Honeymoon Discussions

Give me your Mexico suggestions!

Hi, I'm  new to the board but longtime lurker! My FI and I are getting serious about booking our November honeymoon (Finally!) and we're seriously considering either Playa Mujeres or Playa del Carmen/Riviera Maya. We're looking for a relaxing time with some entertainment - mostly we want to lounge on the beach, eat great food and relax!! AI is better but willing to hear all suggestions. Thanks in advance!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
205 invited image
160 are ready to party image
45 are missing out image
0 can't find their mailbox image
RSVP Deadline: October 1, 2012

Re: Give me your Mexico suggestions!

• it's so hard to decide! also we prefer adults only. THANK YOU!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    205 invited image
    45 are missing out image
  • RamonaFlowersRamonaFlowers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited May 2012
    I just got back from a few days at Secrets Maroma Beach: it was amazing. I would, with confidence, recommend to anyone.

When we were deciding where to go, it came down between Secrets Maroma Beach and Excellence Playa Murejes. Adults only was incredibly important to us (This is possibly the last major trip we're taking before TTC) ... honestly, judging from the TripAdvisor reviews of both, I don't think we would have been disappointed either way ... really Secrets just happened to be offering a "end of year sale" at the time we were booking and it worked out to be cheaper, so that's why we picked it. Excellence Playa Merejes is still definitely on the "to do" list for a future vacation Smile

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• We are going to secrets silversands in december. Our TA is my old college roommates mom. She highly recommended it. It seems active, but I've read many reviews that the beach is rocky. 

A coworker recommended the Zoetry. It looked AMAZING, but well out of our price range for the time period we are traveling. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks all! I do think the zoetry is out of our budget also, sadly...and sandals maroma is actually sold out for three of the days in the middle of our trip, so that won't work. Heard great things about EPM, though Ive read the beach isn't as nice as other places. We're very big beach people so that's important to us. Oy, this is such a tough decision!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    205 invited image
    45 are missing out image
  • Omg, Zoetry! I'm pretty sure we will never be able to afford that, lol, but I would love that, too!

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Isla Mujeres! It's a small island off the coast of Cancun, and almost all of the resorts there are adults-only... so the crowd on the very small island is all adults!
    We are staying at Palace, which only has 60 rooms, so it's not a jumbo resort.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_give-me-your-mexico-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:46635bc7-b160-44d6-9b19-4e4e8aa6a458Post:9a45096d-feb9-40d6-991b-893622b84887">Re: Give me your Mexico suggestions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just got back from a few days at Secrets Maroma Beach: it was amazing. I would, with confidence, recommend to anyone. When we were deciding where to go, it came down between Secrets Maroma Beach and Excellence Playa Murejes. Adults only was incredibly important to us (This is possibly the last major trip we're taking before TTC) ... honestly, judging from the TripAdvisor reviews of both, I don't think we would have been disappointed either way ... really Secrets just happened to be offering a "end of year sale" at the time we were booking and it worked out to be cheaper, so that's why we picked it. Excellence Playa Merejes is still definitely on the "to do" list for a future vacation
    Posted by RamonaFlowers[/QUOTE]

We were deciding between Secrets Maroma and the Excellence...We booked the Excellence b/c it was cheaper for the time we were looking to book.

We won't be going till November, but we can't wait!
  • This board has been so helpful for me since I've been looking for a HM in PM/RM/PDC, but the forums on Tripadvisor (as well as the reviews there) are also a really good resource. I just discovered the forums on tripadvisor, and you can easily search them for the hotel you are looking for (unlike the knot their search function actually works!).

I've been trying to just stick with reading posts that are w/in a year old so it is still fresh information as to the property.

Right now we are leaning towards the VIM, but the Royal PDC, Excellence CUN,  Excellence PM, Secrets Silversands, and Secrets Capri have all been considered and aren't ruled out.

• hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    DItto on the difference btwn Secrets Maroma and EPM.. We debated btwn the two and ended up with Maroma.  Our TA said it'd be a little more lively than EPM.

Secrets Capri is typically less expensive and just as nice.  I personally wouldn't go to Secrets Silversands. My BIL/SIL went a few months ago and spend time at all 3 Riveria-area Secrets and said this by far was the worse, especially the beach.

Also consider Iberostar Grand Paraiso! There are several iberostar hotels on the resort, but the Grand Paraiso is adults only and gorgeoues! plus if you get board there you have access to the other hotels on site.
  • We just booked Zoetry this week for our August HM!  Our travel agent found a great deal for $4,200 including airfair, room for 4 nights, and private luxury transfers to and from the airport.  The price also includes one private sunset catamaran sail! 

There are great deals always so keep on looking if you have the time!
  • Playa Del Carmen is amazing. Lots of great suggestions on here for resorts. I would try to go for at least 6 nights if you can. There is TONS to do down there.

• girlinchicagogirlinchicago member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Are you staying in an upgraded room Chiky? Flying business class? That price seems very high to me for 4 nights. FWIW, the transfers are always included at Zoetry as is the cat cruise for the RM location. I priced 4 nights for 2 in Aug and am finding around 1300 to 1400pp, far under what you were quoted.
    Photobucket Vacation Vacation
  • I know you didn't ask about Cancun, but that's what I'd suggest.  DH and I just went in February and it was amazing.  We stayed at the Sun Palace.  You can visit any of the other Palace Resorts and have lunch or dinner for free, use the pool, drink, etc.  We took a day trip to the Isle de Mujeres and visited the Palace resort over there too.  
  • We are going to Cozumel. Its the number one honeymoon spot in mexico. Tho you can still go explore other places like the Mayan ruins. And there are bars to go to and have fun. It's best for just a chill spot. To relax on the beach. It's also got the second largest reef in the world if you like to snorkel.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We are going to Zoetry.  We will be there for 9 days and including hotel, flights, the Art of Love Honeymoon Package, + private land transfers with champagne and strawberries, our package was about $5600.  We have a deluxe suite with a jacuzzi, its own private pool, beachfront view, and king bed. if you are there for a week, you get extensive upgrades as part of their complimentary honeymoon package (90min couples massage, a special dinner on the beach, private catamaran sail, lots of free gifts, etc. - the list goes on and on and on and on). We did our research and Zoetry is where (it seems) like you can get the highest luxury for your $$.  We are going in August and if you have any questions I would be happy to help!! The trip to Zoetry became MUCH more affordable when we bundled our hotel + flight together, so it might be worth looking into if you are interested! We also booked at the perfect time when flights were cheap and the rooms were on sale (we booked in January for our end of july/early August honeymoon). 

the previous posters price for 4 days at Zoetry seems really high to me for only being there 4 days, so definitely do your research and check out different travel sites, etc. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_give-me-your-mexico-suggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:46635bc7-b160-44d6-9b19-4e4e8aa6a458Post:141ff34e-c524-4283-8364-d35c9690cff9">Re:Give me your Mexico suggestions!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you staying in an upgraded room Chiky? Flying business class? That price seems very high to me for 4 nights. FWIW, the transfers are always included at Zoetry as is the cat cruise for the RM location. I priced 4 nights for 2 in Aug and am finding around 1300 to 1400pp, far under what you were quoted.
    Posted by girlinchicago[/QUOTE]

Yes we were upgraded! We're flying coach but we have the lovers suite with the private plunge pool and etc. I would have gone for an extended amount of days to get the HM package included but becuase of our schedules we're not able to :( for Mexico it did seem high but we went with it anyways becuase in the caribbean in Antigua we were looking around the same price but didn't include the extras...
  • I recently returned from  The Valentin Imperial Maya...it was amazing and I can not come up with one bad thing to say about the place. The grounds were immaculate, service was immpecable, and the beaches were amazing also.

While on our Honeymoon we met several couples who had stayed at diffrent resorts in the area, many were on their second and third returning trip to the VMI. The food there is great, I  personally recommend the Italian and French resturants.  As far a entertainment and nightlife there is a ton to do. Hope this was helpful, Good luck!

https://www.facebook.com/valentinmaya
    http://www.valentinmaya.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards