Connecticut

I have to stop watching the news...

Anyone else a little concerned about this hurricane?
Visit The Knot! Visit Connecticut.Weddings.com Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: I have to stop watching the news...

• edited December 2011
    I am concerned, too. I haven't had time to watch the news since I've been in my office, but I keep checking the weather websites. I've lived in the northeast all my life so I'm not really sure how to prepare for a hurricane. I went to Stop n Shop on my lunch break to get bottled water and stock up on food, and it was SOO crowded. My advice - get to the grocery store sooner, rather than later!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_stop-watching-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:d67dd34b-da89-4c19-9d74-9055cc69844dPost:950f5ac1-eee4-44a9-bb49-7c8209c5aaa3">Re: I have to stop watching the news...</a>:
    [QUOTE] I've lived in the northeast all my life so I'm not really sure how to prepare for a hurricane. Posted by kfesta[/QUOTE]

Same here... I remember Hurrican Gloria, but only a little bit. Now that I live with my fiance and not with my parents, it's the first time I've actually had to think about stocking up on food and water.

My plan was to go to Stop and Shop tomorrow, but maybe I should suck it up and go now... Eek!
    Visit The Knot! Visit Connecticut.Weddings.com Visit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, I did it a few days ago since it was headed straight towards Miami, so let me give you the overview of how you should prepare now that it's heading towards you!

Lots of drinking water - the first thing that gets ruined is potable water, so don't trust your faucets for drinking (even with Brita or other filtration) for a few days after the storm!  You can either buy lots of bottled water or do like my parents like to do - buy a brand new clean trash can, clean it out more, and fill it with water and cover it.  You can then scoop out water with the Brita to filter it more, but it's less expensive than buying tons of bottled water.  You should plan at least 2 gallons per person, 1 gallon for a dog.

Non-perishable foods that you can eat without heating up or using a product (like milk) that would have to be refrigerated.  Dried fruits, granola bars, cans of fruit & beans, tuna fish, etc. are all great options.  I keep those items in a "Hurricane box" that is always in a safe place since I don't need to replace them.  You can also buy things right before the storm that don't need to be refrigerated, like peanut butter, bananas, and bread.  Make sure you have enough to eat for 2-3 days for all the people and animals in the house.

Buy flashlights & batteries for all the flashlights - make sure they work!  Buy candles & lighters.  If you have a gas grill, make sure you have a full tank of propane since that might be your only way to cook things if the power goes out for a few days.  Also, make sure your cars are fully tanked up in case you have to evacuate or if the gas distribution lines are down for a few days so you can get around. 

Buy Duct tape and masking tape - use the masking tape to draw a grid pattern across windows to prevent them from smashing.  It doesn't mean they won't break, but it'll probably prevent a shower of glass if something strikes the window.  The Duct tape is for solving problems that might pop up - injuries, damage, etc.  Duct tape is awesome.

Bring in all lose items from outside that could potentially blow around or be damaged.  Furniture, decorations, potted plants, etc. should be put in a garage, shed, or indoors - I usually deposit this stuff in my guest room and guest bathroom's shower.

Charge up all cell phones and computers.

I think that's about it - I know I'm making it sound scarier than it is, but I always take the road that it's better to be over prepared!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the tips!! I went to Target this afternoon and they had already run out of water. The garbage can/brita combo is great advice! The rest of It I sort of knew, but I'm so glad a "hurricane pro" thought of the same things i did :)
  • edited December 2011
    I love the trash can idea too! The water shelves were COMPLETELY empty!
  • edited December 2011
    Just came back from Target - water shelves practically empty. No flashlights, laterns, or anything except for $30 maglights. We bought one of those huge rubbermaid containers to fill with water. I was pretty annoyed at that point and only ended up walking away with a can of beans, haha. Then I had to listen to the guy in line talk about how people are stupid getting so hyped up about this hurricane. He only had microwavable and need to be cooked things. Ugh. Maybe I'll try some smaller local hardware stores tomorrow for the flashlight. I did buy lots of votive candles at the dollar store though.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • rswan412rswan412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Me too! I am worried- I have a lot of anxiety about weather related things for some reason...and plus I was supposed to get bridemaid dresses Sunday, looks like that's not happening, though I'm hoping for a miraculous "Oh no, it missed us"!!!

We will all be okay. I say we have a wedding planning party on the knot.com and make a fun day out of it....
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_stop-watching-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:d67dd34b-da89-4c19-9d74-9055cc69844dPost:dce42c03-31fd-41e2-8e55-2ef35f1dbb6a">Re: I have to stop watching the news...</a>:
    [QUOTE] I say we have a wedding planning party on the knot.com and make a fun day out of it....
    Posted by rswan412[/QUOTE]

Sounds fun! Just keep your fingers crossed for electricity ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards