Connecticut

churches near Groton CT

Hi brides! 

I'm planning on getting married at the Branford House in Groton and I'm hung up on having a church ceremony. Being a transplant to the state I have no idea where to find a beautiful church in the area. I'm not catholic and those churches are usually the most beautiful. Anyone get married in the area or know of any nice churches?

Thanks!

Re: churches near Groton CT

• Jessie42613Jessie42613 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2012
    I say this as nicely as possible but if you're not Catholic and if your FI isn't Catholic you can't get married in a Catholic Church and it would be inappropriate to try. Churches are a place of worship, not backdrops for pretty pictures. Do either you or your FI practice a certain religion? I'm pretty familiar with the area (and I'm also a Branford House bride!!). I don't know all the churches around here but maybe I can help :)
  • Ditto PP. If you practice a certain faith, we can certainly help you find a church in the area. But churches shouldn't be used just for pretty pictures. 
  • How big is your guest list?  My grandmother went to Poquonnock Bridge Baptist Church for most of her life. I think it's beautiful, it is probably 150 years old, but it is quaint compared to other churches in the area. It's also close (maybe 5 miles) from Branford House. here's their website: http://www.pbbcgroton.org/

Reverend Claudine is a doll, she still sees my grandmother every week even though she's living in a convalescent home now. She also baptised a couple of my nieces and nephews, even though my brother and sister-in-law aren't religious at all. I think as long as it's a christian ceremony they'd let you use the church.

I always wanted to get married in that church, but my fiance is catholic, so we're getting married in our local parish.

good luck!

image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Woww guys, chiill. 

I am a non denominational christian who wants to spare my wedding guests from having to drive from my church which is an hour and a half away to the reception site. I have an officiant who is ready and willing  and my reception site offers on site ceremonies, however I prefer to have it in a church for religious reasons. I did not say I was intending on contacting the catholic churches, It was more so to say they were not an option. I would prefer not to have my wedding at a dumpy church, especially if it isn't the church I normally attend. In addition, I need a church capable of fitting 200 guests. Thanks for your suggestion Maggieandrey! Thats all I needed...
  • Check out http://www.pvcpp.org It is a non denominational church. It is my home church when I visit my parents in Groton.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards