Honeymoon Discussions

Trip insurance for Riviera Maya - necessary?

I'm booking the Excellence Playa Mujeres from Oct 31 - Nov 6, and already spending a bit more than we intended.  Trip insurance is an additional 220, would you all recommend getting it?  I know there is a *chance* of hurricanes, but from everything I've read the chances are slim.
Anyone travelling to the same area as me ... would love to hear if you're getting insurance or not!

Re: Trip insurance for Riviera Maya - necessary?

• Travel insurance is not just if the weather is bad. Most travel insurance covers costs to replace items if your luggage is lost (but you need receipts of the items in the luggage to recoup costs), and certain coverage if you get sick and need to go to the hospital. Remember, foreign countries do not accept US health insurance.

And if the weather is bad and you are stuck in Mexico, without insurance you would have to pay out of pocket for more nights at a hotel.

Its better to be safe than sorry. I would shell out the additional $220 for peace of mind.
  • travel insurance is very important. a pp noted, it covers many things that you wouldn't neccesarily think of. def get it.
  • edited August 2010
    We went ahead and got the insurance because we figured...this is our honeymoon, and we don't want any glitches that we could possibly avoid, so whatever we could do to protect ourselves, we did.  Also, our trip insurance covers us if the cost of the trip goes down...in that case, we would get a refund for the difference.  Can't beat that!
    Anniversary
  • We are going to the Riviera Maya from 10/4-10/14 and got trip insurance. Better to be safe than sorry.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • If the price is what is bothering you, shop around for it.  A lot of different companies sell it, but there is probably a clause that indicates you have to purchase it within xx number of days after you've booked the trip.  That's what I was told when I bought the travel insurance for my cruise.
  • Definitely get trip insurance. My grandmother died on our wedding day, and the funeral was planned for when we were supposed to be on our honeymoon. Long story short, we went on the honeymoon anyway, but it was so comforting to know that we could cancel at the very last minute if we had to.
    imageimageimage
  • if it's worth it or not depends on what it covers!!
    i buy my trip insurance from insuremytrip.com b/c it allows you to compare different policies side by side.

• Kristin - how awful, I'm SO sorry!!

OP- I'd definitely recommend insurance.  We're going to Secrets Maroma Oct 18-25 and purchased it.  We can change/get credit for our trip for any reason, weather or other, if we decide to change.  Like pp's said, better safe than sorry!!
  • I'd say trip insurance is always a must.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_trip-insurance-riviera-maya-necessary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:677e83b4-1122-49f2-90ff-406b6b68ae54Post:9eb30268-de5e-4394-8d88-d5f63123103e">Re: Trip insurance for Riviera Maya - necessary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Kristin - how awful, I'm SO sorry!!</strong> OP- I'd definitely recommend insurance.  We're going to Secrets Maroma Oct 18-25 and purchased it.  We can change/get credit for our trip for any reason, weather or other, if we decide to change.  Like pp's said, better safe than sorry!!
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

Thanks - I actually didn't know until the next day, otherwise it would have been terrible. I only mention it here as a case in point why trip insurance is a good thing!
    imageimageimage
  • I would get it.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards