Connecticut

Hair/Make-up Question (inspired by post below)

I didn't want to take over the Janice post below but I was just curious....
Kim and SillyGoose (my fellow long engagement girls) were talking about people already being booked for their date. I thought I had sooo much time, only because I couldn't imagine doing a trial now, so far in advance.
But, apparently I was wrong. So when you book this far in advance, what's the process? Trial now? or book now, trial later?
 Is the point of the trial to decide if you want to book them OR is the point of the trial to decide what look you want to go with on your wedding date?
TIA!

Re: Hair/Make-up Question (inspired by post below)

• edited December 2011
    I booked about a year prior and did my trial when I booked.  (that's mostly because I originally booked an artist before doing a trial, and it was a disaster... ended up losing my money and having to find someone new.  She isn't one of the top talked about people on the CT forum though.).   I felt comfortable knowing that my final makeup artist is talented enough to make any changes that day that I might want... although if I had changed the style of makeup I wanted drastically from my trial, I would probably go back for another one.  Dana Bartone is doing my makeup.  I think the number one thing is to ask opinions of other knotties.  If you're going with someone that is very highly regarded on here, you know they're going to be skilled enough to do what you want.  I know several girls that booked and did their trials later because they were confident in the artists abilities.  If you're going with someone not so well known, I'd definitely do a trial first before booking.  I was skittish after the first experience, so I did mine right away.  Dana took very detailed notes on what we did, so I'm sure she'll be able to recreate it on the day.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011

I think it depends on who you go with and if you are getting married during wedding season. The popular makeup/hair people need at least one year in advance to book. I just had my trials last Sat and booked the same day. I'm using www.atouchofcolormakeup.com (She's not well know on TK but my HS friend referred her). I'm getting married on a Friday as oppose to a Saturday so a lot of stylist/makeup artists I called are free that day.

• jmestylejmestyle member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I booked Naomi over a year in advance and had my makeup trial a year in advance. Hair stylist should be booked asap as well but the trial can wait till 2 months before the wedding to give your hair time to grow
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_hairmake-up-question-inspired-post-below?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:06fe3636-b5e1-43a2-84b3-0d4715aebeb0Post:511c5c14-78b9-49e3-ae9b-1fe5002e8909">Re: Hair/Make-up Question (inspired by post below)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it depends on who you go with and if you are getting married during wedding season. The popular makeup/hair people need at least one year in advance to book. I just had my trials last Sat and booked the same day. I'm using <a href="http://www.atouchofcolormakeup.com" rel="nofollow">www.atouchofcolormakeup.com</a> (She's not well know on TK but my HS friend referred her). I'm getting married on a Friday as oppose to a Saturday so a lot of stylist/makeup artists I called are free that day.
    Posted by christikao[/QUOTE]

Very good point Christi!!!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I also agree with Christi!!!

I know for my girls & I....it was a no brainer! I am extremely tight with my hairstylist and all the other stylists from my salon! We actually talk about it ALL the time (since I am there so much)! I stopped by last Friday, and my stylist for the wedding walked right over, gave me a kiss and started playing with my hair! They are amazing! They already have the day marked down, as well as closing the salon down for a portion of the morning so all of us can get pretty!

If you know someone & are comfortable with them--BOOK THEM now! I have booked almost all my vendors extremely early, but I feel so much better that it is booked and I do not have to worry about people not being available.

I don't think I will really start trails and all that until the 6 month mark (even though they all know what I want and throw ideas out there all the time!!) ;-) LOVE THEM!!!

GL & HTH!
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I should get moving,I have no clue even what I want to do with my hair haha! I just soak up all the wonderful knowledge from you ladies.... but really I needs to start makin moves of my own

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    planning bio
  • Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!

I'm definitely torn between contacting some of the highly recommended vendors on here or going with my local salon (which would also save money since they're so close and wouldn't need to come to the house).  

It's a little stressful to figure out so far in advance how many I would need to book the appointment for. I guess I'll send out an email to everyone, asking if they'd be interested.  Based on what I've seen, it looks like about $120-$150 per person (for hair/makeup).

Hmmm this is why I convinced myself I still had about 6 months to figure this all out. 
  • edited December 2011
    I feel  your pain Vanessa! I thought I had plenty of time too. I thought I'd just start contacting people to get an idea so I can bring it up to my bridesmaids when we have a "year before the wedding get-together." The people i contacted are either booked; or stated they were booking quickly for summer 2011. 

As far as the trial, I'm glad you brought this topic up :) I was wondering the same thing too. The people I contacted offered to do a trial prior to booking. I'm a little worried doing a trial a full year in advance. but since I am  so up in the air with who to use I think I am going to book a trial with one person and if I love it, book. I have really sensitive skin so I kind of want to try them out first for that reason as well. Even stuff that is hypoallergenic makes me break out and get real blotchy. Unfortunately I will probably want to pin down my look a few months before too. Maybe I'll do that and time it well with my shower or bachelorette so it's not a complete waste. 

Good luck!
    Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards