station is just depressing to do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 82 Made the cut!
    image 55 Are ready to celebrate! image 22 Are missing out! image 5 Are MIA!
  • It's $8.50 a gallon here so I feel the pain often. I hope it does not keep people from attending ( those in MI) but you do understand. It does not seem to make much difference to the international flights and that is a bonus.
  • I'm incredibly worried about this. Last year, the flights from Philly to Phoenix for Labor Day weekend were $300 MAX and now they are about $450.... I'm upset about it. I hope my family can make it.
    Anniversary
  • We have several relatives who will need to fly in also.  A few have already booked their tickets, but many have not.  I fear that it may affect their decision to attend also. 

I also worry that, since we booked guest shuttles, (venue is 1 hr. away from our hometown), that the transportation company will tag on additional fuel surcharges that will increase our costs.
    September 2011 Board-April Siggy Challenge-Honeymoon Pics
    imageimage
    Planning Bio-updated August 16, 2011 NH Knotties Site
    Anniversary
  • I am a little worried but more for my family and friends that are driving here instead of flying, the few that are going to fly in already got their plane tickets before the gas sky rocketed.
  • Luckily we have very few people from out of state, and the bulk of our list is less than an hour away, so that is nice.  However, it still worries me.  It seems gas prices have an impact on a lot of things, including delivery charges from vendors.  $8.50 for a gallon of gas????  I am going to stop complaining about our gas prices if this is the case.  
    Anniversary
  • I had to cancel attending a dear cousins wedding in New York in July because of this..either driving or flying was going to cost an arm and a leg.  I feel so bad, but she said she understood :(

Luckily, she would be the only one traveling far for our wedding, and I don't expect her to do so either.
  • Out of our 200 guest list only 10-15 people are from oot.

Get your Pregnancy Tickers

Baby Gender Predictor

• $8.50 a gallon! That is outrageous! I'd have to walk to work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I hadn't thought of this.  It's between one and two hours for almost all of my guests to get to the venue.  That's what I get for being euneek and wanting my wedding somewhere OOT.  Ugh.
  • hmm when I read this I thought you were speaking to flatulence at first. I have issues.
    Luckily those flying in have already booked their flights, but I do worry about those driving (EVERYONE has atleast a 30 minute drive)
    Photobucket
    image 169 Made the cut!
    image 137 Are ready to party! image29 Are missing out! image 3 Are making me crazy!
  • Yup I didn't intend to be a burden on all of our family, but our wedding is like on the other side of the state b/c I wanted to get married on Lake Michigan.  I think perhaps I will give people the option on the RSVP cards to attend both, or just the reception if the drive to the ceremony location is too far.  Just an idea, but a serious possibility.  So tired of this!
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2011-weddings_anyone-else-worried-gas-will-affect-attendance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:649Discussion:4caee063-36d8-4444-b353-d5b7f6bc4a87Post:845a9218-6141-4e29-bfb7-43f77ef8180e">Re: Anyone else worried that gas will affect attendance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's $8.50 a gallon here so I feel the pain often. I hope it does not keep people from attending ( those in MI) but you do understand. It does not seem to make much difference to the international flights and that is a bonus.
    Posted by hellerc1[/QUOTE]

Holy smokes! I feel like I need to stop complaining about my $4.09 a gallon over here!
    Anniversary An engaged woman is always more agreeable than a disengaged. She is satisfied with herself. Her cares are over, and she feels that she may exert all her powers of pleasing without suspicion. All is safe with a lady engaged; no harm can be done. ~Jane Austen BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2011-weddings_anyone-else-worried-gas-will-affect-attendance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:649Discussion:4caee063-36d8-4444-b353-d5b7f6bc4a87Post:18b7b3ee-435f-4ac8-b166-9981206b0332">Re: Anyone else worried that gas will affect attendance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yup I didn't intend to be a burden on all of our family, but our wedding is like on the other side of the state b/c I wanted to get married on Lake Michigan.  I think perhaps I will give people the option on the RSVP cards to attend both, or just the reception if the drive to the ceremony location is too far.  Just an idea, but a serious possibility.  So tired of this!
    Posted by lbow1984[/QUOTE]

What time is your wedding and your reception? Is it on the same day?
    Anniversary An engaged woman is always more agreeable than a disengaged. She is satisfied with herself. Her cares are over, and she feels that she may exert all her powers of pleasing without suspicion. All is safe with a lady engaged; no harm can be done. ~Jane Austen BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2011-weddings_anyone-else-worried-gas-will-affect-attendance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:649Discussion:4caee063-36d8-4444-b353-d5b7f6bc4a87Post:a564cad7-80c6-4b0f-ac20-09bcdb1c1baf">Re: Anyone else worried that gas will affect attendance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone else worried that gas will affect attendance? : What time is your wedding and your reception? Is it on the same day?
    Posted by MrsTucker2011[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the reception (another long story as to why they're so far apart) is 45 mins closer to home so all depending possibly some people would just want to attend the reception? The ceremony is at 3pm and the reception at 6pm (at least that's what we've planned.  We haven't printed the invitations yet. I know those closest to us would want to come to the ceremony too, but just a thought.  Honestly I don't know. 

I have the invitations now and just need to get them printed, but because I keep going back and forth on what to say on them I haven't yet, lol.
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI and I were talking about this a few days ago, but in relation to our HM... we're putting a little extra moolah away in case we get hit with a fuel surcharge on the cruise.... 
    Sept 2011 Dec Siggy Challange: Fav Holiday Things image Heat misers a ginger... http://jandk2011.weebly.com/
  • Didn't even think of this....can I pretend it didn't come up  Wink

It could change the minds of some travelling a distance (some of my bridal party) so we may try to offset that for them...however some are talking about carpooling - whatever works.

I am dreading the few extra trips home to move stuff to WI for the wedding - the FI's parents have now been sending gas gift cards for holidays....the EB gave us gas gift cards and a bag of dog treats.

On the upside Mer....I can crash your wedding AND have a seat! Smile
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2011-weddings_anyone-else-worried-gas-will-affect-attendance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:649Discussion:4caee063-36d8-4444-b353-d5b7f6bc4a87Post:9460f857-0cbb-431b-a7e1-9d618260a449">Re: Anyone else worried that gas will affect attendance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI and I were talking about this a few days ago, but in relation to our HM... we're putting a little extra moolah away in case we get hit with a fuel surcharge on the cruise.... 
    Posted by WnaBKaet[/QUOTE]
    *facebook like*

i've been watching the plane ticket prices (up $25 over the past 6 months). i'm sure some of our friends aren't saving their money (or enough money) and won't be able to make it to Florida. meh, we'll show them the video/photos when we get back :)
  • I didn't even think about it....We don't have many OOT guests anyway so if they can't make it oh well....I'm not going to stress over who is going to come and who won't.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So far, the only 1 that has mentioned it to us is FIs cousin. He lives out in Colorado and called last week and said that there is no way he can swing the plane ticket. Most of our other OOT guests have already booked their flights though so we are good. 
    September 2011 November Siggy Challenge: First Dance Photo (I still haven't uploaded all of my wedding pictures, so here's a picture of what happens when you mix me, my bridesmaids, a man who hates to dance, and an open bar). imageimage

101 in 1001
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2011-weddings_anyone-else-worried-gas-will-affect-attendance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:649Discussion:4caee063-36d8-4444-b353-d5b7f6bc4a87Post:3c0cbdf2-9fa8-45c3-9d5b-015391319389">Re: Anyone else worried that gas will affect attendance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So far, the only 1 that has mentioned it to us is FIs cousin. He lives out in Colorado and called last week and said that there is no way he can swing the plane ticket. Most of our other OOT guests have already booked their flights though so we are good. 
    Posted by dawnmarie0627[/QUOTE]

I wish my guests had been this organized. There are some people I am going to be really bummed if they can't come.

But I guess the plus side Jelenny is there will be a seat for you AND your FI!
    Anniversary image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2011-weddings_anyone-else-worried-gas-will-affect-attendance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:649Discussion:4caee063-36d8-4444-b353-d5b7f6bc4a87Post:c57400a7-4aeb-4a1c-b8b2-508a7529b7db">Re: Anyone else worried that gas will affect attendance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone else worried that gas will affect attendance? : I wish my guests had been this organized. There are some people I am going to be really bummed if they can't come. <strong>But I guess the plus side Jelenny is there will be a seat for you AND your FI!
    </strong>Posted by MrsMLRB[/QUOTE]

Yesssssssss

andplusalso you and your fi can actually sit and eat too!
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • Yikes I didn't even think of this. 

I totally understand if people won't be able to come because of the rediculous gas prices.
    September 2011 August Siggy Challenge- Drag Queens!! imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • FI & I were thinking of having a more local RD & not actually rehearsing.  Our venue isn't crazy far, about a half hour away, but driving back and forth two days in a row is a little much for our BP, since most are paying to stay over. Our ceremony is outside so it won't be set up the night before anyway. Also, if we get there as early as I hope the day of, we might be able to quickly run through it before guests come!

The one good thing is hopefully the summer gas prices go down after Labor Day! I can dream right? :)

• I'm actually kind of secretly hoping it does make people stay home. It sounds horrible, but it would really only affect my dad's side of the family, and I feel no attachment to them whatsoever. They're only on the guest list so I didn't start a war.

The biggest downside is for FI and me driving to SC and back for the wedding. :-( But we're saving, saving, saving!
    Anniversary
  • I haven't even given this a thought.  Crap...

As of right now, the majority of our guests are from 2 hours away or less, so they will be driving in.  I don't think it will be an issue, but we do have a couple from out of state, so it may be a little more difficult for them to get here.  If anybody declines because of gas prices, I completely understand.  We have booked our honeymoon and flight, but in case anything happens, we are saving up a little extra!
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2011-weddings_anyone-else-worried-gas-will-affect-attendance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:649Discussion:4caee063-36d8-4444-b353-d5b7f6bc4a87Post:3fd27935-0575-4050-808b-66f63b11b134">Re: Anyone else worried that gas will affect attendance?</a>:
    [QUOTE]hmm when I read this I thought you were speaking to flatulence at first. I have issues. Luckily those flying in have already booked their flights, but I do worry about those driving (EVERYONE has atleast a 30 minute drive)
    Posted by [email protected][/QUOTE]
    HA! Me too. I have thought about it, since a lot of people will come from OOT and my friends don't tend to plan very well. But, I'm not overly worried because I'm just trying to have some hope that the people that are closest to us will plan well and make sure they are here. So I'm just focusing on what I can control, since I have no way of controlling how well other people plan. But, I have verbally given people a heads up that flights to our town & just things in our town in general tend to be pricey.
  • Most of our guests will be driving from 3-4 hours away, but I don't think gas prices would affect their decision too much (I hope).  I do think it will affect people who would need to fly though.  If it were me as a guest, I'd still definitely drive to a wedding, but I would re-think having to fly depending on whose wedding it is.
    Anniversary
  • uhh well..... most of our guests are several hours away. like, we're in atlanta, my extended family is in ohio, and FI's is in the southern tip of florida.
    i wouldn't be suprised if a lot couldn't come.

imageimage
    PS Sig Challenge: Rings
    Sept 2011 Sig Challenge: First Kiss
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards