Connecticut

Vendor Help/Suggestions

need help with choosing 2 vendors - recent and soon to be brides please help!
1. Photographer - I like artsy/photojournalistic style basically a little bit of everything. But our biggest criteria would be that we own the rights to our pictures not the photographer.

2. DJ- We love to dance! We need a DJ that does not make you do the YMCA or uses props. We don't need the help to dance.

Any suggestions are very helpful! Thanks everyone :)

Re: Vendor Help/Suggestions

• Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I LOVED LOVED LOVED our vendors:

Photographer: Studio1923.  Jerome and Jen are absolutely amazing.
    http://www.studio1923.com/

DJ: After Hours DJ (out of Enfield, CT but they'll meet you somewhere else if it's more convenient).  Peter was amazing!  Nobody left the dance floor the whole night.  They CAN do the whole YMCA/prop thing but that's something I didn't want either.  You fill out a form, letting them know what dances you want (if any).  Peter definitely matched my style perfectly and was so much fun to work with. 
    http://www.afterhoursdj.com/
  • edited December 2011
    Definitely check out Claudia at Fabuluxe Photos. You get the rights to your photos and she has the style you are looking for. www.fabuluxephotos.com

DJ - I'm using DJ Ruwells. He's young on trend, and knows his music. Plus, he's not some cheesy DJ. I did not want a cheesy DJ. www.djruwells.com
  • edited December 2011
    Photographer: Highly recommend our Trash the Dress photog. http://photologystudios.com/. Their wedding package starts at $2000 with 3 shooters for day of and including engagement session. If you scroll down you will find my post with link to my TTD session. I'm not able to recommed our wedding photog since he does commercial photography and only did it for us as a friend. 

DJ: Music in Motion. DH's two older sisters and us used Mike the owner for our weddings. He is also going to be djing at my cousin's wedding in Oct. DH is very particular when it comes to music and Mike played every single songs in the order DH wanted at our wedding. Also if you are thinking about getting uplighting, they do an awesome job! 
  • edited December 2011
    Photog: John LoConte, amazing photos, great to work with, own all the rights. www.johnlophoto.com

DJ: Action DJ http://actiondj.9f.com his website isn't much to rave about but our dance floor was full all night & he's very reasonably priced.
    Pregnancy Ticker Photobucket
  • gem6240gem6240 member
    10 Comments
    edited December 2011
    Photography- Hanlon photography- We LOVE Angela....Very photojournalistic and you have the rights to your photos.  

DJ- DJ international- Great DJ and very reasonably priced
  • edited December 2011

DJ MELEE- Jason Palermo- He is amazing and his prices can not be beat!!!

imageAnniversary Vacation
  • Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My 2 vendors have been mentioned.  Photographer: Studio 1923 and DJ: DJ Melee
  • edited December 2011
    Photographer - HK Photography - Hubert and Alka are great to work with and they take amazing photos.  They're also very reasonably priced and give you full rights to your photos.
    http://hk-photography.com/

DJ - DJ Melee (Jason Palermo) - Jason did a great job at our wedding.  He really knows music (all genres) and knew just what to play to get everyone out on the dance floor and keep them out there (it was an afternoon reception, so this was a big plus!).  He also did an amazing job with our custom reception entrances (each group walked in to a snippet of a different song).  He is definitely not cheesy and doesn't do props.  I think he will do group dances if you request them, but we didn't want that at our wedding, so it worked out great.
    http://www.musicbymelee.com/Weddings.html
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Photog : Mia Paige Photography (www.miapaigephotography.com) great prices and you will own the rights to your photos
    DJ: DJ Melee - like many other CT knotties, I went with DJ Melee becuase of his excellent reputation and unbeatable prices! Oh, and with regards to that YMCA thing....I had the same concerns when I met with him, and he assured me that he will adhere to my strict policy of NO group dances! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_vendor-helpsuggestions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:21500e57-1e34-4b85-9ff1-4d9a56a71efePost:88c79c17-d163-45e6-b1e9-bfe46a3551e3">Re: Vendor Help/Suggestions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Photographer - HK Photography - Hubert and Alka are great to work with and they take amazing photos.  They're also very reasonably priced and give you full rights to your photos. <a href="http://hk-photography.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://hk-photography.com/</a> DJ - DJ Melee (Jason Palermo) - Jason did a great job at our wedding.  He really knows music (all genres) and knew just what to play to get everyone out on the dance floor and keep them out there (it was an afternoon reception, so this was a big plus!).  He also did an amazing job with our custom reception entrances (each group walked in to a snippet of a different song).  He is definitely not cheesy and doesn't do props.  I think he will do group dances if you request them, but we didn't want that at our wedding, so it worked out great. <a href="http://www.musicbymelee.com/Weddings.html" rel='nofollow'>http://www.musicbymelee.com/Weddings.html</a>
    Posted by sardough28[/QUOTE]

DITTO HK Photography!!!! They are amazing, and so reasonably priced! So professional, yet fun and energtic!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • cgbabe229cgbabe229 member
    100 Comments
    edited December 2011
    Photography - Roger's Photography - absolutely amazing! Very willing to work with what you want and fit your style perfectly! (rogersphoto.com)

DJ - Upbeat DJ - Greg and Patrick are also great to work with.  We have seen them in action many times now and just loved them because they made things really fun.  Definitely worth checking out! (upbeatdjllc.com)
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Ditto on HK Photography... one thing to keep in mind with any of these photographers is that 99.9% of them give you full rights to the photographs, but also keep the rights themselves.  I honestly don't know of any photographer that does not retain their own rights to the pictures they've photographed.

Our DJ was Jim from Dance to the Music.  He's one of the owners.  He was amazing to work with and completely tailored the music to our tastes.  Very reasonably priced too.

imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • rswan412rswan412 member
    500 Comments
    edited December 2011
    Our DJ is DJ Melee....ditto to what all PP have said, though I haven't gotten to my day yet :)

Photographer- AE Stelzer Photography- she's in her first season of weddings but is phenomenal and at a great price. She's def photojournalistic, you can check out her website to see her style! Love her!
  • edited December 2011
    Photographer: Rebecca Hansen Weddings... Its a husband/wife team out of Boston, they are AMAZING! Such great people to work with and I love our photographs. Rebecca has such an amazing artistic eye. All packages include full picture rights and an album. 

DJ: Entertainment Unlimited of New England. Our DJ Brett had everyone up and dancing all night. It was AMAZING!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    planning bio
  • calindicalindi member
    5000 Comments Second Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Photographer: Alexis Stein Photography.  We are SO DARN excited to have them!  It's a soon-to-be husband and wife team (they're getting married in October) and they're each phenomenol.  They've been shooting for over 10 years each professionally - Alexis has always done weddings, and Keith was a music and event photographer and has had shots in Rolling Stone and other big name publications (that I can't remember off hand).  Truly fantastic photographers!  I've been an artist for years, so I tend to look for things like color, composition, light, balance, depth in photos.  One piece of advice - always ask to see a complete wedding, since anyone can get 1-2 good shots but you want to make sure the photographer is consistently good.  There are many, of varying price points and styles, but there's also quite a few who got lucky with a few shots and their full weddings look rather amateur.  Alexis Stein Photo was the first to truly impress me that was within our budget.

DJ:  DJ Melee, like others.  We were just so comfortable with him, he seems truly knowledgable and responsible (like you, I don't want a bat mitzvah - I want a classy grown-up wedding!), and his prices can't be beat.

Anniversary

• cdbishopcdbishop member
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments
    edited December 2011
    Photographer: Brooke Allison Photography.  She is great and I love her style.

We are also using DJ Melee.  We actually went to a wedding he did this past Saturday and he was just as great as I had hoped.  Got me even more excited for our wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    We're using David Apuzzo, He doesn't advertise much, works by word of mouth mostly but he's very crative and does all kinds of shoots! Not just weddings! http://www.davidapuzzo.com/

He also has a bunch of packages and allows you to buy the rights to your photos! That was big for me! I hate that some photographers make you leave their watermark ect in your photos after all its your weddings! Not theres! Obviously they deserve credit and the publicity is good in some forums but in the end. I want my photos, with me, with unlimited ability to print/share!
  • edited December 2011
    thank you for all the suggestions ladies! You make wedding planning so easy (sigh) well it feels like having a wedding planner - kudos to all of you and for all of your help!! Thanks :)
  • edited December 2011
    Photographer: Crista Acosta: Package included 8+ hours of coverage with 2 photographers,engagement session, rights to photos on CD, and album. Crista is an AMAZING artist! 

DJ: Aardvark Audio.  Ron and Christy are amazing! There were no weird moments and Ron does not use props and uses the appropriate amount of commentating and just lets everyone dance and enjoy themselves. They included all of our must haves and kept strictly to our do not play list.  Christy makes sure that everything is passed by the bride before they do anything---my family was BEGGING for the electric slide (don't ask-It was on my DO NOT PLAY list) but they really wanted it, so Christy came up to me and said she has said no, but they were asking. She waited for my executive decision before anything.  They ROCK!! Ron is also a JOP if you need an officiant! :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Photographer: Carla Ten Eyck Photography. She is awesome!
  • calindicalindi member
    5000 Comments Second Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I forgot to mention - Alexis Stein Photo does not watermark their photos, and gives you all pictures with full rights.  They do retain rights to publish on their blog, website, etc. but have been very accomodating in our wish that they get written permission before using our photos (specifically of my FI, as he will be in his Marine uniform and needs to get approval of any public photos).

Anniversary

• kate212kate212 member
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    edited December 2011
    Mia Paige Photography- has done our Epics and will do our wedding

DJ International- can't speak from experience, but we've booked him for our wedding.

Both of these vendors are very reasonably priced if your budget is a factor.

Good luck!
  • jacki8788jacki8788 member
    100 Comments
    edited December 2011
    photographer: Tim Brown for TAB Photographic. He doesn't advertise much but has an awesome photojournalistic style, and was willing to work with our budget. We actually have our e-pics tomorrow, I can't wait to see how they turn out! He's been great to work with so far.
    www.tabphotographic.com

DJ: like a bunch of other girls, we also booked DJ Melee. great balance of quality & value! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards