• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
September 2011 Weddings

Recipes needed: Christmas breakfast

I just found out that I'll be hosting Christmas breakfast at my place.  Its not a big deal, because it will only be me, H, my mom and dad.  It can only be about an hour, because they are going to Niagara Falls for a few days.

Christmas breakfast is a usually a big deal in my family.  Its our main meal on Christmas.  We always have an egg frittata, muffins, fruit salad, bacon, and various other food.  But, both my sisters are with their SOs' families this Christmas, and my parents and I are a little sad we aren't having a family Christmas, so I wanted to do something different. 

What do you recommend?  Anything you always make for your Christmas breakfast?

Baby boy 7.10.13

Re: Recipes needed: Christmas breakfast

• When I was a kid Christmas breakfast was always Capn Crunch cereal.  It was the only time my father would buy it, lol.

Ever since my son was little I make bacon & eggs or sausage & french toast. Or some sort of combination of all.
    Anniversary
  • H always asks me to make him our 'down-home benedict.'

It's corn casserole on the bottom (to stand in for the english muffin), shredded beef over that (we'll be using leftover pot roast from Christmas Eve, but I've used meat from the crockpot too), a poached egg, and cholula hollandaise.

I can dig up some recipes for you if you'd like.
    image image
  • Send the recipe over!  I'll ask H if he thinks that looks good to him.  Breakfast is at 9 and we have Christmas Eve service at 10, so I want it to be nonlabor intensive in the morning.

Also, this is totally off topic, but I made one of my best friends cry last night.  I didn't mean to.   Earlier in the night she had talked about how her on and off again boyfriend acts like he doesn't want to spend time with her.  Fast forward two hours, we were talking about how guys can be jerks when they're not with the right girl.  I said that H, who could be with me 24/7 used to get sick of hanging out with girls he used to date and was kind of mean to them.  Totally not thinking when I said that, but she started crying.  When she asked my honest opinion, I also said that I don't really like the way that guy treats her, and I think she deserves better.  I think she knows this (and that's why they're on and off).

She said she never thought she would be the type of girl who would be with a guy who treats her poorly.  I have no idea what to say to her...what to do for her.  What would you guys do for your friend?

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • We make egg bake on Christmas morning. My mom always put ham in it, but I don't, because I'm a selfish vegetarian who makes my child suffer...LOL. You mix most of it together the night before & I put it in the oven before we open gifts. It takes about an hour.

I can mostly remember the recipe but don't have it on me. Can post later if anyone wants it.
  • Sounds yummy.  Post it.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • I recommend a quiche.  You can use the prebaked pie crust and even bake it the day before.  Christmas morning just pop it in the oven for a few minutes to take he chill off it.  Does not have to be hot, just not cold.  I have never made this recipe but it looked good.  I would skip the green chilies though and maybe add some lightly cooked broccoli instead.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/yummy-quiche/detail.aspx

September 2011 March Siggy Challenge
    We had a great Wedding Party
    image image
  • H's family makes Egg Bake too! I'm looking forward to trying it for the first time on Sunday. :)

Mandie, here are the components you need:
    Corn Casserole
    1 (8 ounce) container sour cream1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, Drained1 (8.5 ounce) package corn bread mix

Mix all together and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. This can be done the day before. Cut squares out of the casserole, flatten slightly and toast on each side in a hot skillet before serving.

Shredded Beef
    You can do this the day before as well. Just reheat it in the microwave. We'll be using left over pot roast this year from our Christmas Eve dinner, but you can just as easily throw a piece of roast in the crockpot with some beef stock and southwestern seasonings.

Poached Eggs and Cholula Hollandaise

Both of these have to be done around plating time. Bring a large pot of water to a light simmer, the bubbles should just kiss the surface then disappear. Add 3 Tbsp. of white vinegar. Poach the eggs until the whites are set, about 5 minutes.

Here's a good basic hollandaise sauce. I add Cholula and a bit of Tabasco to taste.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/hollandaise-sauce-recipe/index.html

You layer the corn cake on the plate, beef over that, egg, and hollandaise sauce. This is a bit intensive, so maybe not the best idea, but it is tasty!

image image
  • Nicole, I'll keep that recipe in mind.  You haven't steered me wrong yet with your recipes! 

Heather, I don't know why I didn't think about a quiche before.  I love quiches and it would be so easy to make in advance and pop in the oven the morning of. 

Thanks ladies!

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • Sorry, I didn't get back online again yesterday. Here's my mom's recipe:

12 eggs
    12 slices bread without crusts
    1 tbsp. dry mustard
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    2 cups milk
    1 small can evaporated milk
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    cubed ham (optional) I don't know when you'd add this ingredient-my mom left it off the copy she gave me since I'm vegetarian :) but she always used it.

Mix eggs & mustard together. Add cheese, milk and bread and refrigerate overnight.
    In the morning, add evaporated milk & soup and bake at 325 for 1 & 1/2 hours (or I've done 350 to speed it up before)
  • Thanks Dawn!  I found a quiche recipe I'm going to make, but I'll keep your recipe on hand.  Brunch is my favorite meal of the day, and I need to add things to my repertoire besides pancakes and eggs.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • oh, and I realized when I made it that my mom didn't put when to add the cheese, but it's in the morning with the rest of that stuff. It was yummy, definitely keep it in your arsenal!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards