Honeymoon Discussions

How badly will the oil spill affect the Carribean?

How badly will the oil spill affect the Carribean? I know that this probably sounds really ignorant, but I have read a million different things from different people. We are planning to go on a honeymoon in the middle of Oct 2010. Originally we were going to go on a cruise from Tampa to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. But, after the oil spill I am not sure how things will be. I tried calling the cruise line last night and they said they have yet to reroute a cruise yet. So I am just really confused about what to do. I would like to go snorkeling, but obviously if there is oil everywhere it is probably not possible. Any advice or insights?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How badly will the oil spill affect the Carribean?

• Cozumel should definitely be fine as the oil is moving northward and it is way south of the spill. Not sure about the islands though.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • tampa will probably have some but the current of the gulf goes just south of FL and into the atlantic so i doubt any caribbean island will be effected.

• i would check with the cruise line to see what happens IF in Oct (after hurricane season) there is oil being reported in the areas on your cruise.  will they give you your money back if you want it?  will they reroute the trip?  call and make your decision based on their feedback.  that is what i am doing with our resort.
  • There is no way that we can answer that.  Shauni's suggestion is a good one- if you have your heart set on a Caribbean cruise, find out what the company would do if oil interfered in the original itinerary and be sure to get trip insurance.  Since nothing like this has ever happened in this area before, it's impossible to discern for sure what the situation will be like by October.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • i live in florida, and we have not seen any oil whatsoever. the beaches in tampa are absolutely gorgeous right now.

and, i know that if you do want to risk it, many hotels here are offering HUGE discounts for booking with them.
  • Honestly the oil spill is pretty much only contained to the Gulf right now. Someone made a good point about hurricane season which can be very unpredictable, but the rough seas could break up the oil too.  No one knows what the future of this oil spill are going to be but in my professional opinion the Caribbean should remain fairly untouched.  (I am spending a lot of my time at work dealing with the spill)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards