Connecticut

cake serving set

i really that i haven't thought of this detail yet, but i don't want to have BUY a set.  Does anyone know where I can get one cheap or is it ok to use a kitchen knife (and put a ribbon on it?)

Re: cake serving set

• Vanessa630Vanessa630 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you having a shower? Sometimes guests will give you a set as a present. 
    Otherwise, Walmart has a wedding section (or Michaels, if you have a coupon)

• SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pp.. a lot of times the toasting flutes and cake knife server set are gifted to you at your shower because people know you'll need them for the wedding. We registered for ours at Bed, Bath, & Beyond and got them as gifts at my bridal shower.

If you'd like a cheaper set, check out Michaels or AC Moore in their wedding sections and go with a coupon to save even more money. You can also check out sites like Exclusively Weddings or Oriental Trading. They have a ton of wedding stuff that's no where near as pricey.

Also, your venue should have toasting flutes and knife server sets for you to use if you never end up receiving a set as a gift or purchasing one on your own. HTH!
  • laure143cmmlaure143cmm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_cake-serving-set?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:7110dff8-6f68-4a73-a4af-78b198da9796Post:e373d280-4230-42fc-849c-cadc3f41e487">Re: cake serving set</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you having a shower? Sometimes guests will give you a set as a present.  <strong>Otherwise, Walmart has a wedding section</strong> (or Michaels, if you have a coupon)
    Posted by Vanessa630[/QUOTE]

I think it depends if you are in the remodeled Walmarts because their wedding sections are more oragnized then the original Walmarts. Otherwise I do agree that Walmart has quite a few things for your wedding that don't have that cheap Walmart look to them. If i don't get a cake serving set as a gift, I am def going to Walmart.
  • edited December 2011
    I registered for mine as well at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. The Lenox set was only 39.99 and if no one buys it you can always use a 20% of coupon that they always send out. Good Luck :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    like everyone is saying, you can register for it and usually the bridal party gives you gifts like the server and the guest book and unity candle etc....
  • Vikki2payVikki2pay member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got mine as a gift from my MOH for my shower.
  • edited December 2011
    I registered for ours at Macy's--mostly because I didn't want someone to just buy me a random one. (That makes me sound terrible, but I want it to be a nice one that we can use forever). 
    But if it doesn't matter to you, I would suggest just telling your reception venue that you need them to provide a knife for you. 
    Anniversary
  • reedelm4986reedelm4986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was in the same boat as you.  I did not want to spend a lot of money on a cake sutting set that I was only going to use once.  All of the ones that you find in wedding sections I would not want as my usual set of serving utensils. 

What I ended up doing was buying a set from target.com simmilar to this one for $9.99:

target.com

The set fit into our night seamlessly and I now use it when I serve cake in my house.  They do not look like out of place like may of the ones that have hearts, or other decorations do.

I hope that helps you
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards