• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
September 2011 Weddings

No food tasting?

I recently found a gorgeous venue, but they do not offer food tastings? This was a total turn-off for me. Just curioius, do y'all think that's a sign the food isn't great? Seems strange they wouldn't offer that option.

Re: No food tasting?

• i think thats REALLY strange.  did they say why?
  • KOM11KOM11 member
    100 Comments
    I think it is strange that we have to PAY for our food tasting ... but o well. Do you even have that option?
  • WHAT??  that is so RIDIC!  i really dont get how some of these vendors can conduct their business like this.
  • Yeah this would turn me off too.  You are paying them a large sum of money - you should be able to see EXACTLY what you will be getting for that price. 
    Anniversary
  • Eh, our venue doesn't do a free tasting- they host a bridal event once a year that has some of their food served which is free or your can go eat in the restaurant but you have to pay. We had attended a wedding there before and knew the food was good. So I don't find this that surprising.
    Anniversary image
  • There are 2 places that I know of in NJ that do not do tastings. They say that their reputation is good enough. I have been to one of the places for a wedding and the food was very very good.

I personally would not be able to book a place that i do not know what their food tastes like.
  • That seems odd to me.  If you love the place I'd ask for recommendations from past brides to see what they thought.
  • That would turn me off. Food is very important to me (and honestly one of the only things people tend to remember from a wedding) so I want to make sure it's good before I'm commited to serving it to my guests!
  • my caterer offers food tasting but we do have to pick a few dishes, we can't pick all from the menu. luckily they had some great reviews. we were supposed to pay for the tasting but the manager i'm working with waived the cost since we sent in the deposit so early. i would think it's ok that they charge for food tasting, i get it that the cost of food isn't that cheap nowadays but if the place refuses to do it, i would definitely not like that! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    surprise BFP 1/1/12 ~ EDD 9/10/12 ~ M/C 2/2/2012
    thank you, baby angel, for showing us we can DO it!
    appt with RE 11/1/12 ~ "you should take a HPT, your period's due soon" "yeah right"
    whoops! surprise BFP #2 11/2/12! ~ EDD 7/13/13 ~ you gotta stick, lil one!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Definitly agree with all of y'all. It's too bad because it's so pretty but the reviews I read said the food wasn't that great. They also provide cake and I read people were not impressed. I most likely have a different venue that is 'the one' but I wanted back-up just in case and was gonna check into this one!

BTW-My other venue's food tasting is this coming Thursday!! I can't wait. Since we haven't booked yet we have to pay $10 a person but then once we book (most likely we will) they put the money towards the wedding anyway. It's also like a bridal event so you can see how the venue operates-just like yours Mrs.MLRB. Can't wait....hope the food is great!
  • In Response to Re: No food tasting?:
    That would turn me off. Food is very important to me (and honestly one of the only things people tend to remember from a wedding) so I want to make sure it's good before I'm commited to serving it to my guests!
    Posted by leggwilliams
    THIS!!
    Let us know how the tasting goes on Thursday.
  • suze68suze68 member
    100 Comments
    That is silly! Just to brag a bit... our venue does a free bridal tasting event every other month and even though our wedding was more than 15 months away when we booked, they invite us to each one. And each one has a different main menu... I love my venue :)

~Suze
    image Sept 2011 Favorite Registry Item
  • I wouldn't book unless I get to taste it first.  FI is a chef and I'm pretty sure he would freak if they weren't going to let him taste the food.  Hope the tasting goes well on Thurs!
    Hitched! 09.30.11
  • In Response to Re: No food tasting?:
    That seems odd to me.  If you love the place I'd ask for recommendations from past brides to see what they thought.
    Posted by vicki0508

the above is a great idea if you decide to go with this vendor... I'd be upset about no tasting, our caterer is offering us as many as we need to get our menu set.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • One of the venues we are looking at do not offer a tasting because their meals are so intricate to make and they only make in bulk. However, we were told that if we were interested in having the wedding there, we could call up on a day they were already having a function and they would make us little "to go" plates of what that wedding had ordered. Maybe your venue would do something like that for you?

• KOM - we have to pay for a food tasting too!  $26 seriously?  I mean you WANT our business right?

Lindzi - do what my FMIL did - ask around for people who have been married there and feel it out - she did that with the church and got some inside info for us as far as tips and tricks...but agreed odd there is no food tasting.
    image image

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards