Honeymoon Discussions

Need some encouragement

I have had the hardest time finding a honeymoon that will work for my FI and me. I am super adventurous, have traveled the world and my dream honeymoon is a mediterranean cruise, but FI has never been out of the country and says we need baby steps before Europe.

We went through many weeks of proposed and rejected itineraries and I finally found out why he was pushing back. He is worried about concrete things like where his food is coming from. I'm astonished. I forget what it's like to not have traveled. So...I suggested a caribbean cruise instead so my wanderlustful desire to see lots of places could be fulfilled while his need for stability would be satisfied as well.

After doing tons of research, we finally decided on the perfect itinerary: straightforward enough for him, exotic enough for me. 7-night cruise from San Juan, Puerto Rico visiting the southern tropical ports of Barbados, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Kitts and St. Lucia. What do you think?

I feel weird though. I think it's because I worked so darn hard to get this settled and I have spent all the energy I should have spent being excited about somewhere on convincing my homebody FI to leave the house. Please give me some encouragement. Do our plans seem cool enough to tell my friends and family about? Do you think it's a good plan? Wow I sound so whiny.

CN: Finally chose a honeymoon but feeling anti-climactic. Help.

Re: Need some encouragement

• I actually looked at that cruise too. I think it sounds great.

I know you're felling frustrated, but try and remember that a lot of the girls on here can't afford a honeymoon at all. The mere fact that you get to go anywhere as newlyweds with your husband should be exciting enough.

I've been researching our delayed honeymoon for about a year now. We're finally narrowing it down (H has been pushing back on the HM too for various reasons) and now that we're close to finally booking, I'm finding myself less enthusiastic about the trip, because I've "fought" him over it so much.

You want yourself and FI to be happy on this vacation. You want to be married on this vacation. Those are really the important aspects.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_need-some-encouragement?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:5f8ac14a-6f17-479f-9691-9bbee507c36aPost:9d78327e-fcd0-4a79-a2ca-6676ab581b7c">Re: Need some encouragement</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually looked at that cruise too. I think it sounds great.   <strong>I know you're felling frustrated, but try and remember that a lot of the girls on here can't afford a honeymoon at all. The mere fact that you get to go anywhere as newlyweds with your husband should be exciting enough.</strong> I've been researching our delayed honeymoon for about a year now. We're finally narrowing it down (H has been pushing back on the HM too for various reasons) and now that we're close to finally booking, I'm finding myself less enthusiastic about the trip, because I've "fought" him over it so much.   <strong>You want yourself and FI to be happy on this vacation. You want to be married on this vacation. Those are really the important aspects.</strong>
    Posted by jelenybeany[/QUOTE]

<div>Ditto this. It sounds like a wonderful HM to me! FI and I are looking at AIs in Mexico and a coworker butted in about how that's so boring and why don't we be adventurous and explore? Know what I told him? We're happy with it and he can't not like it all he wants because he won't be there! A lot of people don't get a HM at all so just choose something that will make you and your FI happy. =) Then go enjoy yourselves!</div>
  • thank you for the reminder of what is really important. that is exactly what i needed.
  • As long as your HM sounds cool and exciting to you, who really cares what anyone else thinks.

I would stop worrying about what others may think and just relish the fact that your HM is booked and you and your soon to be H will be going on an exciting adventure together.

• Sounds wonderful. And to give you an upside to not getting to go to Europe, I've been and we talked about going for a honeymoon, but you know what? Europe is work. There's all sorts of sights to see, lots of walking, dealing with crowds, and very little "down time". It wouldn't be as relaxing of a honeymoon, and I feel like that's probably going to be necessary after a wedding.

So, a cruise will be a great way to relax and ease your way into a more "adventurous" trip down the line.
    Items for sale & Detroit vendor Reviews:
    www.detroitwedding.weebly.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_need-some-encouragement?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:5f8ac14a-6f17-479f-9691-9bbee507c36aPost:4120e941-77bb-4791-9362-601e18ef643e">Re: Need some encouragement</a>:
    [QUOTE]As long as your HM sounds cool and exciting to you, who really cares what anyone else thinks. I would stop worrying about what others may think and just relish the fact that your HM is booked and you and your soon to be H will be going on an exciting adventure together.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

This.  Are your friends and family going on the trip? Obviously no.  It's going to be you and your newlywed husband.  You need to plan a trip that you can both be excited about and it sounds like a cruise is the answer in this case. Enjoy
  • Thanks so much ladies. I appreciate the kind words. @hz, my mom just said the same thing about 'are they going with you?' great point! and @meegs, you're right that it's work. good reminder!
  • I will add that I had a lot of mixed feelings before we booked our trip.  As soon as we booked though, I was instantly excited.  Since the decision is made and I am done thinking about it, the excitement is fully setting in. I can't wait!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have been on this cruise and had a GREAT time!
  • Ditto pp's this trip is for you and your FI not anyone else, and if this is something that you're both looking forward to, then you'll have an amazing time. Heck it'll be your HM you'll be on cloud 9!

I've been on 3 cruises and my H has been on 7 and it's one of our favorite ways to travel! He's been on 5 eastern caribbean, 1 western, and 1 southern, and I've been on 2 western and 1 southern and hands down the southern caribbean itinerary out of San Juan was both of our favorite! You're going to have an amazing trip!
  • I think it sounds like a very exciting trip, and you'll get to see lots of new places! And the fact of the matter is, it's your honeymoon, you guys will have a fantastic time no matter where  you go! Smile
  • thank you all so much. i love hearing such great direct feedback, not only about the itinerary but also about mixed feelings being ok/normal :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards